Forums

Topic: Zero/Project Zero/Fatal Frame Official Thread

Posts 141 to 160 of 178

Ralizah

@EvilSilentFrame No, it's not reversed. I just find that shifting the camera manually is sluggish enough to be frustrating. But the camera already follows your character when you're running (or, in this case, walking slightly faster, lol), so I've just taken to not using the right stick except for when using the camera.

On the plus side, the motion controls when aiming the camera make for much smoother aiming. Although given you can lock onto ghosts, I'm not sure how necessary they are. Maybe once the ghosts start darting around more.

So far I've mainly been exploring the same few areas as the three characters I've played to date, so I'm hoping new environments open up soon.

In terms of how it feels, I'd say the closest comparison I'd make it to Fatal Frame 3, since that also had this combination of mostly in-door settings and multiple playable characters.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PC); Unicorn Overlord (NS)

EvilSilentFrame

@Ralizah I had V for the Wii U and I didn’t like the motion controls. Did you have the Wii U version of V? If so how do you think the motion controls for this one compare to the Wii U motion controls? The lock onto ghosts does help at times but then some of them almost teleport or blink into another spot around you so the lock doesn’t work well on those types of ghosts.

The “running “ in the game is kind of comical. I was like “that’s a run?” LOL I know a lot of people don’t like it but I don’t mind it. I think the character being on the slow side only heightens the tension in the game.

It is kind of like part 3 by using different characters and playing mostly in doors. The that’s one I really want to play again. I remember opening up doors and being back in the Himuro Mansion but the order was different. There were a lot of complaints about reusing old rooms but I kind of liked it. But again I wanted one main character to play as. That one also had “safe” areas kind of like V. I want the tension to continue. I don’t want to be back home and be safe. I never felt safe in I or II, that might be another reason why those are my favorites.

EvilSilentFrame

Xbox Gamertag: EvilSilentFrame

EvilSilentFrame

@Kaloudz my preference was with 2 as well, but 4 is really good so far. I’m getting close to the end. I just want to keep playing but I don’t want to rush it. I keep visiting some of the same rooms over and over trying to collect items and as many notes as I can read. The story has sucked me in and I’m hooked. I think since you’re a fan of the older ones, you’ll love this one.

EvilSilentFrame

Banjo-

Project Zero 2 Wii Edition was the first I played. I didn't know anything about it, I just was told it's a horror game and when I played it, I was hooked. I was engrossed, running like in a nightmare, speed designed to not break the atmosphere. Rushing scared, following a dimmed path with few lanterns around the corners, hearing steps, subtleties and distorted sounds... with camera in hand.

Banjo-

EvilSilentFrame

@Kaloudz oh yes, there are definitely some spooky ones in this game. I don’t think it’s as creepy as 2, but it’s creepier than 5. There’s some spooky ones and then there’s some interesting cool designs for others. A few jump scares but mostly relies on your typical atmospheric psychological horror.

EvilSilentFrame

EvilSilentFrame

@Banjo- I never played the Wii version of CB. It looked great. The visuals were a nice update from the original. I wonder if we do get a CB on current platforms, would it be the original version they would pretty up, or would it be the Wii version? Did you ever go back and play the PS2 Xbox version of CB?

EvilSilentFrame

EvilSilentFrame

@Kaloudz it’s kind of rare for a jump scare to get me. I usually remain calm unless it’s something in real life. If I feel something’s wrong, I’m out of there. I don’t make a scene, I just pack my stuff up and I quickly and quietly leave lol. This game has one of the best jump scares in the series. I won’t say anymore than that because I don’t want to spoil anything. But there’s one in particular I thought was done really well plus a few other surprises that play with your mind. Where you question if something just moved or if something was facing a different direction a second ago. They did a nice job with the game so far. Again I’m not done with it but what I’ve played so far I am loving.

EvilSilentFrame

Banjo-

@EvilSilentFrame I'm glad that you are enjoying Mask of the Lunar Eclipse so much. I've never played the original version of Crimson Butterfly. That's a good question, would they remaster the original or the Wii version? I think that they should do the Wii version because it has much more content as stated on page 1. I have almost completed Maiden of Black Water 100%, so I shared what I've been noting down here for anyone else who dares: 😉

https://www.purexbox.com/forums/xbox-series-x/project_zerofat...

Banjo-

EvilSilentFrame

@Kaloudz I understand the struggles of not being able to afford much. I have always been a saver. I hate paying full price for anything. I bought Mask of the Lunar Eclipse deluxe at full price to support the franchise and to hopefully influence them to continue bring more games over, either older titles or brand new ones.

I’ll play RE4, but I’m not excited for it. I’m looking forward to playing it but it was never a favorite. It was more action than horror. I know franchises have to evolve and change, but I thought it would still have zombies in it. Instead a plague took over and the enemies communicated with each other. It lost the RE feeling. I know it’s a fan favorite, just wasn’t up there for me. I like they changed the look and feel of the game in the remake, maybe I’ll be more impressed with it this time around.

EvilSilentFrame

EvilSilentFrame

@Kaloudz I think many were disappointed with RE3 remake due to a lot of content being taken out. I don’t remember the original so I don’t have much of an opinion on it. Maybe I never beat RE3 back in the day. I liked the remake, I just wasn’t looking forward to 4 being remade. At least not yet. Like many here, I was looking forward to others getting the remake treatment before 4. Hopefully that’s still in the pipeline. Capcom filed a ceased and desist order on some fan made remakes of the original and Code Veronica. Last time they did that, it was because they were remaking 2 and 3 themselves.

EvilSilentFrame

EvilSilentFrame

@Kaloudz With Capcom, I wanted them to remake CV, zero, and then the original. Bring those up to date and of course continue to work on new games.

With FF, I want the old games but I really want a new one that fits in better than Maiden of the Black Water. I liked that one but I didn’t feel it was as creepy or as interesting as the other ones. It was like they were short on a story, so you had to go save this character. Then you bring them back and the character you were playing as goes missing and you need to bring them back. It was just a lot of repeating. I mean I get it that the mountain was calling to people to come and commit suicide, but I wanted more out of the game. I wanted an interesting story and that one didn’t have it. I want a new FF game that’s interesting, creepy, and makes me want to know more.

EvilSilentFrame

EvilSilentFrame

@Kaloudz I agree with all of that. Zombie games we’ve had for awhile and they continue to come. There’s different kinds of zombie games as well. There’s horror zombie, action zombie, comical zombie… I’ve played a variety of them and some I liked, some not so much.

As for ghosts, there’s not many games that have them. Horror games have been on the rise, this is time for PZ/FF to make its move. Maiden of the Black Water sold well. I’m hopeful that Mask of the Lunar Eclipse sells well. I don’t know how big the team at Koei Tecmo is, but I’d love to see them remaster 1-3 and release a brand new game in the series. Maybe they’ve sold well enough to keep the series going so it doesn’t go extinct. Being a horror game with ghosts sets it apart. Though I don’t mind the slower paced game play. I don’t even mind their clunky controls. I do think they’ll need to change it up a bit if they want to get more appeal. That’s the biggest complaint the series faces.

EvilSilentFrame

EvilSilentFrame

@Kaloudz I don’t know how much work it would be either to remaster the first three. If they just gave us straight up ports of them I’d be thrilled!!! If we do get those, I don’t think they are going to redo as much as they did with the 4th game. Those games still have fixed camera angles. But if they improved the visuals of course that would be awesome.

As for what the series needs next, to appeal to more players I don’t think it needs much of a shakeup. I think for modern gamers it needs smoother controls and the character needs to move faster. Gamers today don’t have much patience, especially young players. Shorter attention spans due to TicTok.

Edited on by EvilSilentFrame

EvilSilentFrame

Banjo-

EvilSilentFrame wrote:

I hate paying full price for anything. I bought Mask of the Lunar Eclipse deluxe at full price to support the franchise and to hopefully influence them to continue bring more games over, either older titles or brand new ones. I’d love to see them remaster 1-3 and release a brand new game in the series.

Well done and I did the same. It's a series that needs as much support as it can get. The Maiden of Black Water remaster is the best-selling entry this far so I hope that Mask of the Lunar Eclipse continues the success and we get the other three and a new game. This is the time. I would welcome remakes of the first three games like Capcom is doing but even more basic ports or remasters would be enough. I pre-ordered these remasters and I will buy but I did not pre-order Resident Evil 4 (2023) because I'm aware that Capcom's sales are massive, regardless.

EvilSilentFrame wrote:

I looked around and found some that others did.

Great addition to the thread!

Kaloudz wrote:

They definitely need to throw something new at the series to offset that sort of criticism.

Not much should change in these games but after playing Maiden of Black Water again, I think that the controls and animations can be made smoother when you change direction. That's the only thing that looks dated in this remaster. Maiden of Black Water has the speedier characters, probably because the mountain keeps calling the characters for different reasons. The speed of the characters shouldn't be increased much in the other games but controls and animations and even speed to a certain degree could be boosted and ironed out. Koei Tecmo is good at remaking these games. The Wii Edition of 2 is brilliant and has a lot of added content and Maiden of Black Water and Mask of the Lunar Eclipse look and perform really well on Series S/X. It's because the original games have aged well and are very good games even if some reviewers don't understand nor appreciate them. Resident Evil 4 is action and it's great at that but when I read good reviews of hollow horror attempts like Layers of Fear I wonder what's wrong with reviewers and what's wrong with our culture that is not able to appreciate the gameplay, sound, beauty, psychology and subtleties of Project Zero/Fatal Frame.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

EvilSilentFrame

@Banjo- I beat Mask of the Lunar Eclipse. I thought it was very good. I already started another new game, this time on a higher difficulty. I want to go back in and unlock more things. I’m also going to try and complete the ghost lists. I came really close at the list of dolls. I missed two or three.

EvilSilentFrame

Banjo-

@Kaloudz I played 5 and 6 on Xbox One and I liked them. I liked 6 more than 5. 6 has more variety and it's more interesting. 5 is Hordes in Africa but it's good. Revelations and Revelations 2 are fine, I liked 2 more.

The best Resident Evil game is the remake of the first one because it's a rare perfect combination and artistically it's amazing. 7 disappointed me because it's so gory and the story has little to do with the franchise. If that was not enough, the mandatory first-view is upsetting. Fortunately, they restored the third-view in 8 Gold Edition. I just want 9 to be like the old classic games, full of exploration and puzzles. Perhaps it would make sense to make one type each time: 9 like the classics and 10 like 4-5-6 and have two different teams working on each type.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

Banjo-

@Kaloudz They should do that, one type of Resident Evil each time, exploration and puzzles versus action. Go back to the original stories. I love Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine the most but there are many characters I like from Resident Evil. Not very important for most people but I love the voice of Jill in Resident Evil (2002), it's one of my favourite female voices but the new one in Resident Evil 3 is great, too. The first actress is Heidi Anderson and the new one is Nicole Tompkins. I love female voices that sound natural and not strident but deep.

Banjo-

belmont

@Banjo- It is an unpopular opinion, but I agree RE6 is better than RE5. You can say that RE5 concluded stories present from the first game but 6 was more varied. As for Revelations they said they would go back to the horror roots, but the games play more like 4-5-6.

However, I disagree on 7 and 8. They are some of my favourite RE games ever. They nailed the atmosphere and the survival aspects. And I don't want to spoil anything but in both you play for a portion of the game with an established character. Slowly, as you play and gather files you get that the game is set in the RE universe and in the and in 8 the game is very cleverly connected to the first game in the series.

belmont

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic