Talking Point: What Games Are You Playing This Weekend? - Issue Twenty One

Posted by Dave Letcavage

Weekdays? We're so oooover those!

Welcome to What Games Are You Playing This Weekend, also known by the uber-popular acronym WGAYPTW. This is a laid-back feature that allows us to share our upcoming weekend gaming plans with all of you. By providing a little window into our personal lives, you can learn what makes us tick as gamers and learn which writer's gaming tastes may align with yours. But it doesn’t only work one way. Once you’ve read through the words we’ve prepared, we’d love if you would head to the comments and tell us about your weekend agenda, as well. Trust us, it's the right thing to do.

With the introduction out of the way, it's time to get this party started.

Ken Barnes (@SuperKMx)

Titanfall — Recently picked this up again thanks to some of Team pX having regular-ish Titanfall matches, and found that I'm still pretty terrible at it. I need practice, as well as some skill or natural talent or whatever the heck else it is that prevents you from being picked off easily because you've dropped the controller in your coffee like I did at least twice this past Tuesday.

International Superstar Soccer Deluxe (SNES) — During the one free period of time that I had that lasted more than three minutes this week, I stumbled across a video about the history of football games. It reminded me that when I was about 13, I promised myself that I would beat all of the challenges that the super-sweet ISS Deluxe provided. I never did. Time to fix that, I reckon.

WWF: No Mercy (Nintendo 64) — I used to be a huge fan of "sports entertainment" back when I was a nipper, and having finally managed to beat the arcade version of WWF Wrestlefest this week - and on a single credit, thank you very much - I thought I'd give this classic a bit of a dusting off. Doubtless, I'll find myself getting thrown off ladders by Edge and Christian, smashed in the head with chairs by Mankind, and being checked into the Smackdown Hotel by The Rock. Given that I can barely remember the controls, I'll probably be bested by Prince Albert. But what I do remember suggests that it'll be good fun. I'll be playing in order to pen a retro review for Nintendo Life, so look out for that.

Dave Letcavage (@DRL)

I downloaded Rogue Legacy on my Vita this week, and I've already been losing hours upon hours to it. I was skeptical about whether or not I'd be warm to the rogue-like structure, but that concern is a thing of the past — it helps make the game so dangerously addicting. I'm actually playing through the adventure at a very leisurely pace, trying to earn as much money as possible to level up and buy new gear before advancing beyond the castle. I'll be pressing forth very soon, though, since I'm thirsting for another boss battle. If anyone has any suggestions regarding the order I should tackle the bosses, please, do share.

I was planning to spend much time with Pinball FX2 on Xbox One this weekend, but since the release date has been pushed until later this month — thankfully for positive reasons — I'll have to find replacement entertainment. In comes Games With Gold. I've been waiting for Crimson Dragon to soar at a lower price point since I bought my console, and it seems I'm finally getting my wish. While I'm frothing at the mouth for The Swapper to release, I'll probably spend more time with Vessel on PS3. It was part of July's PS+ lineup, and I'm glad I gave it a chance. It's not great, but the puzzle action can make for good fun.

Eric Santana (@EricDS)

Because there aren't many new releases throughout the summer, I tend to revisit some of my favorites when looking to game. If you know me personally, you know that the Kingdom Hearts series is one I hold near and dear. Sure, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix is a mouthful, but, quite honestly, it's my guilty pleasure. A Square RPG with Disney characters? That's my happy place. This version is the Final Mix, which was a Japanese exclusive until the remake, so it's awesome that I'm doing new things in a 12 year old game.

The other game that I've restarted is Fire Emblem: Awakening for the 3DS. It's still weird to think that I can download DLC for my 3DS, but new scenarios and missions have been added, so I'll jump back in and begin another adventure with Chrom and company. The game has a fantastic world and great characters who, for the most part, can all be used in battle — which is a big plus. It's a great on-the-road game too, as you can pause or save during your fights.

Since Shovel Knight was gifted to me, I've promised to give it a try. It looks like an 8-bit classic, but has some crazy mechanics and cool powers. You are a Knight with a shovel, so it already has started off on the right foot for me. My platforming skills are going to be put to the test, but Rouge Legacy has brought back that confidence I once had.

Anthony Cadogan (@Ubiquitous_Doom)

Titanfall (Xbox One) — Now that the Destiny Beta has ended (I'm trying not to cry) and Titanfall has just received some new map DLC along with the Black Market update, I'll be going back to that as my main game until something else catches my attention — which will probably be Destiny in September. I'm excited to play the new maps from Respawn, as I caught a glimpse of them during Twitch Livestream a week ago. I'm interested and very hopeful for another set of great maps. One of the cool things this update adds is the ability to trade-in your Burn Cards for currency that has, thankfully, nothing to do with micro-transactions! Now a player can buy a pack of cards with a larger chance to receive something they like and would use. I can't wait to try everything the update has to offer!

Josephine Johnson (@MegaKILLScreen)

This weekend I will be playing real life games as it is time for GISHWHES and I'll be performing random acts for the next seven days! When I'm not building dinosaurs from sanitary products, going to prom with a car in a tuxedo or driving a school bus into a live volcano, I will most likely be playing the newly opened second wing in Hearthstone: Curse of Naxxramus on iPad.

I also have the 'Reign of Giants' expansion for Don't Starve on the PS4 so I'd like to get to grips with some of the new recipes and raw materials (and ways to die obviously). I really can't get enough of this title, thanks to Ken for the recommendation! That's probably all for me this week due to my social commitments and the, frankly unacceptable, lack of Diablo 3 on the Xbox One .

So you made it this far, huh? That means it's your turn! What games are YOU playing this weekend? Share your plans with us in the comments.

heyzeus002

heyzeus002 said:

Will be continuing the last of us on ps4. I must say the graphics to me look the same as on the ps3 and reading a naughty dog interview last night he was about to say in one of his responses that you cant tell any real difference unless both are running side by side before he stopped himself from finishing the sentence. Good job its a great game then, I was just expecting a little more I think. Will also give strike suit zero a go if its available on games for gold in europe. Bit of mk8 and nights into dreams will round things out gor me. Happy gaming people

I should also mention that I started Max: Curse of Brotherhood last night, so I'll be attempting to round that one out by weekend's end. Additionally, I will be booting the X360 to play the Guardians of the Galaxy table for Pinball FX2. I was hoping to wait until the Xbox One version launched, but there's no way I'll be able to do that — the table is just too much fun! Anyone else give it a download?

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

I just started Battlefield 4 last night, so ill be playing the single player campaign over the long weekend. Just finished RYSE son of rome, and to be honest i was very impressed by it. i wish it was longer, but hey when you get the game for $20 you can't go to wrong. Target Canada had it on sale during there 1 year Canada anniversary.

@Emanouel I also enjoyed Ryse. It wasn't quite great, but it was a solid game. Perfect for a weekend playthrough.

Ryse Son of Rome (One) will be playing multiplayer in the colliseum! Love this game, but agree, it was way too short :-(

Dead Rising 3 (One) Kinda went away from this one to play other games, so I plan to restart the game and play through it finally, that or play...

Watch Dogs (One) I'm not sure which game to play yet, but I just bought this online and can't wait to jump into this one too!

WINGNUT

WINGNUT said:

Titanfall on the new maps will take up the vast majority of the weekend,still loving that game! Also some Crimson Dragon. 😃

Dohv

Dohv said:

Wolfenstein The New Order (Xbone)- I'm stuck on the final boss fight with General Deathshead and he won't die ! I keep getting destroyed by him.

MLB 14 The Show (PS4)- Just got pass the trade deadline so I'm about half way finished with my season. Trying to get it finished before school starts in 16 days unfortunately.

Pichuka97

Pichuka97 said:

I just picked up Rygar for NES and it is a blast. Also a bit of MW3 with my friend as we are getting into that game again.

MLB 14 The Show (PS4), as always and The Last of Us Remastered. I've already played TLoU on PS3 though so most of my time will be taken up by The Show, which I'm addicted to like happens every year when a new entry in that series is released.

@EricDS I booted it up for the first time tonight and wasn't all that impressed — only played for about 30 mins, though. Aiming/movement felt too jerky and clumsy, and with unclear paths through the environments, it's really hard to anticipate the boundaries of flight. I'll give it another chance soon, but I'm a bit let down as of now.

WINGNUT

WINGNUT said:

@EricDS it's old school on rails shooter,not as good as Panzer Dragoon from back on Saturn,but once you get used to the controls it's not too bad. Also it's free as part of the games for gold 😄

WINGNUT

WINGNUT said:

@DRL yh dragon movement is a bit mad,I tend to just barrel roll around most of the levels,using the on rail system. it's better with a wingman too.

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

@DRL,

For $20 Ryse is a great deal. now if i paid $60-70 i wouldn't have been that impressed. The game is very very repetitive and can boring near the end.

Nothing still beats Dead Rising 3 as the Best Next Gen only game.

mitcHELLspawn

mitcHELLspawn said:

@heyzeus002 are you serious? What kind of tv are you playing the last of us remastered if you don't mind me asking? I'm playing it on my 75 inch samsung smart TV, and I've gotta say it's a huge difference. The 60 fps made the biggest difference for me. It looks absolutely gorgeous.. which is crazy because the ps3 version was beautiful as well.

mitcHELLspawn

mitcHELLspawn said:

So yeah I'm just about to beat the last of us remastered. I beat the game when it first came out on ps3 and then didn't touch it again because it was such an amazing experience and I knew it wouldn't be the same the second time around... but now that it's been about a year since then, playing it again has been just as enjoyable. I'm also very excited to play the left behind dlc once I'm done.

After that I'll be finally finishing some games I've left unbeaten like wolfenstein, murdered soul suspect and finally valiant hearts... once that's all finished I'll download this month's 2 free games that I've yet to try ! Love having so much games to play!! Hope I'm all finished by the time Diablo comes out on the 19th though. I've never played a Diablo game before so I'm pretty excited to check it out.

mitcHELLspawn

mitcHELLspawn said:

@Emanouel yeah dead rising 3 was pretty good I must say. It took me a while to actually get into it but once I did, I had a blast. I don't know if is better than infamous second son though.

mitcHELLspawn

mitcHELLspawn said:

@DRL have you played it on ps3? It really is an amazing experience. My Xbox 360 and Xbox one are my goto consoles that I play all my multiplatform games on, but I've had every Playstation since the original and I really love them as well. I could never not own one because I just love the Playstation exclusives too much.

@mitcHELLspawn Yeah, I own it for PS3 — such an incredible game! I've also owned every Sony console (including handhelds), but haven't had the extra money to sink into a PS4 just yet. Plus, to be honest, there hasn't quite been a system-seller to make me feel like I NEED it right now. Resogun, Infamous, and TLoU have been tempting, but I can wait on those. No Man's Sky, however...if I don't have a PS4 by then, that'll likely be what puts one in my living room.

mitcHELLspawn

mitcHELLspawn said:

@DRL yeah I agree, I haven't been too impressed with Sonys first party releases thus far. I am glad I bought a ps4 when I did though because I live in Canada and they put the price up to 450 recently so I saved 50 bucks. I had a little fun with kill zone, and I enjoyed infamous but besides that all I've really used my ps4 for is the free indie games I've been getting every month through ps+.. but yeah I'm really glad I bought tlou again because I've been having a really great time playing it and can't wait to play left behind dlc

@mitcHELLspawn Right on. I can totally understand that. I play my Vita like mad lately, but it's mostly PS+ and indies. If I did get a PS4 anytime soon, I'd probably use it mostly for cross-buy games and Vita connectivity. And I never did get around to playing the TLoU DLC, so that will also be a nice bonus for me when I buy Remastered.

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

@mitcHELLspawn, I have yet to play the DLC for dead rising 3, ill be purchasing them later on. ill wait on a sale for them as its around $ 40 for all of them. and i don't know how much hours of game play they each have.

I had a ps4 before i sold it to get a xbox one. I was a Huge fan of infamous 1 2 and the vampire dlc expansion. but the last son i didn't like. i got bored of it once i gained the new neon powers, it was forced after that and i didn't like those abilities. Once i played Dead Rising 3 its quite hard for me to play another sandbox game. I have pre ordered GTA 5 and I'm not sure if ill enjoy it as Dead Rising 3 set the bar quite high.

I had online co-op for the entire story mode which i don't think GTA or even assassins creed does.

I had assassin creed 4, but i got bored of the forced ship battles and stopped playing the game after 4-5 hours.

heyzeus002

heyzeus002 said:

@mitcHELLspawn I used the same tv I used for the ps3 version.my tv aint a beast like yours but when soneone from naughty dog itself says in an interview you cant really tell the difference between the two unless you have them running side by side then I think that tells you all you need to know.dont get me wrong, I think it looks great and its a great game but the jump is not as much as I thought it would be. Im not even going to start on the fps due to how little actual difference it makes in terms of the type of game that it is

mitcHELLspawn

mitcHELLspawn said:

@heyzeus002 wow.. you really either have terrible eye sight or have no idea what you're talking about. Play it on 60 fps and then go into the menu and switch it to lock at 30 fps... if you can't see an absolute HUGE difference there is something wrong. As for this interview you're talking about do u have any link? Because everything I've seen from naughty dog is them praising how much better this version looks compared to ps3. Lol I can't believe you said that 60 fps doesn't make a difference on this type of game. Mind blown.

heyzeus002

heyzeus002 said:

@DRL don't worry, you'll soon forget when you start playing sunset overdrive and halo collection;) to be honest, at the moment it's quite difficult to choose between the xb1 and ps4. The top tier games are multiplat and the xb1probably just edges it in terms of exclusives but as someone who owns both, I can honestly say I wouldn't be missing either 1 if I just had 1 or the other. Of course I had to buy both to realise this myself but I am afflicted with early adopter syndrome

heyzeus002

heyzeus002 said:

@mitcHELLspawn a game developer praising their own game?!? Say it ain't so..the graphical upgrade is the primary selling point of it so OF COURSE ND are going to talk up that aspect of it, come on. I don't claim to know anything about that kind of thing so maybe I don't know what on earth im talking about or maybe it is my eyes im not sure. Or maybe im not overly fussy about such things and find it harder to notice, I dont really know or care as long as the actual gameplay and mechanics are good, that is what I get fussy about

heyzeus002

heyzeus002 said:

@mitcHELLspawn in the interview he technically doesn't say it because he didn't finish the sentence but it's very obvious that that was what he was about to say before he stops himself.interview can be found on 'metro gamecentral'.hit it up on google, should be near the top as it is a recently published article

heyzeus002

heyzeus002 said:

@mitcHELLspawn as for the mind blown thing, seriously?! You remind me of the bit war warriors back in the day. Just because the gaming media tells you its 60 fps or bust doesnt necessarily make it so.a steady 30 fps can also be fit for purpose. Personally, im just interested in quality games like the last of us whether its 30 or 60 fps, the game is still quality.

mitcHELLspawn

mitcHELLspawn said:

Sorry.. gaming media? Are you for real? Lol... I don't need anyone to tell me anything, it's staring me right in the face. For the love of god dude go play your game right now for a bit then goto options and switch it to lock at 30 fps... If you honestly tell me you don't see a massive change, you most definitely need glasses.

mitcHELLspawn

mitcHELLspawn said:

@heyzeus002 I'm not trying to be a dick here man I'm just saying.. seriously do what I said next time you play. I literally couldn't play it locked at 30 after playing on 60 now. It runs so much smoother. Not only that the textures are definitely ramped up quite a bit and Joel especially looks much better. I've been having a lot of fun with the photo mode, I've gotten some pretty awesome pictures, it's great having all those tools to play with.

heyzeus002

heyzeus002 said:

@mitcHELLspawn no offence taken dude dont worry, this is civil when it comes to videogame discussions! Tried what you said and yeah its a serious difference but for me in a non twitch game like this its not the be all and end all. Just to be clear, I wasnt saying the ps4 version isnt graphically better, my initial point was that it wasnt as big a jump as I thought it would be thats all in terms of texture detail and whatnot.im sure you are right in that theyve boosted detail but I thought it would be more pronounced so maybe my expectations may have been too high or maybe im remembering the ps3 version with rose tinted glasses, I dont know. Finally, apologies for any offence I may have caused you during this, not intended that way

mitcHELLspawn

mitcHELLspawn said:

Ohh yeah I fully agree what you mean it not being a twitch shooter it's not as important.. I actually didn't ever really care what fps games were in or resolution to be honest, I just love games.. but seeing at how fluid the 60 fps can make the game feel I'm definitely a believer now.. but that being said if games come out on Xbox one or ps4 that aren't 1080p or 60 fps I really don't care especially if it's a game I'm excited about. But yeah when buying a game for the second time you would hope the remastered version would look extremely better especially since they didn't change any game play... and for the most part I think they did a good job.. obviously like you said it could always be better. I'm sure the next uncharted game is going to look insane.

heyzeus002

heyzeus002 said:

@mitcHELLspawn maybe ive just been underwhelmed with this new gen as a whole, I dont know, I just expected a bit more tbh especially as its naughty dog who have shown great expertise in using hardware to a good level.i think im still burned out from all the resolutiongate stuff at the start of this gen. All the time I couldnt help thinking does no one care what the actual gameplay is like?! Agreed about uncharted 4, that should be an envelope pusher.although it will probably still be stationery; )

@DRL

Eh, really nothing to be jealous over, especially if you've already played the game on PS3. Being 100% honest, I'm struggling to see the difference in graphics. I noticed it right away in Tomb Raider Definitive Edition and even in MLB 14 The Show when I played the game on a friend's PS3 recently I could see the PS4 version is a step up. In TLoU, I'm just not really seeing a massive difference. Still a great game, but if you already played I wouldn't say run out and buy a PS4 for it. Now, when Uncharted 4: A Thief's End comes out...

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@DRL

I am not jealous of the people playing TLOU right now, but of the ones who are playing it on PS4 for the first time. But I have Wind Waker HD and I never played it on Gamecube, so that is something, I guess.

This weekend I will most likely spend some time clearing backlogs. Played 25 levels of Cloudberry Kingdom just to realize the game does not save itself so I lost all that. It is getting unplayable and I am just in Chapter 2 so I doubt I will be coming back.

Played some Abyss on Wii U too. Maybe I will go back to Guacamelee to get more hidden goodies.

TasukiStaff

Well mostly played World of Warcraft on the PC this weekend but I did get together with a buddy Saturday night for a few hours of Left 4 Dead 2. Also managed to get in a few games of NBA2k14 with my son on the PS4 and a few minutes of Mega Man 3 on the 3DS.

@heyzeus002 @Emanouel @hydeks @WINGNUT @Dohv @Pichuka97 @Gamer83 @mitcHELLspawn @sinalefa @Tasuki

I just want to take a minute to thank everyone for participating in WGAYPTW every week. I've been having a blast chatting with all of you about your gaming agendas, and I'm happy to see that this feature is becoming a regular draw for the site. So, seriously, thank you! Don't ever think your presence isn't appreciate, because it most certainly is.

Same time next week, mates? Do we have ourselves a date? :)

WINGNUT

WINGNUT said:

Of course 😊 especially enjoyed reading the discussion on TLOU 😜 played it on PS3 and it's amazing, will play it on my PS4 when I get one for uncharted 4 😁 great site btw, carry on with the great work guys 👍

EricDS

EricDS said:

@WINGNUT Thanks dude that means a lot. Ken and Dave do some hard work and it is great getting to know everyone in the comments.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@DRL

And I wanted to thank you and the rest of the PX gang for being so consistent with this feature. Never saw it again in either PS or NL, it is nice to share our interests. Count me in every week!

Dohv

Dohv said:

@DRL You're welcome I love WGAYPTW. It's a great way to see what everyone's playing and learn about cool games you've never even heard of. I'm glad you guys do it every week unlike Pushsquare who only does it every other week.

HEADESTROYER4Staff

HEADESTROYER4 said:

Still hammering away at GUACAMELEE:STCE!

Thank you D-Pad, without you I would be lost.

Anyone else trying to take down this goliath metroidvania this weekend?

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@Dohv

Yeah, I guess they are too busy with TLOU and Destiny to play something else :p But seriously, I like this feature and would like to see it back in the other sites. It has been awhile now.

TasukiStaff

@DRL Absolutely man. I honestly look forward it every weekend. I know that Nintendolife and Pushsquare runs the article sometimes but you guys have it every week and its great. I like reading what everyone is playing over the weekend. Even if I don't comment elsewhere on the site I make sure to comment there even if I am a day late (sadly I usually work on the weekends).