Forums

Topic: Metal Gear Rising

Posts 1 to 8 of 8

RR529

Picked this up at the same time I picked up the ZOEHD collection, and now that I've finished it, I've started on this.

I think I'm about halfway through the first real mission (just entered the industrial park), and so far I just love how over the top everything has been. You can cut pretty much anything in the environment to shreds, which is cool (I was worried when I obliterated a staircase I thought I'd need to get up to where I was supposed to go, but luckily you can simply scale the wall).

BTW, the only other thread I saw for this was over 2 years old, so I hope it's okay to open a new one?

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

tylertreese

Started this a few weeks ago in anticipation for MGS V. I only beat the first 2 missions and then played one of the free DLC add-ons (the one where you are the cool Spanish guy). Need to get back to it!

"Eat light, you stupid machine!" - Lex, Bioforge

Xbox Gamertag: tylertreese | Twitter:

RR529

tylertreese wrote:

Started this a few weeks ago in anticipation for MGS V. I only beat the first 2 missions and then played one of the free DLC add-ons (the one where you are the cool Spanish guy). Need to get back to it!

Yeah, I'm still not too far in (I'm in the middle of the level that takes place in the Mexican sewer), and I just love Kojima's style. Amidst all the action & bloodspray, you save a kid who says "A Ninja!? Cowabunga...", before continuing to sing "Go Ninja, Go Ninja, Go!", lol.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to play any of the DLC missions because we have a basic model with no hard drive.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Sorry for the double post, but I have to say I love all the Easter eggs Kojima puts into these things.

I'll go into more detail on this once I beat the game, but I seen one I just have to share (don't worry, there's no story spoilers).

Near the end of Mission R-03, when the level's boss is making his big long winded speech the game goes into a first person view, and if you look to the right (instead of looking at the boss in front of you), you'll see one of the regular enemy cyborgs on all fours playing with a stray cat, lol (he even waves goodbye when it moves on).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

tylertreese

RR529 wrote:

Near the end of Mission R-03, when the level's boss is making his big long winded speech the game goes into a first person view, and if you look to the right (instead of looking at the boss in front of you), you'll see one of the regular enemy cyborgs on all fours playing with a stray cat, lol (he even waves goodbye when it moves on).

That is awesome! I love the little touches in Metal Gear games.

"Eat light, you stupid machine!" - Lex, Bioforge

Xbox Gamertag: tylertreese | Twitter:

RR529

@tylertreese, TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if the cat is hidden somewhere in every level. I also saw it walking around on the beach at the beginning of mission R-01, where it would expertly dodge all of your attacks, even in blade mode, if you tried to attack it.

There are other Easter eggs which I won't spoil, unless you want me to.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

I completed the story mode last night!

The Good:

• The gameplay is a total blast, and it never got old pulling off flashy finishers.
  • There are lots of extras to find in the main levels, like data storage chips (concept art), enemy ID's (certain enemies will have a yellow QR code icon above them if they have one. slice off their left arm to collect it), and a few hidden "Men in Boxes" (I suppose this would also count as a general Easter egg/homage to the Metal Gear series itself). All of these are viewable in the Collection section of the main menu.
  • There are also 20 "VR Missions" to unlock, by activating terminals in the main game. These are accessed via the main menu, and I haven't tried any of them out yet (I think I got them all).
  • While never as creative as those in the main MGS line, the bosses are all fun, and in Platinum fashion, some are epically larger than life.
  • They threw in some unique areas that expanded variety, while not feeling tacked on (such as the stealth centered section where you take control of a helpless Dwarf Gekko, or a pitch black section where you have to use your VR view to map out where everything is).
  • Easter eggs aplenty. In addition to the aforementioned cat appearances & MIB's, there are also a few posters of Japanese bikini models hidden in a couple levels (they are all covered up with police tape or a more modest outfit, unless you slash them in blade mode).
  • Graphically it looks really, really good.

The Neutral:

• Plenty of Quick Time Events. While I didn't mind them, I know mileage may vary when it comes to different people.
  • The supporting cast didn't stand out that much, IMO. I liked "Wolf" (your robotic dog companion), though not as much as ZOE's ADA, when it comes to AI companions, and this kid you save in level R-02 is really cool too, though they don't keep him around enough.
  • The story didn't have as many twists & turns as your typical MGS game. The bad guys are very clearly defined, though they make Raiden question his own choices in morality. It's not bad, though.
  • Rock music blared during every boss fight. While it got the blood pumping, none of the songs really stood out, IMO.

The Bad:

• Can't think of anything I particularly disliked, TBH.

Just as a disclosure, I played it on Easy (I heard Platinum's games can get pretty intense, so I figured it would be the best choice for me).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

KelticDevil

@RR529:

H. Kojima didn't make that game. It was developed by Platinum Games. But they are awesome too.

KelticDevil

Xbox Gamertag: Keltic Devil

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.