Remember the 2009 Xbox 360 game Risen? This was a well-received action-RPG back in the day for PC, but the Xbox version received a fair bit of negative feedback due to its poor console port. Fortunately, we're getting a new one!
Yes, 14 years after the game first landed on the platform, Risen will return to Xbox (specifically Xbox One, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S) on January 24th, 2023. This version is described as "finally running smooth and in its full quality on console platforms", complete with a reworked user interface.
Here's a bit more of what to expect:
- Port of the cult RPG with full gamepad controls and reworked UI
- Open world action RPG where every action has consequences
- Divided into 4 chapters, letting you decide which side you will join
- Over 20 different spells to choose from, cast either through scrolls or runes
- Fully seamless world streaming support - No loading screens
- With each level, your character will learn and improve their skills
- Countless side quests and creatures to discover
- Over 60 hours of immersive open world gameplay
For those who haven't played it over the past decade-or-so, Risen is a game in which you'll need to "master the sword, learn the art of staff fighting, or become a powerful mage, forging your path across a land filled with mysterious earthquakes, fearsome monsters, and unimaginable treasures."
You'll find some screenshots of the new port below, along with another official description:
"Explore the mysterious volcanic island Faranga and the heavy tremors which bode ill for its inhabitants. As ancient temples have risen from the ground, they are bringing with them bizarre creatures that terrorize the area - are you brave enough to face the dangers? Find yourself caught amidst rebellion, tyranny, and mystic rituals. It is up to you to decide which way the pendulum of fate will swing."
Got any fond memories of Risen? Tell us down in the comments below!