Rocket League's 2.15 update is here and with it comes the return of voice chat. What a lovely surprise!
Yes, the option to chat, which was previously removed by developer Psyonix as they felt it wasn't up to modern standards, has finally been re-introduced to the arcade smash hit and will now be turned on by default.
A quick check of the official patch notes for the latest update shows that voice chat in the game supports cross-platform chatter and allows players to talk in Party Chat and Team Chat modes - you will not be able to talk to opposing team players, even though we know you'd only want to innocently and politely discuss game tactics!
Here's some more in-depth details about the returning voice chat options from the official notes:
- Voice Chat options are Party Chat and Team Chat. You cannot speak with opposing teams in Voice Chat
- When Voice Chat is enabled, you will see a Voice Channel tab (with a little headset icon) appear in your Friends List. You can join, leave or switch Voice Channels from this tab.
- When you join a team in a match, you will be placed into a Team Voice Channel
- When you join or form a party, you will be placed into a Party Voice Channel. This Channel shows everyone in your party that has Voice Chat enabled
- Voice Chat settings can be found by going to Settings -> Chat -> Voice Chat Settings
- Enable Voice Chat: Checked by default; uncheck the box to disable Voice Chat
- Push To Talk: Check this box to use an assigned key to enable your input device. You can change your binding under Settings -> Controls -> View/Change Bindings -> Scroll down to Voice Chat (Push To Talk)
- Preferred Voice Channel: Choose whether to default to Party Chat or Team Chat when both are available
- Main Menu Notifications: Displays names of speaking players while in the Main Menu
- Match Notifications: Displays names of speaking players while in a match
- Text Chat Notifications: Displays notifications in text chat when players leave or join Voice Chat
- You can adjust incoming Voice Chat volume under Settings -> Audio -> Voice Chat
Glad to see voice chat back in Rocket League for Season 6? Let us know in the comments!