Well this looks lovely, doesn't it? Rainbow Billy: The Curse of the Leviathan is a 2.5D RPG adventure that embodies the warm, fuzzy feeling of Saturday morning cartoons. It's scheduled to hit Xbox One, Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S on October 5.
Rainbow Billy is described as a "coming of age story" which sees players collecting creatures, solving puzzles and saving the world from the evil Leviathan who has banished the world of colour. It also seems to be dealing with some fairly complex themes - despite its colourful aesthetic - as the inhabitants of the world are riddled with anxiety and Billy must bring balance with empathy.
- Explore a World of Imagination: From dark caverns to remote islands on the stormy seas, discover a rich, wholesome world filled with treasure, friendship... and danger!
- Fantastic Adventure with Relatable Themes: Restore color to a monochrome world and help your friends be their true selves in a story about empathy, courage and friendship.
- Befriend & Collect Cute Creatures: Meet over 60 strange, lovable creatures and help them in non-violent encounters! Create your own unique team to save the day!
- Solve Intricate Color Puzzles: Each world is filled with clever challenges and secrets that unlock new areas to explore!
- Vibrant 2.5D Visual Style: Rainbow Billy’s art style blends the personality of modern 2D cartoon characters into an imaginative 3D world with an energetic soundtrack to match!
- Open Accessibility: We want Rainbow Billy to be playable by everyone so we’ve included many different accessibility features like color blindness support, a Dyslexia friendly font, Single Joystick controls and more!
- Fish for Resources: Because who doesn’t love a fishing mini-game?!
Given the busy upcoming slate of first-person shooters such as Far Cry 6 and Call of Duty: Vanguard, it's refreshing to see a game such as Rainbow Billy: The Curse of the Leviathan on the horizon over the next couple of weeks.
This year has been great for wholesome games aimed at a wider audience, with the absolutely fantastic Psychonauts 2 being a recent example. We love to see developers come up with quirky ideas such as this. It also shares a similar visual art style to the Xbox Game Pass title Dodgeball Academia, which we definitely approve of.
Interested in Rainbow Billy: The Curse of the Leviathan? Drop us a comment and let us know.