Following the Killer Instinct: Anniversary Edition update in November last year, the development team is this weekend testing out Ranked Crossplay between Steam and Xbox/Windows.
It's something the community has "been asking for years", and now thanks to some "fancy new services", users this weekend will be able to test it out. This test will allow the development team to determine if it should add Ranked Crossplay in a future update.
It's worth noting users will not be able to block cross-network play during this test window, and ranked leaderboards for Xbox/Windows and Steam will remain separate.
Here's the full rundown about the Ranked Crossplay Test, including the start and end dates (via ultra-combo.com):
Starts: Friday, February 9, at 12 PM PST, Ends: Monday, February 12, at 8 AM PST
Get ready, new rivals are coming your way – but with a few important caveats we’d like you to keep in mind before playing and giving us feedback:
- Ranked Leaderboards for both Xbox/Windows and Steam will remain separate.
- This is a necessary compromise for us to allow Ranked Crossplay.
- Example: If a Steam player gets a win over an Xbox player, the Steam player will gain points for the Steam Leaderboard, while the Xbox player will lose points for the Xbox Leaderboard.
- During this test window, the Block Cross-Network Play function will be bypassed in Ranked mode only. By playing Ranked, you are opting in to playing Cross-Network during this time. Other online modes are not affected.
- If you are an Xbox player concerned about performance while playing against PC users, remember: Both the Windows and Steam versions of the game require players to pass a performance test requiring 60 FPS before playing online, ensuring that your matches will feel great.
Once again, when the weekend test concludes, the Killer Instinct team will compile the community's feedback and evaluate the results to see if it's worth implementing. You can learn more about last year's anniversary update below: