Forums

Topic: ID@Xbox news thread.

Posts 1 to 9 of 9

shingi_70

idxbox.jpg?

Q:What is ID@Xbox

ID@Xbox stands for independent Developers at Xbox and is a program announced at Gamescom 2013 that works as a follow up to Xbox Live Arcade and Xbox Live Indie Games

xbox-live-arcade-xbla-logo.jpg
xbox-live-indie-games-1369331178109_450x253.png

Today on Xbox Live Arcade a developer needs a publisher like EA or 505 games to get their games on the service. That can be a good or a bad thing depending on how you view content curation on the service. Xbox Live Arcade had many success stories but as the last generation of consoles focus on digital content grew the lack of self publishing as well as problems with patching and certification hurt the system in the end. However Microsoft also had a another service call Xbox Live Indie Games which was a service where developers working with the XNA framework could self publish their games without any gates. Sadly enough it gave us the problem that Modern mobile stores have where you have to shift through a ton of crap to get to the gems of games. Think of ID@Xbox as a merging of these two services.

How does it work
charts-en-US.jpg

Developers sign up for the program and if entered into the first or second one. (I think they may be even beyond that on acceptance waves. Once accepted into the program they receive two Xbox One/Kinect Dev kits, as well as a ton of developer support. Microsoft will also have summits like the one they had in Seattle a few weeks ago and a upcoming one in London.

How will games be sorted in the marketplace
ID@Xbox Games are just that full games so they'll show up alongside every other game on the platform like we see on PSN and the Nintendo eshop.

Are ID games gimped in any form
Nope games accepted using the platform can use any part of the Xbox One eco system from achievements to Game DVR.

How to get games on the platform
You have three ways. You can go through a separate publisher like 505 games, you can also self publish: or alternatively publish through Microsoft Studios.

Who are some of the faces behind the program?
Chris Charla is the director of the program and think of him as Microsoft's analogue to Adam Boyles and Dan Adelman.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jtZAXYMLwbo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
chris-charla.jpg

Indie Game announced for Xbox One already. (through ID or not
Cobalt by Mojang
Shante half genie hero by Wayforward
Mighty No.9 by Comcept
Videoball by Action Button
Gunsport by Nercosoft

Developers known to be in the platform

Inis
Comcept
Vlambeer
Double Eleven
Slightly Mad Studios
Born Ready
Happion Labs
definition 6
Team 17
Panic Button
Double Fine
Drinkbox
Team Colorblind
Signal Studios
Zen Studios
Bongfish
Half-Brick
Ninja Bee
Zeboyd
The Men who where Hats
High Voltage software
Jackbox Games
Capy
Behavior
Hidden Path
Gajin Games
The odd Gentlemen
Wayforward
Different cloth
Action button
Onesoft
AngryGam3r1
IntoXicate Studios
Other Ocean
exgamers
necrosoft
Mojang
Ska Studios
SinisterSoft Limited
HOT 'n SPICY
BackSpace Games
OnekSoft Games
Smudged Cat Games
VICO Game Studio
X10 interactive
Fun Infused Games
Alientrap
Randomchaos Games
Drop Dead Interactive
Vector Unit

Games announced through the program
Below from Capy
Cobalt from Mojang
Cosmic Star Heroine from Zeboyd
DiveKick from Iron Galaxy
Energy Hook from Happion Labs
Mighy No.9 by Comcept
Minecraft: Xbox One Edition by Mojang
Nuclear Throne from Vlambeer
Project Cars from Slighty Mad
Shante Half Genie Hero by Wayforward
Shoot Many Robots sequel by Demigure

Links to follow
ID@Xbox Twitter
Chris Charla's Twitter

New News
The ID@Xbox twitter account says we should recive some new info on the developers coming up the week after Thankgiving.

Edited on by shingi_70

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

Xbox Gamertag: shingi the 70

SuperKMx

Good work, shingi_70 - love the idea of having a thread for all the ID stuff.

Mighty No. 9 and Cobalt are on my most wanted list, for sure!

Ken Barnes,
Freelance Writer, Full-Time Idiot.

Xbox Gamertag: SuperKMx | Twitter:

shingi_70

So Via Xbox Wire ID@Xbox One Chris Charla posted some news on the program like he promised.

The List of first run developers are.

Inis
Comcept
Vlambeer
Double Eleven
Slightly Mad Studios
Born Ready
Happion Labs
definition 6
Team 17
Panic Button
Double Fine
Drinkbox
Team Colorblind
Signal Studios
Zen Studios
Bongfish
Half-Brick
Ninja Bee
Zeboyd
The Men who where Hats
High Voltage software
Jackbox Games
Capy
Behavior
Hidden Path
Gajin Games
The odd Gentlemen
Wayforward

Huh my speculation list was pretty on point. It isn't the full list mind you since I know through Twitter and Google Fu that more guys than the ones on the above list got accepted into the program. It seems that they picked the either High profile developers or those who will have games ready by next year.

My next post will be adding these guys and the article to the OP while speculating what each dev is working on.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

SuperKMx

Just an absolutely awesome list of developers. SO happy to see WayForward on there, and Inis. I'm guessing it's just too much to ask for Inis to re-release Gitaroo Man on Xbox One?

Ken Barnes,

shingi_70

@DRL

Yeah i'm hoping we see ports of Kickbeat and Castlestorm as well. Castlestrom expecialy is really fun but got lose in the shift to next gen and would gain a lot by doing a release on the next gen consoles.

I updated the OP with a a bigger list of developers in the program. I found some through my Twitter magic and the rest from a blog post over SKA Studios (the guys behind The Dishwasher and Charlie Murder). I also made a list of games that are coming and link'd them to a youtube video of the game in question.

I know Noogy of Dust fame signed up for the program today, and bother Watermelon Co and Snowcastle Games are signed up and trying to get Microsoft to push their stuff through to get their respective Games (Pier Solar and Festival of Magic) onto the system.

I'm going to look into it, but i'm wondering how quickly will developers be able to turn around and release games. Two Tribes put out three ports in pretty quick succession so i'm wondering if that's possible for the Xbox One game store.

Done for today guys. Since this thread is about downloadable and indie games I might post my musings on episodic gaming. (I really need to start blogging).

WAT!

SuperKMx
shingi_70

Done for today guys. Since this thread is about downloadable and indie games I might post my musings on episodic gaming. (I really need to start blogging).

You sure do! Use that old "Contact" button at the bottom of the screen and fire us an email if you fancy writing some stuff for pX

Ken Barnes,

shingi_70

I might have to. My writing skills aren't that great but practice makes perfect I guess. Plus I was kicking around an article on episodic gaming and its impact on the industry and the xbox this coming Gen.

On a more disheartening note it seems that while ID@Xbox is getting praised, it still has its detractors due to a dumb policy that only hurts developers and gamers.

Right now ID@Xbox has a clause where there needs to be launch parity in terms of release date or its harder to get your game onto Xbox One. Microsoft says they'll work with developers on a case by case basis, but its still bad for developers who can't develop on multiple platforms at the same time, and hurts consumers who might not get the game. At the end of the day as a gamer I don't care if Octodad or GalakZ was on the PS4 first if its coming to xbox one.

Also Super Time Force is delayed till next year since its coming to xbox one.

WAT!

shingi_70

Looks like the launch Parity controversy has hit a head tonigh, since Witchbeam the developers behind Android assault cactus won't be allowed to publish through the program for hitting PS4 and WIi U first. The outrage is a bit amusing since Witch beam has said nothing but good things about the program other than, only noting that the launch parity rule sucks.

After getting a ton of tweets from people about this Chris Charla tweeted this pretty much saying he knows the rule sucks.
jwvclc6JQxbtP.png

Vlambeer posted on twitter than they're activily talking with the Xbox team to try to get the rule droped.

Microsoft is having their ID@London keynote this week brining all the European devs into the program for a 5 hour summit where some should receive dev kits. Semi related but Microsoft's Lift London studio will be taking in another indie developer in February of next year.

WAT!

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.