Forums

Topic: Pure Xbox Game Club Double Bill - Banjo-Kazooie / Solar Ash (Apr)

Posts 1,441 to 1,460 of 3,356

Lavalera

@themightyant thanks. I might even replay it since the Lis games are very short and you can get different endings. I played it around black Friday sale so has been a few months ago and my memory isn't that good anymore, I play many games and when over 40 your memory seems to go down haha

PSNid: Lavalera

themightyant

Lavalera wrote:

When over 40 your memory seems to go down

Tell me about it! A little more memory loss and we might be able experience games/books/movies for the first time again 🤣

themightyant

themightyant

So I played quite a lot more last night and am really enjoying it now. Up to Chapter 13 I think and the hunt for Fin Fang Foon, I laugh every time Drax says it.

Still not a huge fan of the combat or movement, but there is a lot of heart in the story and real growth in the characters especially in growing together as a team. That alone has made it well worth a play to me. Should be able to play a bit more tomorrow.

Edited on by themightyant

themightyant

Banjo-

I'm still playing Guardians of the Galaxy but I haven't played any video games much in April anyway. The gameplay and the camera are the finest as in the recent Tomb Raider games. The only negative thing I can say this far is that I'm tired of the never-stopping chatter already, especially Rocket and Gamora's. Drax is great, "The current time is irrelevant", do you remember that bit? 🤣

Banjo-

ralphdibny

Hi all! This month's game is Life is Strange: True Colors. (Apologies for the spelling, it's just what the game is called!) Unfortunately I don't know a lot about this game or series as I haven't played any of them. I think this is the third entry, or perhaps the 4th or 5th if you count some spin offs.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy!

Here are some HLTB stats:

Main Story - 10 Hours

Main + Extras - 11½ Hours

Completionist - 13 Hours

Tag list (let me know if you want in or out!)

@Tothington91 @MAC26 @XBontendo @Justifier @LtSarge @Tjuz @nessisonett @crippyd @Krzzystuff @sib @Ryu_Niiyama @LeanerFasterStronger @cracked_seal @Mr-Fuggles777 @Mundaney @KilloWertz @Beagle @antifyre @Magabro @themightyant @ZeD @K1LLEGAL @Balta666 @Bmartin001 @Fran27 @Banjo- @R1spam @lookupmore @Dusk_Actual @Royalblues @Lavalera

Votes start from Zero again for June's choice of game:

A way out -
Brutal Legend - 2 (lvlra, grlqust,
Conker's Bad Fur Day/Live & Reloaded - 1 (balta,
Crysis -
Dead Space - 2 (lvlra, lkupmre,
Fable Anniversary -
The Gunk - 1 (mghtynt,
Hades -
Halo Wars -
It takes two -
Kameo: Elements of Power -
Maneater -
Mass Effect 1 LE - 7 (zed, lkupmre, wcb, srsstn, lljzy2, elfchi, jrvsmp,
Marvel Avengers -
One step closer to Eden -
Ori and the Will of the Wisps - 1 (clnkyld,
Perfect Dark -
Rage -
Sable - 1 (mghtynt,
Skul: The Hero Slayer -
Telling Lies -
Trek to Yomi - 3 (R1, klwtz, krzystf,
Tunic
Undertale -
Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus -
Yoku's Island Express - 1 (balta,

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

ZeD

@ralphdibny I have been playing this at the end of last month with my wife watching. Currently on chapter 4 and enjoying it so far. Chapter 3 is a lot of fun.
Next month vote for me would be ME1

ZeD

Xbox Gamertag: KratosRises3468 | Twitter:

Lavalera

I decided to do another playthrough with you guys. It is a short game and it has different endings so I'll try to do a different one as my previous one.
It was my first Life is strange game and I liked it very much. The characters are well thought out and the story is also pretty good. It is pretty relaxing since there really isn't any action and such.
Votes for next month: Brutal legend and Dead space.

Edited on by Lavalera

R1spam

I'm still bashing away at guardians and elden ring so I'm not sure I'll get round to life is strange. I might watch a let's play as I've already seen the first couple of hours. @Ralphdibny, can I stick another game on the list for June? Trek to yomi looks like it might be pretty decent and is day 1 gamepass, I would vote for that.

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

KilloWertz

True Colors is the fourth entry (Life is Strange, Life is Strange: Before the Storm, and Life is Strange 2 are the other three).

My vote would be Trek to Yomi for June.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Lavalera

@themightyant I remember that. After playing the first chapter you get the message to download it if you want to play further. Maybe it is because it was released episodically, but it was confusing because i bought the full game and was like, why didnt they tell me in advance?

themightyant

Guardians of the Galaxy mini-review. (I've tried to avoid spoilers as much as possible)

So where do I start with this one? I finally finished GotG over the weekend. I have very mixed feelings on individual parts of the game, but as a whole I really liked it.

What I didn't like?

• The combat was pretty bad imho. There was a little strategy involved but it wasn't deep or satisfying and always felt floaty, like nothing truly connected. The combat did get better as the game went on and you had access to multiple abilities per teammate on cooldown, but it never felt good to me.
  • The control scheme - Considering I always seemed to be holding LT to lock on, pressing LB to access Guardians moves was a bit awkward. As was clicking the L3 stick for StarLords and I sometimes pressed this by accident as a result. About half way through I wished i'd looked to see if there were other options, but by then it would have been harder to change.
  • The huddles. Loved the idea but the Quill's 'inspiring' speeches were more like pseudo-inspirational word salad and rarely made sense. A missed opportunity. Considering how good so much of the writing is, these were notably poor by comparison. I suspect they were a late addition to development, as they just don't feel written by the same writers. Also there was a fair amount of repeated dialogue in these and other combat moments that got tiresome.
  • The movement of Starlord himself was mostly like a X360 character, clunky, slow almost tank-like. Exploration was OK but I didn't feel compelled to do it due to the sluggish movement.
  • A few bugs. I fell through or got stuck in the world 3 or 4 times, thankfully a quick checkpoint restart meant I didn't lose much. Also some scenery or textures would sometimes glitch into place. Lastly I had a couple of times the game would drop to about 5fps and I had to boot back to the title screen to fix it. These were all pretty minor tbh and didn't impact my playthrough much.
  • Occasionally they would talk over each other, or because I had completed the last section quickly they just moved on from the current conversation. This was a shame as generally I wanted to hear what they were about to say.
  • Sliding down slopes was awkward, with some almost invisible gaps that led to instant death if you didn't jump over them, making these sections more annoying than they should be.
  • Squeezing through gaps to disguise level loading got very tiresome, I thought we were past that. I realise it's a cross-gen title but can developers cut these bits out if you're playing on next-gen systems!

Honestly it's quite a long list and none of this left a good first impression, but I'm glad I persevered because ultimately the good far outweighed the bad.

What I liked

• The WRITING. Each character felt unique with their own strengths and weaknesses and stayed true to their character throughout. Each team member had an arc that also better fleshed out their character but didn't feel tacked on.
  • The story & plot - While it was quite a run of the mill story of galaxy saving heroics, the team building plot that is woven into it was done effectively, I felt annoyed with Rocket at the start but loved him by the end. They did very well at controlling our emotions over the course of the game.
  • The gameplay matched the story - I loved that as the guardians came together they would do their traversal moves without you having too do it, the gameplay matched the story here. It's a small addition but one that was highly effective and added to that sense of teamwork and togetherness that the game is all about
  • The humour - The writing and delivery of the writing was brilliant, especially Drax, He's gold at times.
  • Voice acting - Each actor really sold me on the character. Once again Drax had me smiling almost every time he spoke yet he also had some deeper more heartfelt moments.
  • The Music - Wonderful 80's soundtrack some of which are played at just the right time. The huddles while poorly expected were worth it for this alone. I'll never forget a memorable boss fight near the end of the game being serenaded with Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up. Genius!
  • The Graphics - It's a good looking game, though I didn't often think 'Wow', diminishing returns... or eyesight

Closing thoughts
Despite a litany of smaller faults, and the generally poor combat, I really enjoyed the game as a whole. There is a LOT to build on for a potential sequel. I hope today's Embracer Group acquisition doesn't hamper that as I'd love to continue this adventure with these great characters.

Overall score: 7.5/10

themightyant

themightyant

@lookupmore @Balta666 @Lavalera

Fridge update My ending mentioned the fridge! I'm guessing due to some of the choices I made it said:

Star-Lord also received the "Key to Knowhere" from Cosmo for having helped him reject the Promise. It's currently propped up against the fridge to keep the door shut!

That gave me a chuckle... and closure. bah-dum-tish

themightyant

themightyant

@ralphdibny Thanks as ever for the admin. I'd like to vote for The Gunk and Sable. If Trek to Yomi gets decent reviews i'll vote for that too.

You can take Telling Lies off the list, I think i'm the only one that ever voted for it and i'm going to just play it on my own steam.

themightyant

Lavalera

@themightyant Good review of GotG. I completely agree with you. I think if they just fix the combat and keep al the good stuff that you mentioned we will have a great 2nd game (if they decide to make it) .

FraserG

@ralphdibny Would you like us to start promoting the Game Club every month with an article on the main site, or do you want to keep it totally restricted to this forum?

If I can help with anything, let me know and I'll see what I can do

Edited on by FraserG

News Editor, Pure Xbox

Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic