EA Announces New Subscription Service That's Exclusive to Xbox One

Posted by Wayne Davies

EA's version of Games With Gold?

EA has revealed EA Access, a subscription-based service exclusively for Xbox One that will grant players access to a collection of EA titles in "The Vault."

Announced via EA's official blog, EA Access will cost £3.99 per month or £19.99 for a year's membership, and it will allow subscribers to play Battlefield 4, FIFA 14, Madden NFL 25 and Peggle 2 at launch, with "more titles being added soon."

"We have partnered with Microsoft to deliver EA Access, an all-new monthly (or annual) membership for gamers exclusively on Xbox One that starts at just £3.99 a month. The service is being rolled out in beta to a limited number of players today, but it will launch for everyone on Xbox One soon."

Subscribing to the service will also give users extra bonuses, including 10 percent discounts on all EA digital content (full games and DLC), as well as "First Play" trials of new EA titles a week before release. Games currently listed as part of the early access trial are Dragon Age: Inquisition, Madden NFL 15, NHL 15, FIFA 15 and NBA Live 15. It is reported that save data from these sessions with transfer over to the full game.

No official launch date has been given for the service, but considering Dragon Age: Inquisition releases on November 18th and it's on the early access list, it's safe to assume that EA Access will be live by the end of October.

[via ea.com]

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

thats not a bad deal paying $30 US for 1 year access to games, i hope they aren't streamed like ps now and instead digital downloads.

WayneDavies89Staff

WayneDavies89 said:

@TOMBOY25 We go with the information detailed in the blog, which in of itself seems conflicted, as it says the starting price is £3.99 and £4.99 a month.

AnthinatorStaff

Anthinator said:

@Emanouel The games won't be streamed, but downloaded to your HD. This is a pretty great move by EA. If the service will allow users to play recent games and not just old ones, then this could be a home run for them.

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

Thanks @Anthinator , I'm happy that we can download the games to the hard drive, a lot of people purchase sports games every other year to get better value. now for $30 a year thats a steal as 1 year old sports games go for $30US each. paying $ 30 a year makes a lot of sense for everyone. it won't make eb games / game stop happy.

The price for US / Canada is 4.99 monthly / $29.99 yearly via IGN.

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

Just a quick update. i got a email from microsoft to sign up for the service. I'm downloading a a few of the games to try out.

I could get behind this if EA keeps the right amount of games in the vault. If it's only a select few at a time and they're older games only, well, I won't be buying in. Keep a premium new release or two in the mix and I can easily justify the $5 a month.

EternalDragonX

EternalDragonX said:

Only EA game I bought over the past 5 years has been PVZ GW. I've heard terrible things about them from other games so I'm sceptical at best .

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

@Anthinator, so far things look great. i have downloaded fifa and madden overnight and got to 25% on battlefield.

Honestly this service pays for itself if you are into sports games, i would be purchasing games from ea every other year. now i can wait 6 months for them to be added to the vault.

I'm waiting to see if they add the latest need for speed.

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

I finally finished downloading all 4 games, they download just you like purchase them via the xbox digital store.

Its my first time playing any battlefield game, and I'm enjoying the single player story. The EA Access seems like a good service that sets the XBOX apart from the others.

Honestly this is what nintendo needs to do. Heck they can charge $ 10 monthly and people will pay it to play the retro games. I find there pricing to be very out dated. $ 5 for NES ? $ 8 for SNES $2.99-4.99 for Gameboy.

I'll eventually get a Wii-U down the road. The xbox one console is better then i originally thought. Im having a blast with it. I wish it only had more online co-op games. Atleast Diablo 3 is out at the end of august. Who else is looking forward to it

AnthinatorStaff

Anthinator said:

@Emanouel 100% agree with you on Nintendo. I really don't understand why Nintendo can't offer a "Nintendo Pass" as well — a monthly subscription to access all classic Nintendo games on WiiU and 3DS. That would be amazing!

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

@Anthinator, Trust me if Nintendo had a pass i would sign up first in line. I love my 3DS XL, i just find it hard to justify spending $ 5.00 on a NES when i can purchase a 360 or ps3 game for $ 10 and up. I grew up on NES and loved a lot of the games during the time.

So i guess you have a Wii-U and 3DS? hows Super Mario 3D World? I loved 3D Land so much that I've finished it twice at 100% complete. what a fresh mario game in a while, i didn't like new super mario 2 (Gold flower Edition) after finishing the game it felt like a drag to collect the other half million coins. Don't get me wrong i love the coin rush challenges, but they should of cost 0.99-1.49 each not 2.99.

Nintendo would be more profitable if they restructured they store pricing.

By the way i added you as a friend on xbox live, add me as well.

AnthinatorStaff

Anthinator said:

@Emanouel Super Mario 3D World is an absolute must play, especially if you loved 3D Land. It's an awesome single player experience but also a thrilling multiplayer one too. Whatever you do, don't pass this one up.

I too, grew tired of New Super Mario Bros 2. mostly because it was just too similar to the DS one.

I'm away from my Xbox One at the moment, but I'll add you as a friend as soon as I can.

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

@Anthinator, I can see 3D world being quite fun as its based on 3D land. I feel multiplayer will work better then the 2d mario games as you won't be bumping into each other as in the 2d games.

The nest feature of super mario bros 2 was the 2 player co-op, id wished they had online co -op as its quite hard to play a local game when my friends have different work schedules where online its easy to meet up at a given time.

I look forward to purchasing a Wii-U some time next year, I'm waiting for a metroid game, zelda game. Id love to see the rumoured Luigi Mansion GC port and ads port as well.

cool thanks for adding me. what games you currently playing online with xbox one?