Forums

Topic: Dark Souls III

Posts 221 to 240 of 453

stylon

Thanks chaps... got myself a new 'to do' list now. Will keep hold of the Soul, like you say I can always earn more souls...

@crippyd I went for the collectors edition guide because... well why not? Hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow.

stylon

Xbox Gamertag: stylon

holchasaur

@stylon: No problem. I'm happy to help in any way I can.

So, now that you're making some progress and learning the language of Dark Souls, how do you feel about the game?

For a while it's going to be stressful and overwhelming, but almost out of nowhere you'll reach a point where it just clicks and becomes comfortable. I mean, it's only going to get harder the deeper you get, but every time you learn something new you're going to feel like victory is right within reach. And if ever a boss is seemingly insurmountable and you want to keep making progress, seriously, don't hesitate to summon a human player. You don't have to worry about voice chat, and you don't have to worry about players lingering in your world; they automatically leave as soon as you beat the boss fight or die. Just make sure you're in Ember mode if you want to summon someone (even NPCs, I think). If you're not, use an Ember and then you can search for summon signs just outside of a boss door.

Reviews Editor, Pure Xbox
Reviewer, Nintendo Life

Xbox Gamertag: holchasaur | Twitter:

crippyd

@stylon mine is not due to arrive until next week at some point.

crippyd

Xbox Gamertag: Crippy D

A_BabyRed_Yoshi

@stylon:
I would sure love an e-guide, as janky as it might be!

I just bought a dark souls 3 tshirt, and a wallscroll
It's gonna look the dope, as the kids say

Guinea pig owner, Xbox gamer.

Xbox Gamertag: A BabyRed Yoshi

Red620Ti

I managed to beat the Dragonslayer Armour last night, with the help of a human and an NPC! The funniest bit was as we were all ready to go through the mist door, I was invaded.. The invader took one look at us and then ran away! Cue a chase through the tower as my two allies, and my helper from the Way of the Blue caught this guy and messed him up.

Ah, comedy Dark Souls times....

"Justin Bieber looks like a lesbian i'd like to ****..." - Megakillscreen,out of frickin' nowhere!

Xbox Gamertag: Red620Ti

stylon

@DRL: It's weird... I started out really impressed by the intro, the amazing looking world and so on and the way I was gently introduced to the rudimentary elements of movement and combat. But then BAM like a kick to the gonads I was suddenly in a world of pain and I hated it because it was inexplicably, frustratingly hard. Now I've got past that I'm really warming to it... love the world, reminds me an awful lot of Shadow of the Colossuss, both with the ancient world to explore and the huge boss encounters. I'm enjoying the RPG elements and leveling up but am still frustrated by how obtuse and unfriendly it all is. Still haven't got a clue how to cast magic spells and so on. Old biddy sells a healing miracle or something similar but I don't know if that's a one time use thing or what so I've not risked purchasing it. Feels like the assume you've already played the other 2 and just chuck you in the deep end lol.

I'm really glad I took the plunge though and got to experience the game, even if I've only just scratched the surface... I'd like to think I have what it takes to complete it but only time will tell!

@A_BabyRed_Yoshi: No problem, it's yours when I get it

@Red620Ti: Say what? Sounds like I need to keep my game offline at all times in that case... it's hard enough as it is without PVP thrown into the mix

stylon

holchasaur

@Red620Ti: Dragonslayer was one of the hardest bosses for me. I'm still not sure how I beat the game without summoning any help. A few of the bosses beat me into the dirt more times than I'd like to admit. Dragonslayer Armour, The Nameless King, and Champion Gundyr to name a few. The final boss battle was also challenging at first, but that's largely due to the length of the fight. Pacing yourself is the key to success!

@stylon I totally get what you mean about the obtuse nature of the game. Bloodborne was my first "Souls" game, and I had no clue how things worked when I started. I didn't know that grinding to level up was part of the gameplay loop. I didn't know baiting and pulling was an essential aspect of combat; I just assumed I should run in and swing as wildly as I would in Bayonetta or DmC. Hell, I didn't even realize how much experimentation was involved in every facet of the game. Bloodborne was even worse for newcomers, as it didn't have a proper tutorial area.

Once you understand the fundamentals, however, I think the ambiguity is a good thing. I love the fact that I've completed Dark Souls III and I'm STILL discovering tricks, mechanics, and uses for items. It's the reason I'm still constantly thinking about and playing a game that I've already sunk 80 hours into. Other than The Witcher 3, I'm not sure I can say that about any other game/series.

Reviewer, Nintendo Life

sorethumbed

@A_BabyRed_Yoshi: You kinda need to take the word 'the' out of 'the dope' and just put dope as per Mr WillIAm. The dope is like saying 'I will look the fool' this side of the pond.

Ancient, Angry, Armed and Inbound.

Xbox Gamertag: Sorethumbed

A_BabyRed_Yoshi

I just beat the Consumed king dragon abomination nightmare of super scary terror. I thought it was a dead end after him, but apparently there's more? Remember that @DRL ?
I haven't played in a few days though, it's almost finals week (T-T )

I've been playing Ark in my free time, would anyone else be interested in playing with me if I can?

Guinea pig owner, Xbox gamer.

Xbox Gamertag: A BabyRed Yoshi

Red620Ti

Finally managed to get through the Grand Archives, without doubt the hardest bit of the game yet. Upgraded my bonfire fully, and went to meet the last Lord of Cinder. On the way though, why only throw 1 massive Golden Winged Knight at me, game, why not throw three at once?! Oh wait, you did....Thank goodness for my mad running away/shooting in the face with arrows skillz...

Oh, and the last Lord wasn't happy to see me.

"Justin Bieber looks like a lesbian i'd like to ****..." - Megakillscreen,out of frickin' nowhere!

stylon

@Red620Ti: That bit sounds scarily difficult... got to be one of the few games where I actually fear what's around the corner or through the next gate! Didn't know you could upgrade bonfires - what does that do?

Had my first invasion last night and I just ran like a little girl to the next bonfire (dilapidated bridge) so I could save and quit. (In my defense it was almost 1am). I've got my game set to offline too so don't know how the guy managed to invade but just as I sat at the bonfire I could see him glowing red charging towards me from the distance... didn't stick around long enough for him to reach me!

stylon

Red620Ti

Sometimes the game throws invasion at you. They are normally ok to beat, and afterwards sometimes becoming "friends" that you can summon for boss fights. So batter them!

Upgrading the bonfire gives you stronger Estus. So you can upgrade the flask by finding Estus shards and giving them to the blacksmith, and the undead bone shards you find can be burned at the Shrine bonfire make your Estus flask +1 all the way up to +10, making the healing effect stronger. Worth doing! As regards the scariness of the game, thats the risk/reward thing in full effect....Last night I lost 115, 000 souls by just overstretching myself a little, and then I died on the way back to where I lost them, so they were gone.

Red620Ti

Is the Prince the last boss then?

I want to make sure I kill everything..Theres a Nameless King, Ancient Wyvern?, Champion something or other (all from looking at the cheevo names) along with the Prince. I messed up some of the NPC quests as well, got Sirris on my side then joined Rosarias Fingers which turned her against me, straight up killed Yoel when he spoke to me...Also got my interactions with Siegward out of whack so he didn't help me in a fight.

So much to do in NG+!

holchasaur

@Red620Ti: Did you fight the Consumed King? He gives you something – a gesture – that allows you to access Archdragon Peak (one of my favorite areas in the game) where you can fight The Nameless King and Ancient Wyvern. There's also an illusory wall near located near the Consumed King that takes you to another optional area.

Also, that area with the three Winged Halbred Knights is fantastic for grinding souls if you need to level up. If you have the Rapport spell, you can sneak through possessing one knight at a time, killing him, and then moving on to the next. That's what I did to gain a few extra levels before the Archives boss battle.

Edited on by holchasaur

Reviewer, Nintendo Life

sorethumbed

If you go to windows central.com and scroll down, you will find a fair approximation of the storyline from Dark Souls 1 and 2. It probably won't help one iota but is quite interesting nonetheless 🐵🙈🙉🙊@stylon: I played both of those games and had no idea that the storyline that I read on the site just now was what I was doing 🐴

Edited on by sorethumbed

Ancient, Angry, Armed and Inbound.

Xbox Gamertag: Sorethumbed

crippyd

@sorethumbed that sounds good, I'll get on that as, tbh, I've no idea what the whole story is!

crippyd

Xbox Gamertag: Crippy D

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.