Sea of Thieves took a dramatic change to a seasonal format in recent months, and Rare its now ushering in its second season, which features a wide array of new content and is available today.
Much like the first season, there's an insane amount of content here which comes with new world events, customisation items, and a whole new set of seasonal rewards to unlock across 100 levels. Here's a brief rundown of everything you can expect when you boot up the new season.
Sea of Thieves Season Two (15th April)
Seasonal Progression and Rewards
- Season Two is here, bringing new levels of progression alongside new rewards to earn. Crews are free to enjoy the game their way, playing through the Season on their terms, while a wealth of new features arriving in Season Two also add to the Season journey.
- Progressing through Season Two will reward pirates with the Lucky Hand clothing set, unique Season Two specials along with time-limited Ocean Deep collectibles.
- For those sneaky pirates looking to hide in plain sight, the new Barrel Disguise Emote can be earned early in the Season by progressing to level 13. Check those barrels, crew!
- Players who are already Pirate Legend, or earn this Title during the Season, will be able to unlock the Athena’s Might Cutlass and Shackled Phantom Hull.
- Completing each tier within the Season will award a unique Title that shows your success for all to see!
- The Season Two reward view has been redesigned, providing more clarity between rewards earned for free through regular Season play and those unlocked with the additional purchase of the Plunder Pass!
Season Two Trials
- Players looking to accelerate their progress through a Season should take on the Trials – themed sets of tasks known as Deeds that will test your adventuring, exploring and battling capabilities.
- Season Two contains a refreshed set of Trials for experienced pirates, incentivising the high-risk, high-reward nature of Emissary play, Fort of Fortune raiding, Lost Shipment recovery and Merchant trading. New players will benefit from a refined Maiden Voyage progression experience, bringing them gently into the world of Sea of Thieves.
- Season Two brings new focus to sailing the Sea of Thieves as a Trading Company Emissary. New rewards, access to raw Commodities and the lure of Trade Routes all await – and for those who aren’t Emissaries yet, all the info you need is now available from the Companies!
Forts of Fortune
- Fought through so many Skeleton Forts that you no longer fear the challenge? Stand ready when a strange, scarred Skull Cloud announces the awakening of a Fort of Fortune, loaded with powerful foes and Athena’s Treasures for those who can slay them all!
- For those seeking something a little more focused than the intentionally wide-ranging Trials, each new Season delivers a new time-limited in-game Event offering its own rewards. Find out what you can expect when the Reapers go on the warpath in Season Two!
- With Black Phoenix ship cosmetics among Season Two’s Plunder Pass treasures and the Dark Warsmith collection headlining the Emporium stock, it falls to the Reaper’s Heart Dog and some high-spirited emotes (including the free Thigh Slapper) to lighten the mood this month!
This is only the brief outline of everything included in Sea of Thieves Season Two. If you're looking to delve into each section with a bit more depth, you can find the full release notes on the official website, detailing all the new changes.
From its rocky beginnings, Sea of Thieves has evolved into something great, and is backed by a huge community. It's one of the best multiplayer experiences you can dive into on Xbox Game Pass right now, while also being an absolute stunner on Xbox Series X|S. If you're looking for a place to start then Season Two may just be your best chance yet.
Will you be sailing into Season Two of Sea of Thieves? Let us know in the comments below.