E3 2016: Xbox One S Has No Kinect Port, But Don't Worry

Don't worry, Kinect fans

Earlier on today, Microsoft announced that the Xbox One S will be launched in August.

Being 40% smaller and yet somehow containing on-board power, so you don't need that ugly external power brick anymore, you'd expect some things to have been cut. It seems that everything has survived, with the exception of the dedicated Kinect port.

As you can see from the shot of the rear of the console, you've got the HDMI In and Out, two USB ports (there's one on the front, too), the SPDIF, LAN port, figure-eight power connection, and that's it.

Well, not to worry. If you do want to connect a Kinect to the Xbox One S, Microsoft says that you'll need an external USB adapter. Before the alarm bells go off, they've also announced that there will be a program that offers the adapters for free to users who decide to upgrade from an older Xbox One.

You'll be able to take advantage of that here, when the offer opens.

We just thought we'd set the minds of the Xbox Fitness fans at rest.

Non-Kinect fans, Xbox Fitness is awesome. Don't front.

Sir420

Sir420 said:

So funny. I was pumped that the current Kinect didn't require an adapter like the original setup. The circle of life.

EternalDragonX

EternalDragonX said:

Damn they really are killing the device. Such a shame i really enjoyed using it as did my kids.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

I may sell my Kinect.

But, it was a Christmas gift from my bro. Eh...

stylon

stylon said:

It's a great looking little box (shame it's only in white) but not sure anyone would bother 'upgrading' to one of these when Scorpio is only 18 months away. Having said that it would make a good 2nd Xbox for the bedroom but I certainly wouldn't need (or want!) a Kinect in this scenario

narcoss

narcoss said:

Xbox one S yes I want that, but the price $299.99 yes I thoughts that'll i think at Christmas
Microsoft account Xbox one S £349.99!!!
Shame on you

VanillaLake

VanillaLake said:

Wii U does not even have an Ethernet port! Nintendo makes you pay for a separate Ethernet adapter, so I think it's nice that Microsoft is giving the adapter for free to those upgrading. To include the power unit and make the console 40% smaller is a great technical achievement already. Moreover, few people use Kinect 2.0, so it makes sense not to include additional hardware in the smaller version of the console.

@stylon The S main target are those on the fence, not the current Xbox One owners nor the geeks/hardcore players that are already anxious to buy the next generation devices.

crippyd

crippyd said:

This would also be a cheap way to get a 4K Blu ray drive as a stand alone player is currently around the £400 mark.