Forums

Topic: Finding the right TV for Xbox Series X

Posts 181 to 197 of 197

R1spam

@MaccaMUFC shame mate, a bulky rear can have its place šŸ¤£. Happy hunting!

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

BAMozzy

@MaccaMUFC I know you are I have been in the same boat for years with regards to TV's and I just still am not convinced they have the Longevity for way above (as in 3x or more above) the Average UK household and on which 5 to 10yrs life would be expected/achieved with modern day OLEDs.

10000hrs may sound like a lot if you watch less than 1500 a year, but nearly 5000 seems like a big risk to me...

Besides I wall mount too and think EVERY TV should have a breakout box....

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

MaccaMUFC

@BAMozzy Yeah I agree. If your TV were to break today and needed a new one, what would you go for that are currently available right now?

Edit: Iā€™ll make the choice easier. Samsung QN95C - Ā£1,599 or Sony X95L - Ā£1,699? Iā€™m going to have to put some overtime in at work for either one of those TVs. Iā€™m not sure about the TCL C935 now as Iā€™ve heard mixed things about it, Iā€™d rather spend Ā£200-Ā£300 more knowing Iā€™m getting a better quality TV. I know Iā€™ll be without Dolby Vision for gaming with both TVs but the specs along will more than make up for being without it.

Edited on by MaccaMUFC

MaccaMUFC

BAMozzy

@MaccaMUFC I'd probably go for an LG C series in all honesty - unless I found something 'better' in a sale. I would probably stick at 55" too rather than look for an upgrade in size for what I think I would consider a 'replacement' to a broken TV that will likely end up in the Bedroom when the 'right' TV comes out.

Its the fact that the KS8000 (so far) is still OK and hasn't pushed me to make that decision despite every year looking at what the 'next' wave of TV's and thinking they aren't that much better - enough to justify swapping at that price point.

If my KS8000 broke, then that's a different situation - an OLED - even with its risks - is better than 'no' TV and I'll have some Warranty for the next 5yrs on it - just in case. But I'd probably still be looking for my 'next' TV...

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

MaccaMUFC

@BAMozzy You would actually pay over a grand for the LG C3 even though you know degradation will most likely show within a year or two due to the amount of use it will get? I couldnā€™t stomach paying that much for something for that short of a lifespan, especially when the KS8000 is still as good as it was when I first got it nearly 7 years ago and it was cheaper too I think it was about Ā£1,200.

I just saw earlier on that that QN95C is Ā£1,599 on some online stores and the Sony X95L for Ā£100 more. I like the design of the Samsung more but apparently the Sony is the better TV overall.

MaccaMUFC

BAMozzy

@MaccaMUFC You asked what I'd do if my KS8000 'broke' and left me without ANY decent TV to watch or play games on until I found a suitable replacement. Compared to say renting or spending 'less' for a TCL for example, I'd rather pay that bit more, take out some extended Warranty and buy myself maybe a couple more years to find a replacement.

However, with my KS8000 still holding up, I've not been put in that position - therefore I haven't bought an OLED but I would prefer that over TCL for example and the Samsung is pushing the budget up for what I would consider a 'temporary' option for 'now' if my KS8000 decided to pack up.

Whilst my TV is still functioning as I expect - especially with the use it gets - there isn't anything I'd consider in truth. But if it did pack up, I'd see the LG C series as a decent option for the interim - but I'd still be 'looking' for the 'next' TV. I'd settle for a 2022 LG C series if I found one and Cheap enough 'New' but with the expected new C series coming, I'd go for a 2023 rather than buy the latest at a 'premium' price because I don't expect it to 'last'. Its why I haven't bought yet because I'd rather not throw money at something that may only last a few years - unless I felt I had no choice because my TV is no longer functional....

Also if its ~Ā£1k and lasts 2yrs with 5000hrs of use per year, that's Ā£1 for 10hrs or 10p an hour...

Edited on by BAMozzy

MaccaMUFC

After nearly four years from creating this topic, Iā€™ve finally bought a new tv this morning. For awhile Iā€™ve been going back and forth between the Samsung QN95C and LG G2. In the end I decided to go with the 65ā€ QN95C for Ā£1,380 (plus Ā£200 cashback) which is an amazing price since places like Currys, Richer Sounds, John Lewis etc are all still charging at least Ā£2,000.

I ultimately decided against the G2 due to the fact that the tv would be used a lot on a daily basis and therefore I doubted the G2 would last as long as Iā€™d like and that problems would most likely occur within the first few years. Another reason is the tv would be facing opposite the living room window and Iā€™d mostly be gaming during the day since I work nights and I know OLEDs donā€™t fair well in bright rooms, especially when facing a window. I could always just close the blinds and have blackout curtains but that would only of been considered if I went with the G2. Also Iā€™d only be stressed thinking how the wife and kids are treating it while Iā€™m at work because they wouldnā€™t take care of it like I would.

The lack of Dolby Vision on the QN95C doesnā€™t bother me at all since itā€™s well known that DV with gaming isnā€™t always well implemented and Iā€™ve noticed thereā€™s a lack of support as thereā€™s still only 100+ games that support it, the same 100+ when it was first announced that Xbox games would be getting DV, no new releases have DV support at least to my knowledge anyway. Another thing with DV is that it takes over everything, even on content that doesnā€™t have DV so that would be a little irritating having to constantly turn it on and off.

Anyway I just thought Iā€™d share my news since this topic has proven popular in terms of views and comments. Iā€™m just glad to finally have a tv that takes full advantage of current gen consoles with features like VRR, ALLM, HGiG, 4K@120Hz (it even does up to 144Hz if used as a PC monitor) etc all while displaying bright vivid colours that pop and having OLED-like black levels.

Edited on by MaccaMUFC

MaccaMUFC

Nexozi

@MaccaMUFC Congrats on getting the new TV! Been quite the journey. How are u finding it?

Nexozi

MaccaMUFC

@Nexozi Honestly? Iā€™m not that impressed by it. Iā€™ve yet to properly calibrate it myself as Iā€™m wanting to get at least 100 hours in as thatā€™s whatā€™s recommended. Out of the box though it really doesnā€™t seem any different from my old KS8000 despite it being a 2023 flagship mini-led. Itā€™s supposed to be super bright but my KS8000 is just as bright and Iā€™m not seeing those inky blacks it supposedly has. Also my QN95C has really bad blooming, Iā€™ll put the link here for AVforums which has pictures of my TV, I go under the same name as on here. https://www.avforums.com/threads/qn90c-qn95c-difference.24689...

Iā€™m really hoping that when I calibrate it that it improves everything but Iā€™m not holding my breath. Considering the 65ā€ was Ā£3,600 last March I still think I got a good deal for Ā£1,380 plus Iā€™ve just received Ā£200 cashback from Samsung so really I only paid Ā£1,180. I do wish I just went for the LG G2 that I was considering. If Iā€™m still not happy with the QN95C by this time next year I may just get the G3 when itā€™s under Ā£1,500.

Edited on by MaccaMUFC

MaccaMUFC

Banjo-

@MaccaMUFC I honestly didn't want to insist because it took you so long to make a decision, but I've never seen a non-OLED TV look as good as an OLED TV. You are right about potential burn-in issues, but newer LG models deal with that much better than the old models, emitting less heat for the same brightness.

Banjo-

MaccaMUFC

@Banjo- Yeah thatā€™s why I was considering the G2 because it has a heatsink which would further reduce the risk of burn-in, plus I loved the style of the tv that it flushes onto the wall. But in the end I bottled it and went for the QN95C, itā€™s still a decent tv but I was expecting to be in awe of its brightness and itā€™s picture quality, I honestly canā€™t see anything that is an Improvement over my old KS8000. Itā€™s blooming is the worse thing about the tv although I donā€™t really notice it when actually watching content and gaming.

Iā€™m glad Iā€™ve got VRR but it ends there because I donā€™t care for 120fps. I think I will go for the G3 this time next year if it goes for under Ā£1,500 like the G2 currently is.

MaccaMUFC

Nexozi

@MaccaMUFC Aww no, sorry to hear it's not been as good as u expected! I wouldn't worry about the fear of burn in now after owning an OLED. I have about 4000+ hours on my CX. Watched 2 films and the rest has been gaming. Only issue has been 1 dead pixel at the top left of the screen. You have to be looking for it though to notice it.

Nexozi

MaccaMUFC

@Nexozi Iā€™ve currently got just over 300 hours of usage in 5 weeks since I got the tv. Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™s a lot but it was one of my concerns going for OLED thinking it wouldnā€™t last more than a few years before it started having problems due to its pixels having a limited lifespan.

MaccaMUFC

BAMozzy

@Nexozi 4000hrs is probably about ~1 yrs use for me and a lot of families. An average of 12hrs a Day, everyday for a year would give you well over 4000hrs. If you use it just 4hrs a day, 4000hrs would take 3yrs to reach.

If you start having problems with OLEDs say after 8000hrs, that could be within 2yrs to someone who uses their TV for 12hrs+ a day or 6yrs+ with an average of 4hrs a day. The 'lifespan' may not suit a Heavy TV user who hopes to replace their TV after 4-5yrs as they'll have issues after a few years compared to the lighter user.

Not everyone uses their TV for the same amount of hours or the same content so their experience can differ - watching a lot more SkySports News on an OLED for example than another person could result in more issues despite both using their TV for the same amount of hours annually so its not just about the 'hours' of use either...

Nexozi

@BAMozzy I've probably more than 4000 hours on it. I have a Samsung LED TV in my living room. No idea how many hours are on it. I was just saying about my experience with the OLED I have that I use only for gaming. Mostly racing as well, so speedo, track map, times etc always up. In general though there's a lot less issues with burn in on newer OLED TVs than there was previously.

Nexozi

Nexozi

I shouldn't have posted in saying how well the CX was doing. It's to go in for repairs. Clump of dead pixels in the top left and then quite a lot spread out over the top of the screen.

Nexozi

MaccaMUFC

@Nexozi Oh no sorry to hear that. 4000+ hours and then that happens what you described, Iā€™d be furious even if the tv is 4 years old. 4000 hours is nothing for me, thatā€™s probably about my annual tv usage. Hope you get your tv sorted and back soon.

Edited on by MaccaMUFC

MaccaMUFC

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic