Microsoft Apologises for "Always Online" Comments

"Views do not reflect customer centric approach"

As we reported yesterday, Microsoft Studios' Creative Director Adam Orth had a few things to say about the connection requirements for the next generation Xbox, via his Twitter account.

Well while many people have taken that to mean that the next generation machine will require a constant internet connection in order to play games or even start up, Microsoft have set the status back to "all bets are off" as they've issued an outright apology for the statements that were made.

As reported via Major Nelson's blog, Microsoft said:-

We apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers. We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter.

So, where are we now?

Well, we're in the same spot that we were in a few days ago. The next-generation Xbox may require an internet connection, but it may not. Nothing is confirmed at this point, and we're looking forward to a possible event later in the month that may shed some light on the new machine. Failing that, E3 is right around the corner...

[via majornelson.com]

Customer centric and MS... LOL. I love when any giant corporation acts like it gives a damn about the consumer, we know it doesn't, some do a better job trying to pretend though like Sony has lately. MS had to do this, PR 101 but I would've been fine if they just kept quiet until they're ready to address the real issue here. Will the next Xbox require an internet connection or not? I want to be able to make up my mind which system I'm getting first (and possibly if I'm getting the next Xbox at all) very soon but I can't until MS opens up and gives us some real information about its plans.

astroshamu

astroshamu said:

If they make it always online, I feel like thats the end of xbox, hope they dont dig their own grave

It wouldn't be the end of Xbox but it certainly would give Sony a huge advantage.

hamispink

hamispink said:

The fact that they still haven't denied the console being always online is disheartening to me. I read this statement as when they announce the console having always online drm, they will "communicate directly" why that isn't a bad thing.

Nothing is confirmed yet, but I feel that all signs point to yes at this point.

@VincentV

Yeah, it would be a major issue. I don't want to drop $400 plus on a machine that is useless if servers are having problems. Nothing is confirmed yet but like most others, I'm getting a bad feeling about this, if the rumors weren't true there's no reason to let them continue.

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

me and a friend was talking about this last night and i had a thought (rare for me i know) but what if they did all this on purpose, just hear me out ok

they release the news that the next xbox will require a always on internet connection to play games and then they have a person defend this statement, then they look at the feedback the consumers [that's us] give to see if it is indeed a viable option to put this feature into the next xbox, you know using us to see if it would work without telling us they are so we give a honest response

I guees that's a possible scenario but highly unlikely. It just creates bad press. If MS is trying to get a response from the public there are far better ways to do that than having an employee go out of his way to insult consumers. If this is MS' strategy, the company is run by bigger a-holes than I thought.