The Farm 51 and All In! Games have dropped a rather tasty trailer showing off the free next-gen upgrade for their atmospheric survival horror roguelike, Chernobylite.
The game, which originally launched on Xbox One back in September of last year, now features two distinct graphical options which give players the following choices:
- Performance: 1080p resolution, 60 FPS, higher graphics quality
- Resolution: Dynamic 4K resolution, 30 FPS, ray-tracing for Series X and 1440p on Series S; both with richer shadow, environment details and texture quality
Alongside all of these new bells and whistles, the new update also brings improved loading times and more stability to performance in general.
We're currently busy getting to grips with Chernobylite's unsettling mysteries for a next-gen review, which should be with you in the next couple of days, and so far we've been impressed with its meticulous 3D-scanned recreation of the Chernobyl exclusion zone. This is a game with a ton of atmosphere and detail and a properly creepy sci-fi narrative that's keeping us fully engaged thus far.
In our brief time spent with this updated version we've also already noticed a nice step-up in general performance over its last-gen counterpart with regards to graphical fidelity, smoothness of movement, weapon responsiveness and those all-important loading times, which have definitely been whittled down a considerable amount. Things are certainly looking positive so far then and the game's devs have already spoken, in a recent interview with Gamesradar, about the exceptional amount of work that's been put into getting this one ship-shape and up to speed for the current generation of consoles.
Of course, this free next-gen overhaul is just the beginning of The Farm 51's plans for the game in 2022, with four big content drops planned over the coming months, including a bunch of brand new story content, events, activities and weapons. If you've been holding out on this one, it seems now is a good time to jump in and get busy exploring its irradiated wastes.
We'll leave you with a few more official details from the devs and a bunch of next-gen screenshots:
- Stealth, Survival, & Combat – Survival in the Zone is not easy, and each day brings new challenges as your comrades die and supplies diminish. Avoid detection with stealth takedowns or engage in open armed combat. Danger lurks around every corner.
- Base Building & Crafting – Construct a base from which to plan your daily operations and excursions. Utilize workstations to craft gadgets, traps, and weapons, or modify existing equipment to your needs.
- Resource & Team Management – Companions are key to your survival and the resolution of your journey. Each day requires careful planning and assignment of resources and tasks to your comrades.
- Non-Linear Storytelling & Strategy – No playthrough is the same. The choices and story are in your hands. Choose wisely whether to trust your comrades or not, use resources for survival or research, and to face conflicts or avoid them. The future is up to you.
Are you planning on making a trip to Chernobylite's upgraded exclusion zone? Let us know in the comments.