Forums

Topic: General Xbox Series X|S Thread

Posts 501 to 520 of 1,430

Senua

Gaijin Games to Run at 4K/1440P@60 on Xbox Series X/S with RT & VRS; DirectML Support Being Explored
https://wccftech.com/gaijin-games-to-run-at-4k-1440p60-on-xbo...

Are you using other DirectX12 Ultimate features such as Variable Rate Shading (VRS), Mesh Shading, and Sampler Feedback on Xbox Series consoles?

Yes, at the moment we are using VRS with Mesh Shading and Sampler Feedback on the way.

Edited on by Senua

Senua

BAMozzy

More from Digital Foundry's Back Compat testing...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

Kalvort

Has the Series X been back in stock in the UK since selling out the first time? I have been checking everyday but no luck as of yet.

I was hoping for a walk in store purchase so I can trade-in my One X towards it. That's looking extremely unlikely. I also spoke to the kind assistants at my local GAME store and they all said to not expect more stock until Christmas!!

Edited on by Kalvort

Kalvort

SGS756

Hi everybody. This is my first post here.

I have a Series X and S on pre-order. But one thing I'm wondering is if either console will support HDMI 1.4 like the Xbox One consoles?

SGS756

BAMozzy

@SGS756 read the reply and further responses in the thread where you asked - it should 'work' in the sense that you will get at least a picture on screen but you won't get 120fps options, you won't get VRR, ALLM, HDR etc - you are limited to the spec of HDMI 1.4 - it does not have the bandwidth or feature set that these consoles will ship with so missing out on those. The Xbox One was a HD console and HDMI 1.4 was adequate for HD - upto 1080/60. Both next gen consoles are UHD (as in 4k and HDR) - the Series S may run games in engine at 1440p but will be upscaled to 4k to send a 4k image to a 4k TV. You may find some game mode options are not available to you - like Gears 5, Dirt 5, Ori etc at 120fps and offer little more than the Xbox One (other than better frame rates). You won't benefit from auto HDR so the benefits will be quite limited...

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

BAMozzy

Interesting tweet from Xbox...

We're thrilled to keep our 15 year partnership going into the next generation & proud Xbox Series X|S will be the only next gen consoles with full RDNA 2 integration.

Although that could be misleading but still interesting....

SGS756

@BAMozzy Thank you for the insightful advice. It's greatly appreciated.

SGS756

Senua

When a trillion $ behemoth like Microsoft tells you it’s the only console with full RDNA2 you hafta absolutely accept it, otherwise they will be facing massive legal violations.

Senua

carlos82

@Senua I've got to agree, I don't see Microsoft saying such things if it weren't true and it also explains a lot. Such as the small size of the PS5 GPU and very high clock speed, whilst Xbox seems very similar to the new AMD cards in size and speed and also the power supply which is bigger in the PS5, suggesting its less efficient

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

JGRockford

Yeah, I'm very interested in that quote. I had seen ps5's "based" on RDNA 2, but I'm curious on what differences that may have between the 2 systems.

I'm looking forward to comparisons.

Edit:
From what I understand, there's been a couple of cases where the Principal Graphics Engineer stated the PS5 utilises a combination of RDNA 1, with some RDNA 2 features (such as Ray Tracing), and that features such as machine learning will be missing.

imgur.com/a/5KKMRUT
imgur.com/a/N7EtiCS

Furthermore, in reading that:
This is the core reason why it doesn’t support things like Mesh Shading, Tier 2 VRS(unconfirmed), and as above, Machine Learning hardware support which has been already shown back in Feb running on Xbox Series X to be able to automatically upgrade real time original Xbox titles from non HDR period to HDR without any changes in coding using DirectML.

Having delayed their dev kits (in comparison to how early Sony has sent out their's) may have allowed them to take advantage of more recent technology, and their transparency in hardware in recent months really shows confidence in their product.

Edited on by JGRockford

JGRockford

CRANIAL

I waited too long to pre-order an series s. Now they are sold out everywhere in Canada.
I would prefer to buy from MS store or Walmart but them , and no one else will put me on a list for when they become available again. The games I am looking forward to playing are The Falconeer (can buy it and try it on the Xbox one) but i doubt my TV is 4K. Also MS Flight sim 2020

CRANIAL

Senua

“Xbox Series X|S are the only next-generation consoles with full hardware support for all the RDNA 2 capabilities AMD showcased today.”
“At the very beginning of development of the Xbox Series X | S, we knew we were setting the foundation for the next decade of gaming innovation and performance across console, PC and cloud. To deliver on this vision we wanted to leverage the full capabilities of RDNA 2 in hardware from day one. Through close collaboration and partnership between Xbox and AMD, not only have we delivered on this promise, we have gone even further introducing additional next-generation innovation such as hardware accelerated Machine Learning capabilities for better NPC intelligence, more lifelike animation, and improved visual quality via techniques such as ML powered super resolution.”

”In our quest to put gamers and developers first we chose to wait for the most advanced technology from our partners at AMD before finalizing our architecture. Now, with the upcoming release of Xbox Series X|S and the new AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series GPUs, developers have a common set of next-generation tools and performance capabilities that will empower them to deliver transformative gaming experiences across both console and PC.”

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/10/28/a-closer-look-at-how-x...

I’m happy this is confirmed officially putting all the debates at rest.

Edited on by Senua

Senua

BazzaRFC

Will the USB c port on the new controllers be able to be charged directly using a phone charger? Or is the port only for use with xcloud gaming on phones?

BazzaRFC

Banjo-

Some developers leaked that information and now Microsoft confirms, PS5 is not true RDNA2 in spite of some PS fanboys saying that it's RDNA2+3. They can hate Phil Spencer and Xbox games as much as they want, the truth is that Series X is the best console of the next generation. More compact, more advanced, more powerful, more efficient and cooler.

Banjo-

JGRockford

Nailed it!
Facts are facts, and while people do hate on Phil, he's turned XBox around. Microsoft have been incredibly transparent with their hardware, and while there are NDAs in place, we'll soon see that while PS5 is an incredibly fast piece of hardware, it will lack the power and future proof features that XBox now holds.

While the PS fanboys will be in meltdown, I do expect Sony to release a mid generation Pro console that does take advantage of more recent technology.

This dropped earlier:

Even the difference in packaging speaks volumes!

💜

JGRockford

Senua

@BlueOcean It’s funny when RDX gang said that, they received huge backlash but when “moore’s law is ded” peddled all lies about “RDNA3 13tf” and disguised it as some “exclusive insider info” nobody batted an eye. It’s good to see Microsoft finally revealed the truth after AMD’s embargo ended knowing well all the legal risks associated with it.

Edited on by Senua

Senua

Banjo-

@Senua @JGRockford The facts have arrived. The RDNA3 part was very funny when PS5 doesn't even have full RDNA2.

EDIT: I'm watching the video, the PS5 is really enormous. The packaging of the PS5 is the same as the packaging of eggs LOL.

The Astro "game" borrows some ideas from Super Mario games such as hovering, pulling wires/tentacles, slides, ice-skating with spin jumps and the DS blow to spin the fan moments are here, gimmicks are back!

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic