Forums

Topic: General Xbox Series S Thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 171

Kefka2589

@Darylb88 They said not to lick the controller, but can I lick the box? Is that okay to do?

Edited on by Kefka2589

Kefka2589

HotGoomba___Rebrand

@Kefka2589 Feel free too!

That one stupid jokester on this website.

Oh yeah, and I hate New Super Mario™ Bros U® Deluxe

BAMozzy

More details on the Falconeer - it doesn't have any texture maps at all - so maybe why it can hit higher than 1440p on Series S - not having to stream all those textures from RAM and obviously not impacting on VRAM too....

Not bad for just a single developer...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

Darylb88

Things have been pretty quiet for series S marketing wise the last month...

Darylb88

Kefka2589

@Darylb88 Capcom just sent out an email. No ray tracing on DmC5 for Series S.

Kefka2589

graysoncharles

@Kefka2589 it's expected. There's no way that a 4tf gpu would handle ray tracing on a graphically complex game like dmc 5. I still don't know why MS decided to market the series s as such. Very, very few games will benefit from it. I'm more than satisfied if the game can hit 1440p60 and 1080p120, with or without RT on the series s

graysoncharles

Darylb88

@Kefka2589 I presume Watch Dogs Legion won't have RTX either, not sure why they advertised ray tracing if not even one of the cross gen games will run it in the launch window. Games will only become more demanding. I will probably get a Series X next spring.

Edited on by Darylb88

Darylb88

Kefka2589

@graysoncharles I know of the complexities presented by RT, more or less my point is that the way MS has presented the Series S doesnt seem to be entirely aligning with reality. They've shown so little footage at this point people still just arent quite sure what they've purchased. I'm guessing DMC5 will probably be a similar situation to Yakuza. 1440 30 and hopefully 1080 60. I genuinely dont expect anything beyond that.

Kefka2589

Kefka2589

@Darylb88 I really have no idea about Watch Dogs. That video Jason Ronald did breaking down the Series S showed some quick clips of Watch Dogs and it looked to be ray traced. But I really have no idea if that was actual Series S footage. I still had the option to opt out of my S and into an X and I did it without blinking. Oh well. Maybe it'll change my mind later. But I'm not rolling the dice on it.

Kefka2589

graysoncharles

@Kefka2589 "But I really have no idea if that was actual Series S footage."
Perhaps the footage was from series x, or that the series s maybe has a form of fake RT, like faster screen-spaced reflections or something new

graysoncharles

Kefka2589

@graysoncharles See, that's the part we just have no way of knowing. At the bottom of the video it says something akin to "Series S hardware and Series S games are still under development." So I don't know if maybe they just didn't have a Series S version of Valhalla or Watch Dogs quite ready to show off. I had ordered a Series S based off of that presentation, but the more info I see coming out the less I want it. The whole thing is honestly getting a bit disappointing. I wish they'd just show us the stinkin games already.

Kefka2589

Kefka2589

@Senua 1080p60 with RT, yeah. The PS5 modes are exactly the same as the Series X modes.

Kefka2589

Senua

@Kefka2589 There’s a reason why more expensive GPUs surpass performance due to higher CU count, it’s just not about mere 4K resolution, it’s about the additional textures, special effects, high res ray traced AO, GI, volumetric shadows, DLSS/DirectML etc. which will absolutely require more CU headroom. Some next-gen optimisations like mesh shading geometry engine, VRS Tier 2, Sampler Feedback are necessary to free much of CU headroom and something which Capcom has said they are still scratching the surface of Scarlet generation consoles.

Edited on by Senua

Senua

graysoncharles

@Kefka2589 yeah. When I first read the lockhart rumors, I thought they were a joke because, really, how is a next gen console be graphically weaker than it's 6tf predecessor? And... here we are. I would've really wanted the series s to have at least 6tf to better handle 4k and a minimum use of RT

graysoncharles

Senua

@graysoncharles “To better handle 4k” Except it’s only supposed to render at 4 times less pixels and targeted for different set of demographic. Also terraflops cannot be compared like that across generations. A 6tf GCN is actually weaker than 4tf RDNA2 with not only huge IPC improvements but also additional optimisations and features. According to the hardware team, Series S is designed in-line to deliver at 1080p/1440p optimised experience afterall. For good RT performance, even 36CUs is too less and do not provide desirable headroom without making other compromises (low res reflections with hybrid screen space solutions). But it’s targeted for a different set of casual market who will hardly care about Digitalfoundry analysis but just wants get into some casual gaming. Hats off to Xbox hardware team, they have actually made no compromises on things that actually matter (like CPU, I/O) assuring smooth performance for next-gen game designs without any noticeable difference to casual gamers. Rest of the graphical features will be scalable like it has always been for PC.

Edited on by Senua

Senua

Kefka2589

@Senua I'm perfectly aware of that. I don't require a lecture.

@graysoncharles Of course one TF of RDNA2 is greater than one TF of GCN. Jason Ronald presented the Series S as basically having roughly the same GPU power as the One X, with all the next gen bells and whistles, just without the 4K target. So I put a little faith in the guy and took his word for it. But I think a 4TF RDNA2 just isn't going to cut it in some aspects. So to hit that $300 price tag they really had to take a hit on the GPU and SSD. Either way the machine will preform perfectly fine. But I just don't think it's going to be like a Series X, just lower resolution, like they sorta presented it as. We're going to see lower texture quality, lighting, particle effects, the whole lot I'd say. Which doesn't bother me in the grand scheme of things. It's honestly what I expected, but like I said, I was being generous and took MS's word that it would be more than what it actually is. The Coalition has Gears 5 running in 1080 at 120fps and it's very impressive. But that surely required some hefty amounts of optimizing. I just don't see many devs spending that much time polishing Series S versions of their games. So we'll see what the future holds for the little guy. But in the end, I think it'll do just fine for a lot of people.

Kefka2589

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic