Update (Fri 16th Dec, 2022): This Xbox Winter Demo event was originally supposed to end on December 12th, but has now been extended a couple more weeks until December 31st. Enjoy!
Here's what the [email protected] team had to say about the extension earlier this week:
"Have you been able to check out all 22 amazing game demos yet? If not – then we’ve got awesome news for you! Since these demos are so popular we’re extending the event out through December 31. What a perfect way to spend your holiday vacation with family and friends. "
"Also starting on December 20, you’ll be able to find and access these demos on your Xbox dashboard in a special event collection. From our family here at Xbox to yours, have a Happy Holiday and wonderful New Year!"
Original story (Tue 6th Dec, 2022): The [email protected] Winter Demo Event 2022 has kicked off, allowing you to try a variety of upcoming Xbox indie games for free over the next week, with the demos being made available until December 12th.
The vast majority of these demos should be accessible via the Xbox dashboard on your console, although if they're not showing up, you may have to navigate to the "demos" section of the Xbox Store or search for them manually.
"Keep in mind that most of these demos are an early look at gameplay and may not represent the full game at their release, including the availability in each country as developers continue to update and refine their title ahead of launch."
- Aaero2: "Aaero2 is a sequel to the critically acclaimed musical rail shooter Aaero from two-man studio Mad Fellows (Paul and Dan’s previous work includes Guitar Hero, DJ Hero, and many more)."
- Afterglitch: "Afterglitch is an experimental third-person exploration sci-fi video game. The player is an astronaut whose multidimensional journey to find an extraterrestrial civilization is more important than the destination!"
- Astronite: "Take control of the brave explorer Astronite in this 1bit metroidvania and explore a huge map with different zones full of hidden secrets."
- BattleCakes: "Indulge in a delicious adventure as you choose to battle or befriend your enemies to save the day your way! Personalize your cupcake hero and meet charming friends along the way."
- Booom-Slang!: "Get ready for Top-down, Twin-Stick Shooting chaos, fusing a stylized low-poly art style with crazy FMV footage to create a unique and striking visual blend."
- Boxville: "Boxville is 2-in-1: an animated film and a puzzle game. An adventure and puzzle game, with more than 300 hours of artists’ time spent on every scene."
- Clash: Artifacts of Chaos: "Hunted by mercenaries of an enemy with untold power, the fighter Pseudo and the creature under his protection begin a perilous quest to the edges of strange lands."
- Dad’s Monster House: "Dad's Monster House is a hand-drawn puzzle game featuring horror and fantasy. It tells the story of Carlos' journey after he receives a distress call from his father, pleading for him to return to his old home and rescue his dad."
- Dead Pets Unleashed: "Playing as Gordy, you’ll go to band practice, do what you can to keep the band together, manage Gordy’s irresponsible finances and wellbeing, as well find time to earn enough money to cover rent, bills, and pretty much everything."
- Exhausted Man: "Play as an ordinary person who is exhausted but refuses to sleep, complete everyday challenges, and earn a better life."
- Gori Cuddly Carnage: "Want to slice creepy toys? Want to dice mutated unicorns? Want to play as a murder-kitty on a death-dealing hoverboard? Great news!"
- Inkulinati: "Inkulinati is an ink-based strategy game straight from medieval manuscripts, where a rabbit’s bum can be deadlier than a dog's sword."
- JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure All-Star Battle R: "Hirohiko Araki's masterpiece, brought to life as a fighting game! Battle with 50 colorful characters, wielding Stands, Hamon, and more!"
- King of the Hat: "A 2D party platformer where you fight with a hat! Throw your hat to attack, defend and bait opponents. But watch out! If someone jumps on your hat... you die!"
- Let’s Cook Together 2: "Embark on a gripping cooperative journey to save the planet and its food from the regime of Nutri Inc. – a powerful group of zero waste maniacs seeking to turn life on Earth into a tasteless dystopia."
- RE:CALL: "In RE:CALL you play through the memories of the character you're controlling. Your actions inside these flashbacks have immediate consequences in the present moment..."
- Rhythm Sprout: "Every music track goes together with a unique 3D environment designed around its theme and story. Keep an eye out for little events and easter eggs throughout the levels!"
- The Wind Road: "The Wind Road" is an ARPG real-time combat game, constructing a martial-arts world based on the ancient Silk Road under the background of a fictional era."
- Thirsty Suitors: "From Outerloop Games, Thirsty Suitors is a stylish, story-driven adventure that unfolds through turn-based battles, skateboarding, and cooking."
- Tin Hearts: "From members of the team that brought you Fable, comes Tin Hearts – an immersive puzzle adventure game wrapped in a powerful tale of love and compromise."
- Trinity Fusion: "Take control of your parallel selves on a mission to save the dying multiverse. Explore dark, sci-fi worlds and engage in fast-paced, smooth and precise combat."
- Virgo Versus the Zodiac: "Virgo Versus the Zodiac is a sci-fi/fantasy JRPG inspired by the Mario & Luigi RPG series and the Mother RPG series in which you play as an obsessed villain."
- Wave Break: "Wave Break is the world's first skateBOATING game, inspired by arcade skateboarding classics. Grind, grab, kickflip and shoot your way through an explosive 80s crime-filled Miami Vice themed world."
Will you be trying any of these free Xbox demos during December? Let us know down below.
Please note that some external links on this page are affiliate links, which means if you click them and make a purchase we may receive a small percentage of the sale. Please read our FTC Disclosure for more information.