Forums

Topic: Is MS slowing down support for the 360?

Posts 1 to 6 of 6

Tasuki

I ask this cause the last few weeks the sales for gold have only had a few games for sale 360 wise compared to the One. I don't follow MS news too much since nowadays it seems to be more focused on the One which it should. But I was just wondering did I miss something? The 360 is my main MS system. I don't see me getting an Xbox One anytime unless some huge game comes out for it that I want. I know that MS said that they would continue to support the 360 for a few years after the One's release. So there's that too.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Vincent294

Seems to be the case, there aren't even that many new releases this year aside from Platinum Games. I still play it from time to time for non-backwards compatible games through the HDMI in on my One, so I'm hoping for support into at least 2017. The last few system updates have been pretty comprehensive, so I'm guessing MS plans on winding down support in the next year or two. Hell, the Wii U is starting to decline. You got your PS4 at least.

Vincent294

Xbox Gamertag: Vincent294

BAMozzy

@Tasuki: The original Xbox had its last 'release' around 18months after the XB360 came out (Xiaolin Showdown released in June 2007) although in the US they did get a couple of new Madden games (or similar) after this. MS though continued to 'support' the console for a good few years after that. Support for out-of-warranty Xbox consoles was discontinued on March 2, 2009 and support for Xbox Live on the console ended on April 15, 2010 - nearly 5 years after the release the XB360. If MS does follow the same pattern, then it will have a few more years of 'support' but whether that includes many 'deals with gold' or not as I don't know how the pricing or decisions are made on these is done. Is it purely MS's decision or is there any contact with the publishers? Its not like a physical retailer after all.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

Xbox Gamertag: bamozzy

SuperKMx

Well of course it is, but it depends on your definition of "support."

The Xbox 360 isn't the company's lead platform so new games will dry up sooner, rather than later. The only things left will be EA Sports' "Legacy" releases of their sports titles, and I'd imagine we'll get to that point within the next 12 months. By the time September rolls around, I'd fully expect FIFA 17 to be the only new Xbox 360 release on the calendar.

If you're talking technical support, then that's going to be around for a good few years yet, I'd imagine.

Sales aren't being pushed on Xbox 360 for two reasons, in my opinion. Firstly, they don't want to overshadow the weekly Xbox One offerings, since they're the headline items. Secondly, they're keeping their powder dry for when games hit backward compatibility on Xbox One. No point discounting Enslaved by 75% on Xbox 360 now, when it'll sell a BOATLOAD more copies when it's discounted by 50% in the week it arrives on the B/C list.

Ken Barnes,
Freelance Writer, Full-Time Idiot.

Xbox Gamertag: SuperKMx | Twitter:

Tasuki

@SuperKMx: I guess that makes sense with the backwards compatibility. Hopefully their entire 360 library will be BC sooner then later cause there are still a bunch of games I want to get for the 360.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

CrazyOtto

Is there a list of Xbox 360 games slated for 2016 anywhere?

CrazyOtto

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.