The free-to-play Rocket League already has a couple of modes based on North American sports in Snow Day (hockey) and Hoops (basketball), and now it's getting a limited time mode based on the NFL.
Called "Gridiron", it takes place on the transformed Champions Field complete with hashmarks and the NFL logo, and features its very own set of rules as highlighted on the official Rocket League website:
- The standard Rocket League ball has been replaced with an American football in this 4v4 mode.
- Touching the ball attaches it to the roof of your car.
- If any player touches the ball, that player becomes the ball carrier, setting up the opportunity for hand-offs to teammates or steals by the other team.
- The carrier can single jump, but double jumping drops the ball. You can also pass the ball by dodging.
- Each goal is 3 or 7 points: 7 points are awarded if the ball is attached to a player when entering the opponent’s goal, and 3 points are awarded if the ball is passed in or if the ball is loose. All own-goals are worth 3 points whether the ball is attached or it’s loose.
- Demos require Supersonic speed just like in standard modes.
- Stay in bounds! You’ll fumble the ball if you cross the line marked on the Arena wall.
The event is being added in celebration of the real-life NFL Super Bowl that takes place next Sunday, but you'll only be able to play this limited time mode from February 2nd until February 8th in-game.
There will be a few other goodies available during the period as well, including the return of the NFL Fan Pack of cosmetics, as well as three special Event Challenges with NFL specific rewards and 20,000 XP.
Looking forward to trying this out? Let us know your thoughts down in the comments.