Forums

Topic: General Xbox Series X Thread

Posts 801 to 814 of 814

Reverandjames

Another disappointing night of trying to play games on my Series X. State of Decay 2 kept crashing and eventually wiped my save file and multiple games just wouldn't start up at all. This is NOT next gen.

Reverandjames

JGRockford

@Reverandjames
That's a completely different experience from what I'm having with the console.

I haven't experienced crashes, despite being on the same hardware and spending long hours since release day (without pre-order).

This is likely a dud console, or issues stemming from the user...

Edited on by JGRockford

JGRockford

Reverandjames

@Krzzystuff They can only offer a refund. I'll probably take it to be honest and either wait and get one when the price drops or get a PS5.

@JGRockford I do find it amsusing when people's blind brand loyalty leads them to believe that there couldn't possibly a problem with hardware and it must be something that the player is doing wrong. Multiple people are having issues with Quick resume among other things.

Reverandjames

JGRockford

@Reverandjames
How wonderful to hear that you're amused from your own ignorance....

You are assuming this may be a case of brand loyalty when this is actually my first console from Microsoft, after many years on PC, and a handful of generations of PlayStation.

While I have not experienced crashes, or issues with my saves, quick resume can indeed be touch and go.

What you are experiencing where; "State of Decay 2 kept crashing and eventually wiped my save file and multiple games just wouldn't start up at all", shows that there is an issue with your system, either by fault of manufacturing, or your own...

JGRockford

Reverandjames

@JGRockford Whatever. Just so you know for furniture reference, saying "mine doesn't do that" or "it must be something you're doing" is not really very helpful.

Reverandjames

JGRockford

@Reverandjames
"Whatever"...

That's an effect from blanket assumptions...

Likewise blaming your misfortune of crashes, and loss of saves on the console being "not next gen", when the situation is obviously not regular operation.

Again, quicksave is a little touch and go, though it can be improved upon in time. The intention is there, and works quite regularly.

When it doesn't, it's noticeable.

Blaming a malfunction on the console design, is also no help to anyone.

🙄

JGRockford

BAMozzy

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

MaccaMUFC

@Reverandjames @JGRockford What exactly is the issue with Quick Resume? I’ve found it takes about 10 seconds when switching between games, is that too long? It’s certainly not as instantaneous as it was made out to be when it was first revealed.

Have you ever had an issue where the screen goes green? It only ever happens when I turn the tv off while the Xbox is still on but when I switch the tv back on I sometimes just see a green screen and can still make out the menu/game. It’s easily solved by switching the HDMI source back and forth.

@BAMozzy Fallen Order was already a great looking game when I played it on the One X, now that it’s optimised for the Series X I might just have to download it from GamePass now that it’s looking even better while running buttery smooth.

Do you usually go for quality or performance mode? I’m about to start AC Valhalla and I usually go for quality mode but I really can’t see any details missing on performance mode compared to quality mode.

Edited on by MaccaMUFC

MaccaMUFC

JGRockford

@MaccaMUFC
TBH, I'm very with Quick Resume, and quite happy with the Series X.

Much more often than not, it works, and is significantly more convenient than swapping, or even starting most games from the previous generations. It's a new console and with time, it will get a chance to iron out the remaining problems. Though to clarify, Quick Resume will obviously be expected have issues with games that incorporate online functionality, such as the Dark Souls series.

I was more stating the fact that the other poster was (for some idiotic reason) blaming the console "not being next gen" on their issue with crashing, the loss of save games, and being unable to start multiple games. Of which, seems more likely their problem stems from a malfunction on the console itself, and not from design. As they've mentioned from another thread, had stated "Quick resume has pretty much never worked for me", I could also imagine the issues manufactured from buyers remorse.

On Fallen Order, I had played some hours on the standard PS4 when it had first released, and on re-installing yesterday on the Series X, found the improvements to be staggering (compared to the much lower specced machine). I hadn't tried the performance mode, as the quality mode is just gorgeous, and full of detail, alongside the post processing.

Valhalla: I've just gone for the quality mode here too, but can definitely understand if one was to prefer the 60fps instead. Try both settings, and see what you enjoy.

Edited on by JGRockford

JGRockford

Tasuki

Just a quick question. Did any of you guys buy the memory expansion cards (or whatever they're called). Right now I only have Cold War Series X version installed on my Series X but I want to get AC Valhalla but I am afraid of filling up my hard drive before I get one of those cards.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

JGRockford

I picked one up a few weeks ago (while getting a 4k TV and sound bar).

Considering the size and the speed of the drive, I figured the freedom of storage was worth it, if you're ok spending the amount.

It's been running great, and the extra volume for games is very much noticeable. There was no stress after deciding to install the free access for CoD on working out how to free up 146 gig.

Edited on by JGRockford

JGRockford

BAMozzy

@MaccaMUFC Its on a game by game basis for me - depends on whether the game benefits from a higher graphical quality or higher frame rate more and, in the case of frame rates, which is the the most consistent. I would rather play at 30fps than a frame rate that drops every time you get into some combat and some games are perfectly OK at 30fps so I am not going to pick performance just because its a higher average frame rate.

That being said, I played Valhalla on Performance mode throughout but that was because it launched with Performance mode only and added the Graphic mode later. I didn't bother swapping to see which I preferred.

In general, I tend to try both and go with the mode I prefer most and therefore I have to say its on a game by game basis rather than 'always' going with one or the other.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic