Forums

Topic: Xbox 360 Hidden Gems

Posts 1 to 20 of 22

LtSarge

So during the past year, I've been looking into buying more 360 games and I discovered that there are tons of games on 360 that I don't know much about that are apparently rather good. Right now I'm considering buying Alpha Protocol, Singularity and Prey for €20 in total. I've heard great things about these games and while Alpha Protocol apparently has bugs that were never ironed out, the praise for the game seems to outweigh the technical issues, so I'm definitely willing to give it a shot.

I'd love to hear some other recommendations on 360 hidden gems to get. Other ones that have caught my interest are The Godfather 2, Quake 4, Clive Barkers Jericho, Quantum Theory, Army of Two: The 40th Day, Lost Planet 1 and Timeshift to name a few.

LtSarge

ralphdibny

50 Cent Blood on the Sand.

Like gears of war but much better because you can play as the G-Unit and unleash Hip Hop justice on those who have crossed you.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

LtSarge

@ralphdibny Ah cool, will have to keep an eye out for that one! I'm actually interested in playing more games that play like Gears of War, such as Binary Domain and Quantum Theory. It's just crazy to me that there were so many decent-looking games from the PS3/360 era that people have completely forgotten about.

Also, didn't you mention a while ago when we were talking about Wolfenstein that you were planning on playing the 2009 game? I'm also interested in checking that one out. Apparently the developer for that game also made Singularity and Quake 4, of which the former I'm planning on buying. Sounds like they could be quite a solid developer, so if Singularity turns out great then I might just have to play the other games as well.

LtSarge

ralphdibny

@LtSarge haha sorry, I was joking a bit. But I do prefer it to real gears of war because the subject matter is of more interest to me. I think it's a good game, as long as you play it with tongue firmly in cheek. Thinking about it as well, it probably is my favourite 360 game anyway 😅.

I've never even heard of binary domain and quantum theory. I think a lot of GoW clones came out once the style was popularised which was tough luck for me since I couldn't really get into Gears at the time. I know I've since played them all, and I still think they are a bit overrated but I did have a better time with them at least.

Wolf 2009 is still a long way out for me. I have lots of real life stuff to do unfortunately and I'm struggling to keep up with two game clubs at the moment. I have considered starting 3D though just to get the ball rolling. I think I'm going to knock Mafia on the head now as I've done the campaign. I've done about half of the missions in free ride but I just can't do that alien infiltration one so I think I'm going to give up on it. Will hopefully start plague tale next week...

Not sure what Singularity is but I am interested in playing the quakes as I've dabbled in the earlier ones over the years. I do have a sneaking suspicion that we might get Xbox ports of the quake series. Not sure why considering a third of the Wolfenstein series remains unported. I feel like it might come a long at the same time as an announcement for a new entry. Then again I could just be hoping for ports/a collection. I feel like they might want to do something unique with a new entry like they did with Doom and Doom Eternal which have probably got to be 2 of the most unique FPS out there. Not really sure what they could do with Quake to make it unique though.

See ya!

LtSarge

@ralphdibny Yeah I kinda figured that was the case, lol. I just didn't know how to respond because I genuinely want to talk about this topic with other people. That's actually one thing that I miss with Push Square, which is the passionate people there who play all kinds of games and will discuss pretty much anything, just like me. Doesn't seem to be that many on this site, sadly.

Regarding Quake, one of the comments on that Quake article mentioned something that makes sense, which is that we've already seen two new Doom games now and so it would make sense to revive another franchise instead of making another Doom game. Apparently, Quake is pretty much like Doom but "evolved" in some aspects I guess? So I think it would be cool to see that series be revived, which would also give me an incentive to play the older games.

But yeah, I've had a huge craving lately to check out these older games ever since I started playing Forza Motorsport 4 again on 360 and realising that I've barely played any games on there. I never knew until recently that PS3 and 360 have such huge libraries due to how many clones were coming out at the time. As long as the clones hold up well then I don't mind checking them out!

LtSarge

ralphdibny

@LtSarge come back to push Square! Just stay out of the comments sections and stick to games and don't get into platforms/business side of things. Not saying you can't broach those topics but you might be able to take what you can from the enjoyable part of pushsquare and stay out of the uglier side of it that made you leave in the first place. People gauge and guide their conversation to the moment all the time, I believe it's called "reading the room". I avoid certain threads and also certain conversation topics and even certain users because I know it won't be enjoyable for me and it certainly wouldn't be enjoyable for them to talk to me 😅. But yeah, it's up to you. You'd definitely be welcome back, the legend of KratosMD lives on!!

Apologies for my apathy, I do hold it back a fair bit just so I'm less of a bore to talk to 😂. I do have a passion for certain game series like Doom, Metal Gear, Mortal Kombat, Zelda, Uncharted etc etc. I can talk about that stuff for hours, days, even years. Most games that I play at the moment though are "just for the experience" I guess. Stuff that I "should" check out like Halos, Gears of Wars, God of Wars etc etc. I mean, theyre OK games but I don't find them amazing and in a way, actually giving them a chance and playing them through as extensively as I do allows me to validate my apathy toward them.

But yeah, there's a few bods here and I do find your threads take a minute to blossom but they do blossom. People drop in to offer a thought here and there. Though apathetic in nature, my posts can offer a bump to the top of the forum for your threads at least 😅.

Of the Quakes I've played, the only one I can remember playing briefly was Quake 3 Arena which was just an online shooter. I don't think it really compared to any Doom games I've played barring the the genre that they share.

I've recent-ishly bought my non-BC 360 games again on PS3 so I actually have a place to play them, if I ever get time that is. The 3 games being, 50 Cent, Lost Via Domus and Mortal Kombat VS DC Universe. A random and paltry selection but I think I was more into the Wii back then anyway so I never got onto the gritty cover shooter craze that sweeped the 360 era. I think the only digital 360 games I had that are lost to the broken console were Turtles in Time ReShelled and Marvel Vs Capcom 2.

I'm trying to think if there's anything I'd actually want to try that's specifically exclusive to 360 and not available on either PS3 or modern consoles either as a rerelease or BC. Probably the only exclusive I can think of is Project Gotham 3 and even then, I don't know how I'd get on with it. My list for OG Xbox is slightly larger at the original Halo and Halo 2 (but I've probably had my fill of Halo) and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2X which unfortunately never came out in the UK and may actually be rendered moot by the remake. I'd still get it though if I had a US Xbox kicking about.

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

ralphdibny

@Beagle conviction is so dope! I think I actually prefer Blacklist though (despite the lack of Michael Ironside). Blacklist is like a perfect modern reimagining of the classic game play and I'd love for them to make more Splinter Cells in that style, preferably with the original voice actor

See ya!

SithItachi

Fable 1-3 imho. I just recently replayed them and totally forgot how much i enjoyed that series. DO recommend.

SithItachi

Twitter:

LtSarge

@Beagle I did play the first hour of that game and it was really fun. I do however want to play the Splinter Cell games in order (as I tend to do with most series) so a playthrough of that game will have to wait. But I'm definitely looking forward to playing it!

@ralphdibny I mean it's not really that easy because it wasn't only the comment sections that bothered me. There were long-time members on the forums that I got into arguments with and I feel like a fair amount of people resented me towards the end that I didn't feel like staying on the forums anymore. It was totally my fault btw, so it's not like I have a grudge towards anyone at Push Square. But yeah, the feeling of being ignored by people who I've talked with for years wasn't great.

Maybe I can have a fresh start or something. I'll definitely consider it because at this rate, I feel like all the posts that I'm writing here about completed games and whatnot are just for myself, lol.

Ah I didn't know that your 360 is broken, sorry to hear that. But at least PS3 also shares a large amount of hidden gems with 360. I've bought a couple of games for it recently, such as Castlevania Lords of Shadow, Enslaved Odyssey to the West, Kingdoms of Amalur and Dante's Inferno. I prefer though to buy games on 360 since I didn't play as much on there, most games on 360 performed better than on PS3 and also because I prefer achievements over trophies, lol.

I guess this would be going off-topic, but have you considered checking out PS3 exclusive hidden gems? Stuff like Puppeteer, Tokyo Jungle, Siren and so on. PS3 definitely had way more exclusives than 360 so I feel like there would be more for you to discover there.

@SithThanos Even though I've owned a 360 for over a decade now I still haven't gotten around to the Fable series! I really want to though, I already own all three games on 360. It's just a matter of motivation. But yeah, I've heard so much praise for that series that I'll definitely have to start playing the first game soon.

LtSarge

ralphdibny

@LtSarge fair enough, I don't know who exactly you are referring to but there are a few new faces over at PS and quite a few people have ducked out or are less present because of changing commitments. I would say the following though,

Don't take ignorance personally. It is what it is, maybe people decided to remove themselves from a heated situation or more likely, real life got in the way. People don't always have time to comment on message boards. I'm the opposite in that I find it difficult to end a conversation that feels like it's going on a bit and repeating itself. I'm far too polite sometimes so I feel like I have to reply to stuff, but then you get two polite people and the politeness never ends 😂.

But yeah, if some long time users aren't that interested any more then it is what it is. Just move forward with those who are willing to engage. It's just life, both in reality and on here. Either that or just ask them what the deal is, some people may not have realised they have gone silent. I witnessed something like that while I was lurking on the NL forums the other day.

If you are really that bothered about it, you could stick an apology in the chit chat thread or something. You don't have to capitulate your viewpoint in order to apologise, just say you are sorry for the way things turned out and leaving abruptly. Only if you feel you need to though. To be honest, I reckon that people will just say something like "Don't be silly" which is a common English response to an apology that is more or less analogous to "water under the bridge". Apologies can be self serving though and I find they make a lot of difference to my happiness if I feel bad because I've treated somebody poorly. (I can occasionally be more of a douchebag in real life 😅)

Honestly though, the few times that the legend of KratosMD has come up, it's always been with fondness. People seem to remember you fondly for your conversation starters and your superhuman ability to play and complete a lot of games quickly. I haven't told anyone that you are over here, though I'm sure the users common to both sites have realised it. But yeah, it's not my business to offer updates on you and I wanted to respect your decision to leave and make camp over here. I'm sure that some users will be glad to hear from you and know that you're ok.

On your second point, I do normally read most of your posts but don't always reply unless I have something to actually say back. It's still of interest even if I'm exhibiting "lurker" behaviour. Sometimes I'll make a joke, sometimes I'll offer a conversational response, I do feel a bit bad though if all I have to offer is negativity or apathy. Unfortunately that is my natural state, I do try to be positive, happy and excited for certain things. Only when it's warranted though, feels like it's more genuine to me like that.

As you know, I tend to stay out of the corporate d***-measuring and p***ing contests which is why you won't see me in like the Series X thread for example. I have a general anti corporate sentiment anyway and I'll never shill for anyone unless my tongue is placed firmly in cheek. Fair enough, people do post valid responses in that thread but the majority of it seems to be dominated by one user who reposts tweets/YouTube videos with a bias toward a pro Xbox/anti everything else sentiment and that I can do without. I know there's an ignore button but I don't like to be in the dark about what's going on, should I ever decide to join the conversation.

Back to lighter conversation 😅 lol. Yeah my 360 broke like a month out of its warranty. Soured me off the Xbox brand for almost a decade (yes I know I contradict my current attitudes with that lol). Finally decided to come back when I had an offer on a One X that was too good to pass up and the general reputation for hardware reliability as well as value got better in the Xbox camp. Initially just to play the exclusives I had missed out on (even though I knew I'd be lukewarm towards them) but have obviously found a few absolute bangers like Forza Horizon and Ori that I would never have tried without an Xbox. I do most of my multiplat gaming on it now too just because it's the mid gen upgrade so it has an edge over my aging base PS4.

I also apologise for going off topic 😅. I generally sit closer to a conversationalist view point. I like small tangents that can alleviate a specific topic. Just feels more natural to me. Ive bought puppeteer, in the great false gold rush of the PS3 store closure. I've also bought Tokyo Jungle even though I've played it before and didn't really rate it, but it is a PS3 exclusive y'know? So there is an element of "get it before it's gone"!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

LtSarge

@ralphdibny You bring up some excellent points, not to mention knowledge useful in my everyday life in general. I tend to get hung up on specific things instead of looking at the bigger picture. So maybe that's one aspect of me that I need to get better at. But yeah, I'll think about it and maybe I'll make my return soon on the forums (but staying away from the comment sections, lol).

I wasn't singling you out when I said that. It's more like I've written so many posts about the games I've played the entire summer and I've barely gotten any replies. It just feels like I could've written all of that stuff on Push Square and gotten way more replies, you know? After all, I'm writing the posts in order to encourage discussions because I love talking about games. It also helps me experience different perspectives on how one can view a game.

Oh that's cool, so you still have a lot of Xbox exclusives to check out that's come out in the past decade. I'm guessing Game Club has been very useful in this case then since we've checked out a lot of exclusives since the beginning of this year. I'm also guessing that there are a couple of 360 exclusives like Kameo that you haven't checked out either, so there's still a lot for you to discover.

LtSarge

ralphdibny

@LtSarge glad it's useful. I don't really like saying stuff like that because people just do what they want anyway and they don't need me patronising them 😅. But yeah, thought I'd give a bit of encouragement seeing as you are considering a return to the blue side anyway.

But yeah honestly, you are only human. As am I. I get hung up on the weirdest of stuff and there is loads of stuff I can't see if all I'm seeing is red (or any other metaphorical colour of emotion). I think I'm just on the outside of your situation so maybe it's a different perspective. I guess, I dunno lol

I have so many regrets in my life, my real life. Missed opportunities, broken relationships, just stuff I wish I'd done differently. It's all time I will never get back. If someone had told me in those moments that I should try and see them differently, I wouldn't have listened. I'm as stubborn and anxious as the next person. I can't say it's an amazing way to be, from personal experience lol.

And no worries, I know you weren't singling me out. I just said it so you didn't think your thread posts were going ignored. And likewise, I tried to be as specific as possible in my description of the notable shill so nobody thought I was referring to them. People are having a decent conversation in that thread at the moment, it's not one I'm interested in but at least it's between two actual people. The specific user I was referring to doesn't even seem like a real person to be honest but somehow I can't see MS creating such a catty bot to engage with this websites community 😂 so yeah, who knows!

I think the forum community is smaller here. It's more concise but it's far from dead. It would be nice to have more faces, especially some from the PushSquare mob show up. You might not get a response to every post you make especially as they are vast and varied but I think people do respond if they have something to say, for sure. It happens to me too, both here and on NL and PS, just gotta move on though if nobody responds to me 😂.

Ah yeah there are a few Rare games I suppose, I think like many people, Ive always thought the main Xbox franchises were gears, Halo and Forza and that's about it. Obviously I've found out there's a few more than that now but apart from the Rare games, I can't think of what else there might be. I know some will be coming up due to the various buyouts of studios and publishers. I guess there's Fable too, but that will be something I'll have to make a big amount of time for and that's likely to be years away.

You've just reminded me of when I was ticking off my PS Plus list. (Another "benefit" of coming back to PS is that you can read my short and often snarky reviews of some of these games 😅). I think I found a total of about 3 hidden gems in that lot.

Eat Them! - a PS3 exclusive game which was way better than it had any right to be. I ended up going for all the trophies on it and then I bought it once my sub had lapsed.

Zombie Driver HD - I finished the main story of this, it's like a retro GTA game but it's a zombie related storyline. Again, way better than it had any right to be. I played it on PS3 and then bought it again on Switch.

VVVVVV - I played this on Vita and you know I am a bit of a fiend for a catchy 2D platformer (which means I usually avoid all the generic looking indie ones). This one got me hooked and I actually think it's one of the best modern platformers I've played since like Ori Blind Forest and Donkey Kong Country Returns on Wii before that.

I'll try to find and post the links to my mini reviews in a minute so you don't have to search the thread. You don't have to read them but I'll post them anyway lol

See ya!

Shigurui

Here's a few suggestions, not necessarily hidden but definitely gems..

The Club - A score attack 3rd person shooter from Bizarre Creations.

Blur - Another Bizarre Creations game, basically Mario Kart with real world vehicles and locations.

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron - A 3rd person action platformer, you play as Enoch who's been sent to earth by God to hunt down fallen angels. I recommend playing this on PS3 as the 360 version has some major issues that never got fixed.

Shadows of the Damned - From Shinji Mikami and Suda51 with music from Akira Yamaoka. An absolutely bonkers 3rd person action shooter, it has the over shoulder shooting from Resi 4 but it's a much faster paced game. Head to the underworld and rescue your kidnapped girlfriend with your talking gun Johnson. This one is available through EA Play/Game Pass.

Honkai Star Rail UID: 714980866 (EU Server)

TimG13

A few of these games have already been listed above, but I figured an extra mention wouldn't hurt:

Alpha Protocol
Binary Domain
Blur
Bulletstorm
Call Of Juarez
Call Of Juarez: Bound In Blood
Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow
The Chronicles Of Riddick: Assault On Dark Athena
The Darkness II - the Starbreeze original is also worth a look, but I personally rate Digital Extremes' sequel higher.
Driver: San Francisco
EndWar
Kane And Lynch 2: Dog Days - definitely an acquired taste, this one, but come in with an open mind and you might be pleasantly surprised.
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Red Faction: Armageddon
Ruse
Spec Ops: The Line - if you're only to play one game on this list, it's this one.
Vanquish

TimG13

ralphdibny

@LtSarge ok here goes...

Review set 1: https://www.pushsquare.com/forums/ps3/what_ps3_games_are_you_...

Review set 2: https://www.pushsquare.com/forums/ps3/what_ps3_games_are_you_...

Review set 3: https://www.pushsquare.com/forums/ps3/what_ps3_games_are_you_... (another gem in this one called Divekick)

Review set 4: https://www.pushsquare.com/forums/ps3/what_ps3_games_are_you_...

Review set 5: https://www.pushsquare.com/forums/ps3/what_ps3_games_are_you_...

Review set 6: https://www.pushsquare.com/forums/ps3/what_ps3_games_are_you_...

And yep, I think that's it. You don't have to read them although it would tickle my vanity if you did 😂. But seriously, don't feel obliged. Might be worth perusing the few comments after them too as there were some additional thoughts/discussions to be had. They are quite snippy too, so not a long read. Unless the game was good in which case I had more to say. @RogerRoger was a good sport in all that and replied/had thoughts on all of my reviews! 😃

Also, best of luck with your PS return too. I don't think it will necessarily be easy but it will be much less hard than you think!!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

LtSarge

@ralphdibny I actually have Zombie Driver HD on 360, I didn't know it was that good. I just bought it a long time ago when it was on sale, lol. I might just have to check it out soon now.

@Shigurui I own El Shaddai on 360, although I didn't know the 360 version had issues. Are they serious issues that affect gameplay/progress or just some bugs that you might encounter that are just annoying?

@TimG13 Nice list! I've played or own a good amount of games from that list. A question about Alpha Protocol, I've read that the game has a lot of bugs but is it still worth playing through on 360?

I'm also interested in checking out the Call of Juarez games. Would you also recommend Gunslinger on XBLA? People don't seem to like The Cartel though, so I might just check out those three games.

@ralphdibny Dear lord, that's a lot of games! The only thing that caught my eye once again was Zombie Driver HD and considering I haven't played the original GTA games, it might just tickle me fancy. It sounds really fun the way you described it.

Yeah I'm already noticing the difference in that I'm writing a lot more on PS than PX, lol. I guess deep down I'm still mostly a PlayStation player or that's at least where most of the games that I adore are.

LtSarge

ralphdibny

@LtSarge cheers for reading some/all of it (not sure how much you actually read! But yeah, it's just a lot busier over on PS so may suit the manic spread of your conversation topics better (I say that in a nice way 👍). You don't have to think of yourself as a PS or an XB gamer though to be honest. It's ok to just be a gamer and just go where the games are! I was actually thinking up a ridiculously pretentious platitude the other day (sometimes I just make random stuff like that up 😂) but yeah, my end result was.... "relate, don't define" in that you can relate to things but not define yourself by them (which is something I have been guilty of all too often in my own life). Keep your individuality but share your commonalities. Ok, that's enough pretentious patronisation for one day methinks 😂. I'm glad you are off to a good start!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Shigurui

@LtSarge Some of El Shaddai's levels are side scrolling and for some reason they hammer the framerate into single digit slideshows. Once it happens it affects the whole game and becomes unplayable. You can delete the game and reinstall for a temporary fix but it will happen again. The PS3 version doesn't have any issues whatsoever.

Honkai Star Rail UID: 714980866 (EU Server)

LtSarge

@Shigurui Yikes, that sounds terrible. I tend to look up which version of a game to buy before I buy it but I didn't this because because most of the time, the 360 version is better than the PS3 one. This seems like one of the few instances it isn't, which is sad. Well I just have to hope that I'll be able to put up with it whenever I decide to play it.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

ralphdibny

@Beagle I think Blacklist has the option for both styles to be honest. But I can't confirm as I played it stealthily. There's also a few kind of extra non story missions that are either completely stealth, completely assault or completely something else, I forget now. I can't say I enjoyed the assault levels that much to be honest lol.

It's definitely more difficult than conviction, the levels themselves seem less linear? Certainly the stealthy extra missions are less linear at least. I think conviction was quite cinematic all the way through too, whereas Blacklist has cinematic moments but they don't take over the gameplay.

It's sort of the best of both worlds, you get the stealth of SC1-4 and the cinematic nature/action of Conviction. But of course you can play it however you want to. Bit like MGSV in that regard but MGSV is a way easier game and has a lot more options and open hubworld. Whereas Blacklist has a tiny hub area that you pick your missions from which are individual levels

See ya!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.