Forums

Topic: Official PlayStation Thread

Posts 221 to 240 of 244

Lavalera

@RR529 congrats on the ps5. Personally I'm not a platformer fan so I skipped Astros. Miles Morales is a cool game though, I liked it better than the original Spiderman, it is a bit on the short side though, think I got the platinum in like 12 hours.

PSNid: Lavalera

RR529

@BAMozzy, @Lavalera, yeah, the gyro & touchpad controlled levels in Astro's Playroom could be a bit hit & miss. The monkey & frog sections felt the most gimmicky (though not to the point where I wasn't having fun), though I thought the rocket & (especially) ball sections were really fun. Anyhow I've practically done everything there is to do in the game at this point (even completed all speed run levels in under a minute), though there is exactly one puzzle piece that I'm missing (it's in the second monkey level) that's driving me insane. I can't for the life of me figure out where it is & I've ran through the level close to 10 times now (none of the other collectables were particularly hard to find, it's mostly a kid's game after all, so I have a feeling I'm going to feel really stupid whenever I do find it).

Started up Miles Morales the other day & it's good fun too. Kinda more of the same (compared to the first Spider-Man), but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The city is fully open to explore from pretty much the get go (no activating towers to unlock activities), though I'm surprised at how short it looks like it may end up being (the completion tracker is already at 25%, and I've only played for 3, roughly hour long, sessions).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Armando123

Personally i would like to buy PS4 but not PS5, at least until they will create more games to it. But if truly frankly i prefer to play N64 Games as only they can bring back my enjoyment from videogames and i can say that even now theese games are still pretty entertaining to play for me. I still believe that games of the past are the way better than modern ones, my opinion only of course

Edited on by Armando123

Armando123

RR529

Been awhile since my last post in here.

I've since finished up Miles (super fun & I actually enjoyed the shorter length. I actually managed to get my file to %100 completion, something I never do, and not once did the experience feel like it overstayed it's welcome or bloated).

I've also completed Star Ocean: the Divine Force (a bit rough around the edges but a really fun JRPG IMO. I'll definitely miss running around as Elana & Marianne for... reasons, lol), and recently finished up Sackboy: A Big Adventure too (not as mechanically slick as a Mario or Astro Bot game, but pretty solid all the same. I also don't know why western devs just can't quite land the "cuteness" vibe like Japanese devs can, although this is better than most in that regard).

Just recently started up GoW: Ragnarok. There's probably a bunch of little QOL improvements under the hood (& the prettier graphics), but otherwise it feels like I'm directly continuing my adventure in the 2018 game. That's not a bad thing though as it was one of the best games in recent years & it feels good to get back into it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Lavalera

@RR529 I finished Star Ocean as well last week but on Xbox. As you say it's very rough around the edges. Graphically it isn't anything special and i often had combat resets and some buggy parts here and there. But outside of the technical performance the story was interesting enough and the combat felt a lot like Tales of Arise kind of combat.

RR529

@Lavalera, luckily I can't say I had any bugs (the closest I can think of is when a character would get "stuck" in the scenery trying to land, but the game was smart enough to know what was happening and would let them "land" so I could jump again out of that spot).

However there were notable frame rate issues (luckily they were, oddly, mostly relegated to the occasional cutscene so they didn't affect gameplay, but I also noticed the occasional drop against that big optional mud monster outside the first village, and when you were near the fire in the rest room halfway through the snowy mountain dungeon).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

SingleStooge

Going through Ghost Of Tsushima Director's Cut. Really like it and one of the most visually appealing games released. One thing is the title is a misnomer. Around 50 hours in and yet to see a single ghost.

SingleStooge

RR529

Yay! After about a month, my PS4 finally managed to download all 4.4 gigs of GoW III Remastered, lol.

Anyhow, in terms of PS5 since my last post I've managed to finish Ragnarok & have been playing One Piece Odyssey.

Ragnarok was pretty solid. I'm sure there were some QoL improvements under the hood compared to the 2018 game, but overall it was pretty much more of the same. That's not a bad thing mind you, but if you've played the last one you've pretty much got the gist of what to expect gameplay wise here. I do think the main story overall was a bit weaker & less focused here, but on the plus side it had a more varied selection of mid-bosses & unique bespoke boss fights as well.

One Piece Odyssey is a pretty solid Dragon Quest style turn based RPG. Probably not a must play unless you're really into the genre or the anime, but a fun enough time. Interesting to see how it fares going forward though, as I've only recently cleared chapter 2, and apparently the other chapters are much shorter, to the point that it feels like the game had corners cut to rush completion (not my words, just what I've heard).

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Lavalera

@RR529 I never watched a One Piece episode and just couldn't get into the game. I got the game since it looked like DQ11 and i heard that even if you never watched the anime you could still enjoy it. But the conversations are constantly like: "do you remember when" "we were here before when". The gameplay also feels pretty generic and nothing special. So it doesn't really give a good first impression. I put it down and will try it again later this year. Maybe it just wasn't the time for the game I dunno. I still hope it will click more the 2nd time I play it.

RR529

@Lavalera, yeah, battles are really weird in chapter 1. You're pretty much able to one shot everything (including bosses) & you level up super rapidly (I think everyone in my party was mid 20's by the end of the chapter), but things start to be balanced out better by chapter 2. Not to the point where I'd say it's difficult or anything, but not braindead easy either.

@Tasuki, Nah, it's just a problem my PS4 has been having for the past year & a half or so. It'll connect to the internet for a second or two when first turned on/woken up, but then disconnect & won't reconnect.

I'm all digital on PS5 & PC and can't think of anything that's taken more than an hour to download in recent memory (outside of Flight Sim).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

XandertheWise

Recently I got back into playing games for my Playstation 3 and just started using vanilla gift cards and a PSN card to catch up on some DLC stuff I missed out for games like Injustice and Star Wars Force Unleashed I.

That and Im surprised the online store is shut down in game for WWE 2K216. I kind of was hoping the Arnold Schwarzenneger DLC stuff would still be aroundf but guess not

XandertheWise

SingleStooge

I pre-ordered this https://www.ebgames.com.au/product/ps5/275175-final-fantasy-v... because its Final Fantastic the Seventh.

As for GoW Ragnarok, I've recently completed the main story (PS5 version). Overall, I did not had a good experience, as I experienced many gameplay bugs / glitches in the middle section of the game which I had to reload previous save files 4 times to continue. The bugs even persisted in cutscenes. Never ever experinced this with any other PS title and certainly not in GoW 2018. I did like the finale part. Overall, I give it a 6 / 10

SingleStooge

VoidPunk

I’ve been looking to expand my collection of retro gaming consoles. And was thinking spit getting a PS2 or PS3. I know both play PS1 games, but since it doesn’t seem like fat PS3s are very common which one would be better to pick up and about what should I expect to pay for one or the other?

I’m like a pizza cutter, all edge and no point!

BAMozzy

@VoidPunk I'm not sure if the PS3's, other than the Phat OG ones, will play PS2 and PS1 games (certainly not all). The OG had the PS2 chipset built in for BC with PS2/PS1 games - part of the reason it was so expensive and dropped (with some reduction in ports too) for the Slim to 'compete' on price with Xbox 360 - at least that's what I recall.

I had an OG PS3 until that died with YLOD and replaced it with a PS3 Slim but by that time, I had amassed a decent PS3 library and with new PS3 games coming, I wasn't interested in PS2 (or Older) games so I could be mistaken in what BC that had, but it was certainly not the same as the OG.

If you can find a working one, I would think the OG PS3 would be the best option as it was built with BC in it. But nowadays, I don't know if you'll find decent working examples. None of my Wireless DS3's now 'work' wirelessly as none charge/hold a charge anymore. However, they do 'work' with the charging cable connected - or did about 10yrs ago the last time I revisited my PS3.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

Tasuki

@VoidPunk @BAMozzy All PS3's play PS One discs. It doesn't matter if it's the OG Fat, Fat, Slim or super slim. OG fat is the only one that plays PS2.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

LtSarge

@Tasuki It's worth pointing out though that not all PS1 games work on PS3. I think it's based on the serial number or something like that. For example, my physical copy of FF7 works on my PS3 Slim but not my copy of FF8. I'd honestly get a PS1 or a PS2 (if it doesn't have the same problem) just to avoid any potential issues.

LtSarge

BAMozzy

@Tasuki @LtSarge As I said, I wasn't sure on the exact details of what games would work on PS3's after they changed their build specs over time. I know the OG had built-in BC enabling it to play PS1/2 era games but after that, I don't know if it was the entire PS1 library or a percentage of them that could be played - same really with the PS2 library although I was less confident of ANY PS2 game working on a PS3 Slim/Super-slim - I just know that they didn't all have the same BC support.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

Tasuki

@LtSarge Didn't know that about certain PS1 games. Admittedly I only have a handful of PS 1 game discs, all 3 Tekkens, Suikoden, Legend of Dragoon, Bushido Blade 1 and 2 and a few others. They all worked fine on my PS3 Slim. I don't own any Final Fantasy games on PS nor do I want to so I honestly can't say anything about those ones.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic