Forums

Topic: What Xbox One game are you currently playing?

Posts 101 to 120 of 253

CRANIAL

I am trying to break my Fortnite addiction with feather and Avery broken memories.
Also picked up 3 old retro game packs and been playing those lots.

CRANIAL

ralphdibny

@LtSarge I finished off gears 5 today! It was pretty good but I think the ending was a cut above the rest of it. Who did you choose to kill? I chose JD, I almost went on a flight of fancy to save the love interest, but frankly Del had been with me the whole game so I flip flopped between them a bit but saved Del in the end. I think it was a good choice because JD was a bit of a tragic character anyway and had at least 2 arcs of downfall and redemption. Also it resulted in me just dreading having to tell Marcus and it was quite emotional when it happened. I checked out the alternate cut scenes for saving JD on YouTube after and there isn't much difference between the two, just the obvious really!

I hated fahz so much, but I've said before that even the worse people in the world can still be the ones you want to have your back in war and Fahz fit that trope nicely in the end. Obviously it was funny when he encountered Marcus who just shuts down his loud mouth self!

I feel like the open world bits dragged a little, just because I spent so much time searching for components and other items. Seeing Vasgar was just so cool though, really nice setting for that particular act.

Overall I'm not sure if I prefer 5 or 4. 4 dragged loads in the opening but picked up about half way through and 5 definitely had an awesome ending so maybe I'll go with 5. I think Judgement, 4 and 5 make quite a nice trilogy with the recurring characters of Paduk, Baird and Cole though. Also Baird has quickly become my favourite character, especially his bald goateed look in 4/5, he looks really cool. Also JD looked like Stephen Amell as Green Arrow once he'd shaved his head and grew a beard. But yeah, my favourite characters have been Baird, Kait, Paduk and Old Marcus (much funnier than young Marcus) as well as JD considering what I said earlier.

But the reason I'm posting in this thread is because I've now started Gears Tactics, I'm only 4 missions in but I am enjoying it so far. The main character does sound like a character in South Park when he talks though, it's humourously off putting.

I think the only real criticisms I have of it are that the movement cursor covers the AP cost so you can't always tell how many action points a movement will cost even though you are clearly supposed to be able to, I'm playing it on Xbox with keyboard and mouse and I'd like to be able to adjust mouse sensitivity, also the HUD gets in the way when you sweep your mouse out to indicate a fire pattern and I've ended up hitting end turn by accident - though I think this could be avoided by adjusting mouse sensitivity. The only other real quality of life improvement I'd give it, is to be able to compare your squad mates (you can only have ten - not sure if this changes later on) to your new recruits at a glance like you can in a game like MGS portable ops and Peace Walker so it's easier to decide who to dismiss and who to recruit. I think that's all minor QoL stuff though, overall the game seems to be quite fun so far but I do wonder how much they'll ratchet up the difficulty of it in later missions!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

LtSarge

@ralphdibny Nice, congrats mate! I chose to kill Del. Granted he was with Kait for the majority of the game, but I just couldn't kill JD since he messed up in the beginning of the game and having him die didn't feel right in terms of character development. He still needed to redeem himself and so I wanted him to live. Not to mention that I just couldn't let Marcus lose another person close to him like with Dom in Gears 3.

Yeah Fahz's character was designed to be hated, haha. But that's why I liked him because those kinds of characters tend to have amazing character developments and I was right. The group also needed a comic relief so his place in the team felt appropriate.

Personally, Gears 5 is one of the best games in series simply because of a refreshing story direction, open world sections and collecting components as well as upgrading Jack and using his abilities. The last part made the gameplay so refreshing compared to the standard cover and shoot mechanics that's been the meat of the gameplay since the first entry. The series was in desperate need of some changes and I'm glad they added these ones.

How's the pacing of Gears Tactics compared to a typical strategy game (I'm guessing it's like XCOM?) and a Gears title? I was playing Wasteland 3 a couple of months ago and while the game was really good, the pacing kinda ruined the game for me since you spend so much time in the menus upgrading characters and collecting loot while also talking to people in towns. I just want to have constant battles with some cutscenes in between.

LtSarge

JGRockford

Just finished Dark Souls: Remastered on the X. Have played original release so much over the years, it was a nice change.

Just started on Assassin's Creed: Origins. While I did have on PS4 slim, and only played very little, is really looking nice in comparison.

Racked up a catalogue of games over the past couple of months, and know I'll have plenty to more through.

JGRockford

ralphdibny

@LtSarge I wonder how they'll deal with it in gears 6, maybe they will record two sets of dialogue and ask you who you killed at the beginning or import your save. Maybe the hive will infect and reanimate the corpse of the dead character to taunt you as well so you'll see both characters on each play through but their roles will be reversed depending on who you save!

I spent a lot of time looking for Jack parts. There were some bits of the game where I literally just killed everybody while invisible using the silent kills. Took a while to recharge while waiting in cover but i definitely prefer playing games in the less stressful way. That being said, it just gave me a break before the more mental action bits in act 4!

I'm not sure where gears tactics falls in terms of genre. I didn't know turn based strategy was necessarily a thing that was separate to or an umbrella term that incorporates tactical RPG as well as other sub genres. I kind of thought all games like this were tactical RPGs but wiki describes this as turn based strategy. To be fair the only similar games I've played have been Project X Zone on 3DS, the demo for Valkyria Chronicles 4 and a bit of fire emblem. I'd say this falls roughly in the middle of those but because of its setting, it's reminded me a bit of command and conquer but turn based instead of real time.

Generally this is a lot less stressful than a real time strategy game because you have your whole turn to think about it. You still have to be clever about it though and I did restart from check point on the second mission when I fluffed it up because I was still getting used to how it plays.

I haven't played xcom or wastelands before. This is more or less battles and cutscenes but there is a fair amount of Inventory/staff management in between. Normally I just recruit the gears available, strip them of their outfits and weapon mods and dismiss the lower level ones. Yeah I dunno, it is basically what you said but it does still have the menu stuff in between missions and cut scenes!

I really just can't take the Gabe Diaz character seriously now though! He literally sounds like a cross between the ginger cop guy in South Park and Archer from....Archer lol

See ya!

urrutiap

Not playing at the moment or anything but last month though i just started the beginning of new Star Wars Battlefront II

but too busy with nintendo switch and Playstation 3 games currently recently anyway

urrutiap

LtSarge

Been playing more on my Xbox One lately thanks to some games that I bought during Black Friday. The first one has been Mafia: Definitive Edition which I played a good chunk of on OG Xbox earlier this year but decided to stop playing once I heard that they would release a remake of the game. The remake is so much better! The game controls so well now and being able to turn off annoying stuff like having to wait at a stoplight and not driving too fast is such a blessing. This is how I want to experience this game and I'm loving it.

Coincidentally, I became interested in another game that takes place around the same time period as Mafia, which is L.A. Noire. First of all, I have to say that despite being almost 9 years late to the party with this game, I'm very glad that I waited because this really is a completely different experience compared to other Rockstar games like GTA and Red Dead. Had I played this game back then, I probably wouldn't have liked it because it's nothing like GTA. However, I bought it now purely for the detective experience and so now feels like a great time to play it. And I'm absolutely loving it so far! It has the feel of a Rockstar game with a detailed open world, a captivating story and some compelling side missions. But the missions are obviously completely different. You're supposed to gather clues at crime scenes, question people by connecting these clues and figure out who the culprit is. It's heavily reminiscent of the Ace Attorney series for me, especially when you have to present evidence when accusing people. This is probably one of the most refreshing video game experiences I've had all year, along with Jedi Fallen Order. Not to mention that L.A. Noire is slowly becoming one of my favourite Rockstar games ever. There are just not many games out there like this one and it's crazy that it came out almost a decade ago and still feels like such a different and refreshing experience.

It's sad though that Rockstar doesn't make more games like this one anymore.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

ralphdibny

@LtSarge how is mafia? I ordered the trilogy recently. I read the first game was buggy, has it been ok in your experience? I wonder if the issues got patched out

Don't quote me on this but I think la noire was made by an Aussie Dev called team Bondi which dissolved after finishing la noire. I remember there being some friction between Bondi and rockstar reported. Which despite the amount of ports la noire has received, is probably why there hasn't been a second one. Are you playing it on Xbox? I have the Switch and PS3 versions but haven't played either yet🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

LtSarge

@ralphdibny If I recall correctly, it wasn't the first game that was buggy but the re-release of the second one when the developer released it stand-alone earlier this year. So far the first game has been mostly fine and runs great on my base Xbox One. I've only encountered one glitch where a character didn't show up in a cut-scene but it was only for a brief moment. It didn't ruin the experience or anything like that. So I'd say the first game holds up well post launch.

Yeah it's too bad that the developer dissolved since they had something unique going on here with this game. I'm playing it on Xbox One but I also have the game on PS3. I didn't play it there because some people on Push Square told me earlier this year that the PS3/360 versions of L.A. Noire could cause overheating issues with your system and since my PS3 has already suffered damage from overheating I decided not to risk it by playing it there. Highly recommend you do the same and play the Switch version instead just to be safe.

LtSarge

ralphdibny

@LtSarge nice one! I'm quite looking forward to mafia, I played the original on PC but I got stuck on some racing track level (with keyboard controls -_-) and never finished it!

Cool, I'll play it on Switch then if I ever get around to it! I did hear the Switch version suffers from slowdown, better that than bricking my PS3 I suppose!

See ya!

Krzzystuff

I'm enjoying Battlefront II at the moment. Beat the campaign and playing some multiplayer. I get Battlefront 1 now but it has no camping at all. Multiplayer is still ok but not sure how long I'll stick with both of them, Battlefront II is better with the difference era's and feels more like a starwars game.

Krzzystuff

Xbox Gamertag: Krzzystuff

urrutiap

i should get back into playing Star Wars Battlefront II but still busy with Xenoblade 1, Assassins Creed Brotherhood and other games.

How is flying in the x wings in the newer Battlefront II? Easy to move around in space and shoot at things?

Im more used to the Rogue Squadron games for Gamecube though

urrutiap

Krzzystuff

@urrutiap well I'm not the best pilot in these games but it felt the same between the two titles. Due to my lack of pilot skills im doubtful I'd enjoy Squadrons....i love the idea of it but...the skills aren't there.

I started The Walking Dead New Frontier last night and it's a fantastic game if anyone hasn't played it. It's an episodic title and not heavy on gameplay bit the story is absolutely amazing. Interactive movie. Also has an option where you can get others to join the game and you have a group vote of which action to take if that's your jam.

Krzzystuff

MAC26

I wanted to get some time with RE7 last night but South Park stick of truth took all my gaming time up. That game is hilarious and quite entertaining.

MAC26

Xbox Gamertag: YungLaFlame

Krzzystuff

@MAC26 you make it to the bedroom yet? I just about pissed myself at that point. I played walking dead vs RE7...so a zombie game but just not the super creapy one

Edited on by Krzzystuff

Krzzystuff

MAC26

@Krzzystuff nah man, not yet. I remember you mentioned it before so I'm waiting on it but its already made me laugh a good amount of times. I still need to finish Walking Dead season 1. I didn't think I'd like it but it's pretty good. I was stuck on one part on episode 4 so I need to get back and figure it out. I feel you on the pilot games too, I tried Squadrons and it seems really fun and cool but I'm not the best pilot.

MAC26

LtSarge

Decided to resume my playthrough of Fallout 3 today after having taken a break from it for almost five years now. I started playing it back in the beginning of 2016 and I basically got through the majority of the main game, which took about 50 hours, and then I stopped playing right before the final mission since I still had the DLCs left to play. So technically I haven't even finished the main game yet, lol. It's too bad that I became uninterested in the DLCs back then but I guess it makes sense since I had been playing the game for 50 hours and just wanted to move on to something else.

Anyway, I started up the first DLC today, which I think is called Operation Anchorage, and yeah I really don't remember anything about this game, lol. Having played it for about an hour though has made me remember most things, including why this game is just so addicting to play. I'm already looking forward to playing the rest of the DLCs, especially since each one is not too long (only 2-3 hours), which is a pretty good length. Hopefully I can finish off all the DLCs and finally take on the final mission so that I can put this game behind me for good this time.

LtSarge

sib

@Krzzystuff @MAC26
Never played a Walking Dead game - now intrigued, though.
And, long been interested in picking up South Park as well..!

Started Jedi: Fallen Order a couple of days ago, and really enjoying it.
Not a Star Wars fan at all but the game is fantastic.
If I manage to complete this, I'm thinking I'd like to have a crack at Sekiro.

Edited on by sib

sib

MAC26

@sib do it! SP stick of truth is hilarious so far. Yea walking dead definitely caught me off guard by how much I liked it. I only decided to try it because I had played wolf among us which is made by the same developers and that was good. So I picked up walking dead and it's been a great story so I'm definitely going to be continuing with the rest of the seasons.

MAC26

Krzzystuff

I just saw that there are two walking dead games. I'm playing new frontier but after that I'll start playing the other one as I'm really enjoying it.

Krzzystuff

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic