Forums

Topic: Pure Xbox Game Club - Rise of the Tomb Raider (May)

Posts 1,241 to 1,260 of 3,409

Banjo-

@Balta666 The combat is the main focus of this game so that's why it looks like a dungeon crawler game to me and the way you get points for upgrading your abilities (combat, speed...) to be able to go further reminds me of Hades but I liked Hades and I don't like Death's Door. Even the art and the music that have received praise, don't look great to me. There's nothing I like about this game but I gave it a chance and it didn't cost me anything thanks to Game Pass.

Banjo-

R1spam

@Banjo- it's a shame you haven't dug it but sometimes that's just how it goes. I can see why you compare it hades with that isometric point of view but hades had that rogue like every run has a different build/not all progress carries over whereas with deaths door I would agree with Balta666, its more 2d zelda with shortcuts permanently unlocked. Hades is a hell of a game though and one i really like it also. I've enjoyed my time with deaths door so far, I'm two major bosses down. It doesn't take itself too seriously either, I quite like the cheese writing!

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

Banjo-

@R1spam Enjoy! In regard to Hades, it's not perfect and I'm not a fan of the genre but it does so many things right and I can see and hear them. For fans of the genre I understand that it would be one of their favourite games ever. I want to try The Medium before it leaves Game Pass.

Banjo-

Banjo-

@Balta666 I'm not a fan of dungeon crawler games either. I beat Hades, I don't think I'll come back to it but all the artistic parts, the controls and the UI are very fine. It's also somewhat educational (Greek mythology names) and I liked that. It doesn't have maps but it's very intuitive to navigate and to control. It's repetitive but full of subtle changes and choices. All the great things about the game made me beat it and that's a huge compliment to the developer. I'd recommend everybody to at least try it on Game Pass but I'd understand if they give up, I almost did.

Banjo-

Balta666

Just realized that for some reason my post from saturday is not here... I have finished the game (the final boss only took me a couple of tries once I got it with a fresh mind and with the patience to take it slow and steady) and on sunday I actually got back to it and 100% completed the game including a final post credits ending.
The post credits game is actually quite cool and due to that it grow on me a little as my biggest criticism from the main game is both its short length and that dungeons full samey as their structure is allways the same (something a Zelda game does not do). In the end I still fill this is not a perfect game by any means but I would give it a solid 8/10

isturbo1984

Started Death's Door today. My first impression is "meh." It's fine. I give it an early C Grade. I don't know why people were championing this game so much. Probably because it was one of the few Xbox exclusives. It's pretty and has good atmosphere, but my main gripe is that there is too much empty space with no enough I'm doing. Also, are we renaming the options menu to "accessibility" instead?

Edit: Off-topic. But I'm probably getting banned. Some dirty mod decided to censor me and lie about the reasoning, accusing me of "hate speech." They didn't like me criticizing the idea that "laziness doesn't exist," no I'm not making that up. I've been down this route before. Mod with an agenda flexed on me and I'm not the kind of person to flinch. Result: ban hammer. So if I up an disappear, you know why. Just making this public.

Edited on by isturbo1984

"The Skeleton King, secret, post-credits 'true' final boss"
-Eldin Ring leaks

Banjo-

@isturbo1984 I agree about Death's Door.

Off-topic: I hope that you are not banned, there is no reason for it. Was it a mod bot? Anyway, your comments are clever and a joy to read. I have been hated to death on Nintendo Life by SKTTR for criticising Switch and nobody did anything. Well, they closed the thread and erased his sickening comments. He wasn't banned and he should have been. I really don't understand why some people insult and threaten and nothing happens. Actually, I wish those comments had not been erased for everyone to see how hateful he is. I hope to see you around here tomorrow!

Banjo-

isturbo1984

@Banjo- I think its agenda- fueled. I've been getting harassed by some activist users, even to go as far as outright call me names. And instead of enforcing the rules evenly, I'm the one getting censored. Because I know how that group operates, they all mass report people like me and all it takes is one mod who is either an "ally" or will appease the mob and not punish those who would file false flags. But before that happens, just wanted to give a shoutout to some of the awesome people in the community, you, @LtSarge and @ralphdibny in particular who have all been very cool, friendly and helpful for the short time I've been here.

Now okay. That's the last of all this nonsense lol. Back on topic. Death's Door isn't horrible. Just hasn't drawn me in like some of other amazing games. I especially enjoy the aesthetics and the music. I'm planning on finishing the game all the way through. I think I'm about to face off against the Witch. Combat hasn't given me much trouble yet.

Edited on by isturbo1984

-Eldin Ring leaks

ralphdibny

Apologies for being absent for the last week or so. I've just had it up to the earholes with work and it's left me physically and mentally injured. I really appreciate all the input into this thread and I hope everyone is well.

I've updated the list and this its current standings:

A way out -
Brutal Legend - 1 (Balta,
Conker's Bad Fur Day/Live & Reloaded - 2 (Balta, krzystuf,
Crysis - 1 (srge,
Dead Space -
Fable Anniversary - 1 (isturbo,
Forgotten City - 4 (mightyant, Balta, r1spm, antifyre,
The Gunk - 1 (mightyant,
Hades -
Halo Wars -
It takes two -
Kameo: Elements of Power -
Maneater -
Mass Effect 1 LE - 2 (isturbo, banjo
Marvel Avengers - 1 (r1spm,
One step closer to Eden -
Ori and the Will of the Wisps -
Perfect Dark - 1 (srge,
Rage -
Sable - 2 (mightyant, krzystuf,
Telling Lies - 1 (mightyant,
Undertale - 1 (Balta,
Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus - 2 (banjo, srge

See ya!

ralphdibny

@isturbo1984 cheers, I really appreciate that. I hope and also doubt you will get banned. I could be wrong but I tend to notice the ban hammer go down on people who continue arguments instead of ignoring antagonistic users. I think you'll be ok as long as you heed the Community Rules which most regulars do anyway so should be ok. Its worth reading them but I tend to think of the forums as like a family dinner. I try not to talk sex, politics or religion 😅. It doesn't mean I don't want to, I can be highly opinionated on things but it's just not worth the mental energy to convince someone with an opposing opinion on something, especially if I don't really care about it that much or it has no material effect on my every day life. In a Venn diagram, if my overlapping section is large enough with another user then I'm pretty much OK with it. That being said, I do actually ignore super trolls and/or shills 😅. Not with the button, but I just don't reply to them. Occasionally I might reply to a user they are conversing with if they are being fed one sided or incorrect information and might make a bad or uninformed decision on something. That's not just conversations they might be having with trolls and shills though, it could be just another well meaning user who has limited information.

It's also not worth engaging with those who you think are breaking the rules, the report button offers an anonymous solution to it and it keeps you out of trouble. I only really report technical things though such as obvious spam, advertising and very occasionally duplicate threads. I tend to steer clear of the opinion based stuff because who am I to tell someone their opinion is wrong? Also there are many things that come up in these forums/comment sections that I am just not well enough educated on to make a cogent argument, even if the same applies to those who are attempting their own argument.

Anecdotally, I only ever find issue if I've not conveyed myself properly. Sometimes I offer an opinion to form part of a discussion and in no way do I do it in order to belittle and or disregard somebody else's opinion. I just do it to make conversation, even if it is a contrary opinion. Sometimes I have to explain myself a bit better if negative connotations end up being the main takeaway for another user.

I hate the going in circles thing, where a discussion gets repeated and elaborated on for a long time even if the core points and disagreement remain the same. It's just far too mentally tiring for me to engage in (also to read) and seems a bit pointless. Two people can get along fine without broaching certain topics with one another and it's basically how the world works in real life. Planet Earth would come screeching to a halt if people were as convicted in their opinions in real life as they are online.

But yeah, really appreciate your words though. Apologies for my long tangent and musings on society in general and the microcosm that are these forums. Sometimes I like to share my passionate apathy, indignant indifference and stifled opinions 😂. I know those are oxymorons but what better way is there to define the contradictory nature of the human condition 😅

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

ralphdibny

@isturbo1984 just to reply to one of your earlier posts, everything you've suggested with regards to voting is fine. By all means vote for multiple games, suggest new games and also add votes later in the month if you think you fancy more or different games.

I think the only thing we try to avoid is revisiting previous games that have been chosen (the list is in Post 1 of this thread). Otherwise this backlog clearer of a thread will just become a backlog tickler and the same difficult to get in to games could come up again and again.

Oh yeah, I don't think it's come up yet since you've been with us but we tend to use spoiler tags e.g. [spoiler] text goes here [/ spoiler] (without the space in the second tag) if we are posting something that even smells slightly of a spoiler. It's not limited to story, could be gameplay based or unlockable based etc. particularly if it's late game content.

Also, off topic stuff is totally fine in this thread. Catch ups, musings, whatever really. You don't have to jump through hoops to tie it to the game we are playing. That's always been the case and it has never come close to getting out of hand so should be ok to continue in that way. I'm sure the people will speak if it becomes too much!

@Banjo- just to reply to your honest opinion post. Always good to read an honest opinion, even if it is negative. I do like to think that's possible here in Game Club without people jumping down their throat and telling them they are wrong. Nobody is forced to enjoy games or dislike games. 👍👍

I might avoid posts if I'm planning to play the game, just so I can go in fresh but that's my choice to do so. I always try and go back and read up if I can just to see how my thoughts differed or aligned with others!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

isturbo1984

So smacked that witch up in Deaths Door. Starting to get into the ebb and flow of things. Enjoying it a smidge more than I left off last time. All the same gripes however, nothing really improved. Just settling into a rhythm and enjoying the chill music. I slightly raise my initial grade from a C Grade to a C+ at this point. Currently in the middle of the second area/dungeon zone. how dew you geddat sonova bijjin hamma!?

@ralphdibny absorbing... absorbing... thanks

-Eldin Ring leaks

Banjo-

ralphdibny wrote:

I hate the going in circles thing, where a discussion gets repeated and elaborated on for a long time even if the core points and disagreement remain the same. It's just far too mentally tiring for me to engage in (also to read) and seems a bit pointless. Two people can get along fine without broaching certain topics with one another and it's basically how the world works in real life. Planet Earth would come screeching to a halt if people were as convicted in their opinions in real life as they are online.

It reminds me of @NEStalgia's points. I totally agree with both of you and I don't waste my time that way either. However, internet allows obsessive and insecure people to harass people anonymously and the topic can be as simple as "Disappointed by the lack of new exclusives"! My conclusion is that some people feel entitled to be disrespectful if you don't agree with them but I don't think that those people deserve my attention anyway. They wouldn't get a free pass in real life.

After giving Death's Door some of my free time, I moved to The Medium because it's leaving Game Pass very soon. Since it has not been part of this club, I might post a review on the following thread. Just give me a few more days because I'll finish this one.

https://www.purexbox.com/forums/xbox_one/xbox_games_youve_rec...

@isturbo1984 I'm happy to see you around here. Some of your posts make me LMAO because they're clever, straightforward and honest. Don't loose that essence of yours!

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@ralphdibny LOL there's some people you can talk religion and basically oppose their beliefs in the extreme, and still be totally cool with them. But if you criticize their favorite video game company fire and brimstone shall rain from the skies.... Harder to avoid the latter on a video game forum though.... IDK though, sometimes i think the problem is that everyone avoids broaching certain topics with each other so that real live becomes a matter of walking on an intricate network of fabricate eggshells, because there's a tapestry of taboos that everything falls apart if any one person says the wrong thing to any other person and everything is restricted to this weird dance of corporate-approved statement/response pairs. Then they go on the internet AND YOU'RE ALL WRONG RAWWWRR!! It's the one place people can say what they really think without the opinion police arresting them, and it ends up being an overcompensation for the fact that real dialogue is forbidden IRL, and as a result nobody actually knows how to engage in real dialog. How did I get tagged in here, @Banjo- ?

Well, to stay on topic despite not participating in the club, I do have to put an honest opinion of Hades up there. It's overrated. I see what it did, and what makes it stand out for its genre. And I admit it was well done for what it was, and had me enthralled through the first realm. But it quickly becomes "just another rogue" where it's limited by the required repetition. The progression, pattern, and Diablo II-like action is really well-made but it shows its cracks and limited scope once you reach the first boss. Again. That game could have been so, so, so much more had it had the ability to be a full campaign instead of a repeating rogue, but it feels like it got the praise worthy of that imaginary game rather than the game it was.

NEStalgia

Banjo-

@NEStalgia I do no know, because you're reasonable and it gives me hope ðŸĪŠ.

Banjo-

Balta666

@NEStalgia I can understand your feelings regarding Hades as in the end it is a roguelite... However I am someone that thinks other supergiant games are overrated (I played both bastion and transition) as they are not great mechanics wise and for me a narrator over combat does not work as I cannot focus on both at the same time. On the other hand I got in love with Hades as the game is challenging and the story got me to go back again and again and again for more than 80h while on transition I was bored when the credits roles after 3/4h.
But that is the beauty of different oppinions

Edited on by Balta666

ralphdibny

@NEStalgia i'm not sure really. A real life echo chamber is much smaller and rightfully so. One might only voice their most extreme opinions to a small group of close-knit friends. I think you'll know soon enough if one of your extreme opinions is too extreme. Society without the internet, works to whittle out extremities. Restraint gets shown around strangers and acquaintances one is less friendly with, not out of any respect but out of a desire to make your own life easier.

I think the addition of the internet into the mix, while it can give some very frustrated and stifled individuals a space to breathe, relax and speak their mind (myself included in that, by the way). It also seems to have the more damaging effect of validating the most extreme opinions in your average every day Joe, something that would have been whittled out by the smaller sample size mentioned in my first paragraph. This unfortunately creates this very "me vs. them" attitude that appears to engulf modern society and sadly it trickles down from the online world into the real world, causing issues between friends and families.

It's not a simple thing to try and define really, especially as it is different for every single person and every single situation. Often as well, one can make a judgment based on what the loudest (most echoed) voices are saying rather than those who chose to stay silent. It's like a meta-meta-society and decisions get made for the mass of silent types based on the opinion of the loud minority.

Please do excuse my vagueness, I am going to crawl back under my rock for another hundred years and ponder society some more 😂. I think we are more or less saying similar things but attributing different societal quirks to either the online or offline world in different ways.

See ya!

NEStalgia

@Balta666 I do agree about previous Super Giant games being overrated. And I agree that Hades is less "meh" than their previous hyped games. At least I consistently seem to have a "meh" opinion of all SG games I just don't find their games very engaging at all. Hades was engaging until the first boss and it went hard into the rogue pattern.

@ralphdibny If it were up to me I'd do away with the internet, smartphones, airlines, and basically everything that increased that sample size over the last quarter-century making every day living worse and worse while somehow creating spreadsheets that show it's better and better. I grumble about tribalism but in reality I think it's the inverse. Tribes where people can exist within a common group erecting borders between them and other groups are how humanity thrived for aeons. The internet, globalism and all that try to merge everyone into one giant tribe by force. That used to be called empire building....and never tended to end very well... Instead of separate groups with their own customs, be it nations, or just regional subcultures, or social circles within a smaller group walling themselves off from others we end up with one large group where everyone tries to take control of the whole in favor of pockets of groups with common ideas and steer the rest of the whole into their customs, and no two groups can win, one must be destroyed for the other to thrive. So everyone's at war with everyone, always, in the name of "unity" because they all have different ideals of "right" but only one set of ideals can rule the unified society, winner take all. If you can't have your own little walled off culture with it's own values, then the rest of culture must be converted to embrace your groups values by any means necessary.

Though that's more about the real world problems than the Internet version of them. The Internet version is more like the black site for sociological weapons testing.

I wish humans/scientists/technologists would more often ask if they should before they ask if they could. We have a habit of inventing things that are loaded with unforeseen negative consequences that easily could have been seen if the thing was thought about on a sociological scale before it was created in the name of a quick buck.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic