Forums

Topic: General Xbox Series X|S Thread

Posts 281 to 300 of 1,430

LtSarge

So I would take this with a huge grain of salt, but I've been seeing some people on Twitter speculating that something related to Xbox and SEGA could be announced soon.

It's probably nothing at all, but I still find this interesting after having now seen Microsoft acquiring ZeniMax. They are most likely able to acquire SEGA as well or come to some form of an exclusivity agreement (since I've heard that the Japanese state doesn't allow for huge acquisitions), which would help add lots of Japanese franchises to their portfolio. I know I'd switch to Xbox permanently if Microsoft acquires SEGA because they also own Atlus who owns the Persona series, which is one of my favourite franchises of all time. If the Persona games come out on Xbox then that'd be absolutely insane.

Not to mention that the tweet has a hashtag of TGS2020 and we already know that Microsoft will have a presence at that show. On top of that, the only thing Xbox is lacking in now is Japanese games on Game Pass. So a lot could point to some form of an announcement, but I would take it with a huge grain of salt nevertheless.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

Senua

@LtSarge Someone has again created another 4chan speculation. 😂

Untitled

Edited on by Senua

Senua

LtSarge

@Senua If that were true, then that'd be absolutely amazing. I've played Yakuza 3 and a lot of people have complained that the game is the worst in the series, so it'd make sense to remake it. They have been releasing the Yakuza games on Game Pass pretty much nonstop, which is why I find it weird that they haven't released the other games yet.

But yeah I mean, Microsoft usually doesn't show up for TGS right? That's why I feel like some form of announcement will be made, even if it's not related to SEGA. A man can only dream though lol. I would love it if this were true.

LtSarge

Justifier

If MS bought Sega, that would be hilarious just for pushsquare comments alone.

"Wake me... when you need me."

Xbox Gamertag: Justifier1651

NEStalgia

Normally I'm against huge monopolies gobbling up other big companies, but in this case, I'm not sure even the most ardent Sony fan could complain....it's not like Sega could languish any worse than under Sammy?

I really doubt that's possible though. MS has a great relationship with Sega (Sega helped design the X-BOX after all, and Microsoft built the OS for Dreamcast), and Sega is PC focused primarily, but I just can't see MS doing the "we don't really own you" thing with a big Japanese company. "Persona 6 on PC, XBox Series S, Series X, and Nintendo Switch" would be hilarious though. I fear anyone that's ever posted on PureXBox would be permabanned on site at PushSquare though.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Tasuki

So anyone want to guess when the next wave of preorders for the X will be available? I am thinking 3 weeks.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

sixrings

My EB games (Canadian gamestop) said this was going to be the only preorders they received before launch.

sixrings

The_Guy626

Microsoft's post on Twitter 16 hours ago said,

"...If you weren't successful today, be sure to sign up with retailers for updates, and expect more consoles to be available on November 10..."

So guess there won't be any more preorders?

The_Guy626

TheFrenchiestFry

Unpopular opinion for this site but I really hope that all of these major studio acquisitions don't become the norm going forward. I speak as someone who plays on PC and invests in the ecosystems for all three major console manufacturers. I doubt the rumors of Microsoft acquiring SEGA are true at all but I also just really don't want stuff like that to happen. I don't want this gen to turn into a rat race for who can scoop up which companies and lock previous multiplat franchises to a single platform. It promotes competition but not competition I consider healthy if it's done repeatedly in a short span of time. I think Bethesda will be great under Microsoft but I really don't want this to be turned into the standard of getting exclusive content on platforms. If anything I'd actually take Sony's timed exclusivity on stuff like Final Fantasy XVI and VII Remake over Microsoft constantly acquiring studios and multiplat IPs.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

The_Guy626

TheFrenchiestFry wrote:

Unpopular opinion for this site but I really hope that all of these major studio acquisitions don't become the norm going forward. I speak as someone who plays on PC and invests in the ecosystems for all three major console manufacturers. I doubt the rumors of Microsoft acquiring SEGA are true at all but I also just really don't want stuff like that to happen. I don't want this gen to turn into a rat race for who can scoop up which companies and lock previous multiplat franchises to a single platform. It promotes competition but not competition I consider healthy if it's done repeatedly in a short span of time. I think Bethesda will be great under Microsoft but I really don't want this to be turned into the standard of getting exclusive content on platforms. If anything I'd actually take Sony's timed exclusivity on stuff like Final Fantasy XVI and VII Remake over Microsoft constantly acquiring studios and multiplat IPs.

Agreed, and well said.

Eventually there's just going to be one super console that can run all the games. It'll cost $1000, and profits get split.

The_Guy626

Senua

This was a great RDX podcast. Within months, it has become really huge now considering Microsoft executives have started coming here to chat with viewers.

Edited on by Senua

Senua

BAMozzy

Untitled

I have mine secured!!!

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

BAMozzy

@TheFrenchiestFry Exclusives are anti-consumer. They are there to make you buy into that ecosystem - not just the hardware as that can often be sold at a loss. By being on that platform, they will make money from ALL purchases - whether its a first party game or multi-platform release - they will get a percentage from ALL software sold. Its the same situation that Epic are fighting Apple over right now.

As a PC owner, the deals MS made perhaps won't affect you in terms of being able to access games - the choice of how/where you access them though could be affected. For example, Starfield may now not be coming to Steam and you would have to purchase through the Microsoft Store but on the other hand, you could have Game Pass and play it on PC, Console and/or Mobile for 'free' on Day 1. I say 'free' because you don't have to pay any extra to play it on day 1 although I know you are paying money for your Subscription. Whether the choice to play on Playstation or not remains, we will see.

If you do have multiple platforms, you aren't necessarily impacted by the deals as you can still access any game. Its not as if you can't play the game because its locked to Microsoft, Sony etc but what it can do is affect your choice. Hypothetically, if MS were to purchase Sega for example, you wouldn't suddenly be locked out of playing a future Sega game on PC or Xbox, but your choice to play it on Switch or Playstation may well be affected. I think that there would potentially be a bigger chance of playing it on Switch maybe than on PS - depending on the game (a new Sonic for example) - but MS would probably still assess on a Game by Game basis.

What would concern me more would be if Sony were to buy up some established studio(s) as I think they would be far more reluctant to release games on other platforms (PC excluded) regardless of history. That being said, if you own a Playstation, it wouldn't impact on your ability to play a game - just limit the choice of where you access it.

Personally, I would be happy if Exclusives don't exist. Every game is released on hardware that can run it to a satisfactory standard. No point releasing a game that struggles to run more than 20fps at less than 580p on a Switch for example - just to release it on that hardware. You should have the choice on what hardware you want based on cost, based on spec, based on features, based on controller layout preference, whether its portable or not etc and not be 'forced' to buy hardware just to play the game(s) you want. Of course that doesn't benefit the manufacturers of hardware because they want to force you to buy into that ecosystem and spend money so they get their slice - even if they do 'nothing' but build a box of electronics that other peoples hard work will run on.

MS were a software company first and foremost and seem happy to sell games on other platforms - and of course would prefer you buy their console over a Playstation as they then get a cut on other software released. But it doesn't matter if you don't buy the console and opt to game on PC or Mobile, buy their Game Pass and/or games through their store. Making those games run on more platforms is in their interest - as it means that developers are not making a few games for Mobile, a few games for PC and a few for Console - they are making a Lot of games for ALL those. It also means that as a consumer, you can start playing on your PC, carry on playing on your mobile on the train to and from work, and then carry on playing on your Console from the sofa in the evening if you want - don't need to buy multiple versions with non-transferable save points. Its perhaps not totally anti-consumer as it is locked to the Xbox family but does give you more choice and options as to how and where you play than others offer.

One of the Studio's in the Zenimax deal has only made Mobile Games so far and that could also be attractive to MS - with Gears Pop for example. I don't know what this deal may mean long term for MS as Bethesda do retain some 'independence' too so we will have to see. Ultimately, if these deals help studio's develop more games with less issues because of a bigger resource pool - not just 'money', but knowledge, experience, tools etc, I don't mind too much. I can't see a time when Exclusives no longer exist - even if they are anti-consumer. I would much prefer to see multi-platform exclusive deals banned (no more 'extra' content, earlier release of DLC etc) as all that does is cause division and anger between gamers where as 1st party exclusives at least aren't changing others the same for less content or making them wait to get the same content. I also think that these deals have saved studio's from going under (although we have seen some studio's get closed down too) so we will have to see how things transpire. It may provide opportunities to 'grow' studio's, for staff to move around internally so if Studio A isn't economic to keep open, those staff have opportunity to move to other studio's within the family to grow them up rather than find themselves unemployed.

At the end of the day, I just want to play the games I want on the platform I want. Deals won't stop me having access to games - as I will have both a Series X and PS5 - but may just impact on what platform I am 'forced' to play them on and could impact those who will have their access and opportunity to enjoy the game(s) removed. It also divides gamers instead of uniting them....

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

BAMozzy

@The_Guy626 I got mine from SimplyGame yesterday at 8am - I just received an official email today confirming that my Series X Bundle is 'secured' and will be delivered on the official day of release.

If you are looking to find a pre-order now, I don't know if there are any more in stock and/or where. Like I said, I managed to get mine pre-ordered yesterday morning when pre-ordering went live but it was only today that I got this email...

The_Guy626

@BAMozzy

I was there at 7:59, and refreshed right at the drop of 8:00

I had Amazon, Best Buy, and Microsoft open. Nothing changed on any of them when 8:00 hit. They still said "Item Unavailable", "Coming Soon", and "Out Of Stock" respectively.

Nothing seemed to change until around 11:30 when Best Buy had the button for preorder, but gave an error at the top saying "Due to high stock, we were unable to put this item in your cart" Or something to that nature.

Overall, sad day for me.
It's not the end of the world. I've got what I think is the newest model of the Xbox One X, so I don't particularly care about not getting it right away. Just a bummer is all. Was gonna sell my Xbox to a friend because she can't afford one at full price.

The_Guy626

Senua

Finally the podcast we were waiting for.

Edited on by Senua

Senua

BAMozzy

@The_Guy626 I am in the UK and had to try several different stores at 8am. I also registered my interest in advance to various stores and in the end, an email link to purchase a bundle was the only one that allowed me to purchase without issues. MS crashed as I added to basket, GAME had a long waiting list to just log in to my account. I didn't want to buy a Bundle but that was the 'first' option that I had that wasn't playing up so I bought there and then rather than try and find another retailer selling just the console and if not, come back and find the bundle sold out.

I cannot even access the bundle online anymore because its gone. There was no way I was going to wait - the first one that I could buy, I bought and would of gone from one retailer to the next, to the next until I found one I could buy immediately. As soon as MS crashed, I gave up on that option and moved to the next. I kept it open just in case I had to come back....

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic