Forums

Topic: Pure Xbox Game Club - Rise of the Tomb Raider (May)

Posts 1,481 to 1,500 of 3,395

ralphdibny

@themightyant haha is it backwards compatible? I will stick it on the list!

Cheers for the offer, I may take you up on it but I'll see how we get on for the first few months at least!

Booyakasha

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

themightyant

@ralphdibny Shamefully it isn't. THIS is why game preservation is so important... or something. #culled

No worries. Any time it's getting a bit much just give us a shout and one of us will pick up the slack.

themightyant

R1spam

@ralphdibny Thanks for putting this out for people's views and the graft you put in as admin! I definitely don't miss the HLTB posts for new game as like you, times precious. As someone who has only started participating this year, the community here have been super friendly and welcoming and hope I've managed to chip in as a newcomer. I would vote yes to try it out. One of the best things about gamepass is that everyone with it instantly has a shared library to play and discuss. I hope some more noobs join and find it as a positive as I have!

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

ralphdibny

@R1spam cheers, brilliant stuff! I don't feel like your a newcomer but maybe that's because I've seen you over on Push Square a bit in the past too 😅. But yeah, glad you're enjoying your time in the thread!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

ralphdibny

Apologies for the tag if you have already replied!

Anybody else have any thoughts on this? If not then I will close the poll in the affirmative tonight and let Fraser know.

So far the response had been overwhelmingly but tentatively positive!

@Tothington91 @MAC26 @XBontendo @Justifier @LtSarge @Tjuz @nessisonett @crippyd @Krzzystuff @sib @Ryu_Niiyama @LeanerFasterStronger @cracked_seal @Mr-Fuggles777 @Mundaney @KilloWertz @Beagle @antifyre @Magabro @themightyant @ZeD @K1LLEGAL @Balta666 @Bmartin001 @Banjo- @R1spam @lookupmore @Dusk_Actual @Royalblues @Lavalera

See ya!

KilloWertz

Yeppers

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

ralphdibny

@FraserG seems like the response is overwhelmingly in favour of going ahead with the promotion 😃

Please do make it into an article. Really appreciate it mate, thanks again!

See ya!

FraserG

Great stuff, I will attempt to put something together this weekend! When do you usually pick a game for the month ahead? Is there a specific date for me to keep an eye out for?

News Editor, Pure Xbox

Twitter:

ralphdibny

@FraserG sweet, cheers! Voting currently stays open until the end of the month so the game basically gets picked the first day of the month along with the thread update/title change. That being said, there's normally a clear front runner earlier in the month and most people stop voting within the first week or two. Unless there is a tie, in which case I nudge people to vote!

I can add you to the tag list if you like so you'll get a tag when the thread changes. That's pretty much the only time I ever use the tag list on most months because I don't want to spam people. Occasionally I will use it if there's either a tie or we have some sort of additional vote like this month

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Krzzystuff

Ok so I just rolled credits on Guardians last night and some mixed feelings.

The story is 9/10.

The game is a 6/10.

This easily could have been a movie or something as the story was fantastic. The banter was great throughout and I see why they got so many nominations and awards for that part. But i also see why there wasn't anything nominated for gameplay. It was long and boring. The cutscenes took forever and then you were in the Milano talking to the crew for a large portion only to walk out and start another cutscene. Then you walked around in a beautiful world as they talked to start another cutscene with maybe a bit of the lack luster combat. I actually fell asleep on 4 separate gaming nights while playing because of the lack of gameplay. The final 2 bosses weren't great and the ending was lack luster as well. So this was a great animated movie/series but a pretty poor game. Was still enjoyable but definitely a one and done.

Edited on by Krzzystuff

Krzzystuff

Xbox Gamertag: Krzzystuff

themightyant

@Krzzystuff Completely agree with everything you said. I scored it a touch higher (7.5) because the good outweighed the bad for me personally and I don't mind a good walking sim, which this was more towards. (Might have actually been improved as a proper walking sim. lol)

Hopefully if there is a sequel they would go back to the drawing board with the combat which was awful. They might be forced to as with potentially more Guardians in the next game it won't perfectly match the 4 face buttons for 4 team mates. I'd much prefer to control each team mate.

Lots to like, lots to dislike, but a worthwhile experience all considered, but I won't ever be going back either.

P.S. You weren't the only one to fall asleep

Edited on by themightyant

themightyant

Krzzystuff

@themightyant if i combine the story with the game I'd likely have a 7.5 but yeah.... it was a bit of a let down. When I'm playing a game i want to play. If i wanted to watch a movie i would have started a movie vs a game. I'll have to play something else before starting LiS because i don't think i can play that after this. Need a palate cleanse and wrapping up Halo Infinite campaign sounds about right.

Krzzystuff

Xbox Gamertag: Krzzystuff

KilloWertz

@themightyant @Krzzystuff This isn't meant to start an argument because obviously people are entitled to their opinion, but I also can't really sugarcoat it either. Do you two not like any games with stories? I'll give you the gameplay as I felt it was merely ok, but the storytelling was great. If you had a problem with how much story they told in the game, then I'm not sure how you play many games.

Like I said, not looking to argue, but I'm genuinely confused on how the storytelling in Guardians was a criticism if you like playing single player games beyond short games.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

themightyant

@KilloWertz I'm a little confused by your comment. Both @Krzzystuff and I really liked the story or plot, writing and characters. He gave the story 9/10 I put writing and characters as the #1 things I liked in this game. So I'm a little puzzled by your comment, could you elaborate? Would love to get into it and hear your thoughts.

For my part I LOVE stories in games. My go to genres are typically single player campaigns, action adventures, RPGs, Metroidvanias, Indies, etc. most of which all have stories, it's ONE of my favourite aspects in gaming, I even like walking simulators. However for a game like this to be really good to me the gameplay usually has to be at least passable. In GOTG I thought the exploration was very generic and the combat truly dire, it literally sent me to sleep on more than one occasion. Yet I still liked the game despite that and gave it a reasonable 7.5 precisely because I liked the writing, acting and characters so much.

I thought the overarching story itself was pretty run of the mill, put succinctly "A group of diverse misfits come together to save the galaxy through teamwork and friendship", it's been told before many times before. But I thought the plot, the individual way they went from A to B was great and the writing and acting of the characters was exceptional. It really gave a connection with the characters. As I mentioned in my review I loved it when they incorporated that into the game, matching the gameplay to the story.

Edited on by themightyant

themightyant

lookupmore

I finished the first chapter of True Colors a couple of nights ago. A bit into Ch.2 now.
So far I’m enjoying it. The voice acting is good, the music is great and the setting is beautiful. Although I had a weird bug at the start of the second chapter where a lot of ye props and chapter models hadn’t loaded with with colour an where grey checker-board which took away from the emotional impact of the story at that point
A like the option to sit somewhere and let the music play.
Looking forward to playing more but I’m travelling for a few days so won’t get much chance.

lookupmore

Xbox Gamertag: lookupmore

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic