Update: Valheim has just pushed out another update today that fixes the issue that "caused worlds of a certain size to be reset to Day 1 on Xbox consoles". Here's some more information:
"In this patch we finally have a fix for the issue that caused worlds of a certain size to be reset to Day 1 on Xbox consoles. We are deeply sorry that people have been losing progress, and we hope that things will run smoothly from here on out."
"If you have lost progress, you should now be able to restore some of it by using the “Manage saves” section in the main menu, provided that you still have backups with sufficient data."
Original story: Valheim has definitely proved a hit since it jumped over from PC to Xbox Game Pass earlier this month, and the game has been treated to a pretty significant patch this week, making a few key improvements.
In the video above, you can see what the game looks like across Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S when using the two original options at your disposal - Fidelity Mode (30FPS) and Performance Mode (60FPS) - but as of the new patch, there's also now a "Balanced Mode" which aims for 40FPS at a higher fidelity than Performance Mode.
"Added graphic setting “Balanced Mode” with 40 FPS and 1440p on Series X and 900p on Series S (this will only display as an option of you have a screen which supports 40 FPS)"
Elsewhere, the latest Valheim update makes an important fix to heightmaps, which were imbalanced across PC and Xbox. The downside to this is that some players may find their buildings will collapse.
Here's a bit more about this:
"This patch should fix an issue where Xbox players and PC players got different heightmaps, which could cause a player to appear to fly in the air or walk below ground. Unfortunately, if an Xbox player has built in an area like this, this change will cause buildings to collapse. We sincerely apologise for this, but it was important to make this change now to prevent further issues later down the line."
The team says that if you're having any issues with the world, you can use the "Manage Saves" button to recover an earlier version - it's worth keeping in mind as a last resort!
You'll find the rest of the patch notes for Valheim update 0.214.300 down below:
Abbreviated Patch Notes
Fixes & Improvements
* Left handed mouse fixed
* Manual saving bug fixed
* Swap Triggers controller option added
* Text & UI fixes
* Performance & various bug fixes
Detailed Patch Notes
Fixes & Improvements
* Manual save no longer causes you to respawn where you saved and can be called to a dedicated server if you are on the admin list
* Left handed mouse should now work correctly again
* Added “Swap Triggers” to control options, to be able to fix a potential issue for PlayStation controllers
* Fixed performance issues in main menu
* Fixed some special characters appearing as squares and symbols should look more like they did before
* Hovertext and text input on signs should now be displayed correctly and can use \t and \n symbols
* Text on signs should now be lit correctly and no lower glow
* Various UI & text fixes that were being displayed incorrectly
* Fixed an issue where the scrolling was slow and inverted on linux
* Engine updated to unity version 2020.03.45
* Settings for keybindings should now be saved correctly
* Added graphic setting “Balanced Mode” with 40 FPS and 1440p on Series X and 900p on Series S (this will only display as an option of you have a screen which supports 40 FPS)
* Right stick now only controls the character rotation in character screen
* Right analog stick no longer has double functionality in the character creation menu
* Heightmap differences between Xbox and PC have now been almost entirely eliminated (this means some areas in Xbox worlds will have a significant terrain change, and if you have built in these areas the buildings may unfortunately collapse)