We pointed out the best Xbox games of 2021 according to Metacritic over the weekend, but the website has also published its list of the worst games of the year as well, and it certainly makes for some interesting reading.
To be honest, the inclusion of some of these titles seems a little harsh — Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Earthblood, for example, is actually a pretty fun game if you can look past some of the flaws, although we can understand why eFootball 2022 took the crown as the worst of the year as it was in a pretty horrific state at launch.
Without further ado, here are the top ten worst games of the year according to Metacritic:
- eFootball 2022 - 25 (PC)
- Balan Wonderworld - 36 (Nintendo Switch)
- Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Earthblood - 42 (PS4)
- Taxi Chaos - 42 (PS4)
- Of Bird and Cage (PC)
- GTA: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition - 47 (Nintendo Switch)
- I Saw Black Clouds - 48 (PS4)
- Arkham Horror: Mother's Embrace - 48 (PC)
- Demon Skin - 48 (PC)
- Necromunda: Hired Gun - 49 (PS4)
You might have noticed that there aren't any Xbox ratings in the top ten there, and that seems to be because Xbox simply gets less reviews for multi-platform games in general (particularly compared to PlayStation). Metacritic doesn't include games in these roundups that get less than 7 critic reviews, for example, and eFootball 2022 doesn't actually have any Xbox reviews on the website. Nevertheless, here's the Xbox version if you're interested:
- Balan Wonderworld - 47
- GTA: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition - 56
- Necromunda: Hired Gun - 56
- Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Earthblood - 58
- Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance - 58
- Recompile - 58
- Big Rumble Boxing: Creed Champions - 58
- Taxi Chaos - 59
- Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water - 60
- SkateBIRD - 60
- Monster Jam Steel Titans 2 - 60
It should be noted that although these games have ended up ranking in the "worst" of the year, some of them have gone on to implement major patches and updates that have improved the experience since they were first rated.
Despite what the rankings might suggest, there are still some good games to be found in these lists (Demon Skin has a "Very Positive" rating on Steam, for example). Others, however, seem doomed to be terrible forever.
Do you agree with these worst games of 2021 lists from Metacritic? Let us know down in the comments.