Microsoft is today celebrating a record year for its first-party studios, with ten brand-new titles launched in 2020 and many of them earning "strong critical acclaim," as well as "impressive engagement from our fans."
Specifically, here are some of the stats Xbox exec Aaron Greenberg has highlighted:
- 15 Xbox Game Studios games launched to-date* (10 of which are brand new titles) and many more to come, a record for Xbox.
- 1.66 billion hours played by our fans and counting, the most ever year-to-date for Xbox Game Studios titles.
- Microsoft Flight Simulator, our longest running franchise, returned with an overall Metacritic score of 92, a top-rated PC game this year.
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps was the highest-rated Xbox game we launched this year with an average Metacritic score of 90.
- Grounded, a new release from Obsidian, quickly exceeded more than 1 million players, while Sea of Thieves has now surpassed 15 million players to date.
- Wasteland 3 not only was a fan-favorite and previously won the award for best RPG at gamescom, it also had an average Metacritic score of 86.
- In July at the Xbox Games Showcase we announced 5 new titles from Xbox Game Studios.
The company says it's been a "tremendous year" for Xbox and it's going to get even better with the launch of the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S on November 10th, featuring the "largest launch lineup in the history of gaming."
"Between our growing Xbox Game Studios teams, the massive influx of high-quality content from our new partners at Bethesda, and many more unannounced games in development, the future has never been brighter for Xbox gamers!"
What has been your favourite Xbox first-party release this year? Let us know below.