Forums

Topic: Xbox 360 broken

Posts 1 to 2 of 2

SusCheeto

So my xbox 360 died recently, the green light turns on but then it almost instantly turns off no RROD no nothing it just shuts off, I checked the psu and that ain't the problem cus it worked for a different 360, is there a way to fix this?

SusCheeto

BAMozzy

@SusCheeto This site does not allow for discussion on modifying or repairing hardware. Its against the rules so all we can do is advise you take it to a 'professional' or maybe try searching for answers elsewhere.

Generally hardware has a built in safety system that stops the Hardware from starting up if its not 'safe'. That could be a 'dry' connection - maybe got a bit too hot and melted the Solder around a pin so the contact isn't 'perfect' for example. Maybe the Thermal Paste has dried out and needs replacing - both things can cause the 'safety' shutdown of the Hardware to prevent a more catastrophic failure (causing a fire for example).

In any case, unless you have the expertise and equipment to carry out an investigation and ascertain exactly what has 'failed', you could get lucky and fix the issue, fix it but only temporarily as he problem recurs a few months later or strip it down, put it back together and it still doesn't work.

When my PS3 Phat got YLOD, a similar thing to the RROD, sometimes replacing thermal paste solved the issue, sometimes only worked for a 'few' months and other times made no difference because the 'heat' affected the solder holding the 'pins' of the CPU to the PCB.

I can't say your 360 is or isn't repairable - just that you are better off either going to a Professional or consider replacing it as it might be cheaper to get newer hardware than pay for repairs. In the end, I decided to buy a PS3 Slim rather than Pay to fix my YLOD at the time but today, if my 360 stopped working, I'd either look for a working 'used' 360 OR buy a newer Xbox.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

• Page 1 of 1

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic