Forums

Topic: General Xbox Series X|S Thread

Posts 561 to 580 of 1,434

BAMozzy

@Senua You are not the only one!! I have a huge backlog of PS4 games too though so BC on both systems interests me and looking forward to playing some of those games on next gen hardware. I am just glad that both will offer an enhanced experience - even ifs not fully enhanced for next gen hardware. The fact that 60fps modes are '60fps' most, if not all the time is a good reason to revisit games in my backlog and can enjoy these whilst waiting for new games and their prices to drop to a point I am willing to jump in - no way am I paying £60+ for a game!!!

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

carlos82

@HisD1sc1ple I think its more about how those drives are designed and there seems to be something about having to be designed for that SSD to take advantage of its full speed. Miles Morales for example loads your save file in less than 1.5 seconds. The Xbox drive appears to be faster in its natural state without the Velocity Architecture than the PS5 when not optimised for its I/O operations. But yeah without optimisation its no magic bullet

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

Senua

Series X also runs 1X titles without “any” optimisations, without “any” patches. Really don’t know from where these wild ideas are coming. Once Series X BC games however do get optimised they would easily run at locked 60fps with better res, 16x anisotropic filtering, auto HDR.

Edited on by Senua

Senua

carlos82

@Senua I forgot all about that, the One X performance mode had both an unlocked framerate and unlocked resolution. This will be amazing to play on Series X and hopefully Digital Foundry have a look at it soon

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

BAMozzy

@graysoncharles Series S or X is running the SAME code as the XB1S or X versions with NO patches, no developer involvement at all and just using the basic hardware to 'Boost' games and load them faster. There are a 'few' games, like on PS5, where a developer has created Series S/X versions - like Gears 5 , Forza Horizon 4, Maneater etc but the vast majority of the back compat library are running the SAME code as XB1 - just like the PS5 is. Games like RDR2, Arkham Knight, MH World, FFxv and Destiny 2 were ALL running current gen versions with NO developer changes to the code to make them Load faster etc.

MS do have some hardware built in that can add HDR, 16x Anisotropic Filtering, increase the resolution and even run at 2x the frame rate with NO developer interaction to change the code - its built in at a hardware level. Sony too could no doubt do the same but they didn't and like MS though, are using the power to alleviate bottlenecks so games will run at (or much closer to) their capped limits.Its still relying on just 'raw' speed to load though.

Maybe its the fact that Sony's PS5 has a slower CPU and, as the games have been coded to decompress assets with the CPU, it takes longer for the PS5 to decompress than the CPU in the Series X. Lets not forget also that these games are coded for Single Thread CPU's so the Series X CPU will be running at 3.8Ghz - not the 3.6Ghz in Multi-Threaded mode. Also by running in Single Core mode, its single thread performance is better than the equivalent speed if using a Multi-thread mode with Single Core code. I would bet the difference comes down to CPU decompression with old games more than anything else...

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

carlos82

There's this video as well and it looks incredible, even loading between different regions is only 10 seconds and virtually nothing in the same area. 60fps looks very stable and the resolution always looks very high, significantly more so than the One X held in this mode

Edited on by carlos82

Senua

Looks beautiful honestly 😍

Senua

MarkD01

@MaccaMUFC I did indeed - received the shipping confirmation on Saturday, so hopefully you've also received yours by now?

MarkD01

Xbox Gamertag: MrkDhn01

NEStalgia

@FraserG @AJDarkstar Walmart starting to send out pre shipping informational emails to preorder customers and "if you get your console before Tuesday there will be extra updates required on Tuesday" language. IT'S HAPPENING!!!

Nothing from target yet, so fingers crossed. Nothing from best buy yet (ordered the SSD) but I've heard that Walmart likes to go early on this preorder stuff from time to time.....

NEStalgia

XBOT

Did anyone get a update about orders from Amazon Canada?

Looks like I'm not getting mine on launch day.

XBOT

redd214

One more long day left for you guys, can't wait to hear everyone's impressions!! Going to be a terrific week!

redd214

JGRockford

For those without pre order in Australia, Big W has online stock.

👍👍

JGRockford

Krzzystuff

Anyone else have their FedEx tracking stuck in Memphis? Mine's been there since 3am Sunday...come on!!!

Krzzystuff

Xbox Gamertag: Krzzystuff

NEStalgia

@AJDarkstar I have tracking numbers from Target and Best Buy on one SX and one SSD now. The SSD says it will arrive tomorrow.....the SX looks like it will arrive....Wednesday....... argh!

Just one extra day (It's possible the carrier bumps it up a day, that happens. But it looks like Target went for normal ground shipping - however long it takes. So....so far I get my SX Wednesday. It's possible it gets bumped up to tomorrow, also possible it gets bumped back to Thursday.

No shipment confirmation from Walmart yet. Since they sent that email out yesterday I'm less worried there. But not sure the arrival date yet from them.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@AJDarkstar Yeah, all my stuff gets stuck on "shipper created label." Usually there's no actual pickup of the item over the weekend, so that really means it's at the loading dock ready to go out today. If it ships from nearby it should be overnight, no problem.

Best Buy ships from a nearby state so things should easily be overnight (the SSD) - Target is shipping from Indiana to the East coast, so honestly 2 day sounds optimistic....but that's what it says so far. I've seen FedEx update things in the middle of the night before, but given that distance, I'd expect Wednesday is the earliest unless they expedite it to air - looks like standard ground.

We'll see when Walmart ships and where they ship from. No tracking number/shipment confirmation from them yet. I have one coming from each (two people), so if they manage to get it here tomorrow, I can still take a look at a Series X on launch!

(At least I know I probably will get PS5 on launch day if all goes well there since BB is the one landing right on time for the XSX SSD.)

NEStalgia

Justifier

It seems that I have mine on Wednesday. Not too bad.

"Wake me... when you need me."

Xbox Gamertag: Justifier1651

BAMozzy

Well my bundle has shipped so hopefully the courier will deliver all tomorrow....

Getting the Series X, AC:Valhalla, spare Carbon Black controller and Plug and Charge kit too...

I can wait for more PS5 stock - if that means waiting until the new year, so be it. I hope to have one though by the time Horizon 2 releases and until then, I have my Series X for gaming. Still thinking of adding Game Pass Ultimate too as there are a few games I may try, but I also have quite an extensive Backlog to get through - and some will definitely benefit from the extra 'power' under the hood...

NEStalgia

@AJDarkstar Actually I just realized Walmart's pre-ship info email yesterday said they're trying to make sure to get it there by the date on your original preorder confirmation email. I hadn't paid too much attention to that so I just looked it up. Thursday Nov 12.......Argh! And that was an order placed in the first 8 minutes of sales opening! (Target was first in the first minute or two, Walmart right after that.

So it looks like one box arrives Wednesday, the other, they COULD ship sooner, but they set their goal date as Thursday way back in Sept which I missed. Looks like Best Buy does launch days, so it seems like I'll get an X and my PS5 on the same day most likely........ Now that's a high anxiety shipment.....

I'll have to advance my countdown calendar another day or two....

I hear you about getting MM a week before the PS5! I'm going all digital this gen (short of Nintendo) (or unless Sony stiffs us and "game sharing" doesn't work anymore...something I don't fear with XB, but do fear with PS.) It looks like I'll be holding a shiny new XBSX NVMe drive tomorrow and no console to use it with for another day (or two.) That's not even a week and I'm in desperate need of a fidget spinner.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic