E3 2016: Gears of War 4 Comes With Complete Gears of War Collection

For a limited time

Gears of War 4 certainly rocked the house during Microsoft's E3 press conference yesterday, with an extended gameplay demo. Not only that, but there was confirmation that a limited edition controller would be released, and that the game would be an Xbox Play Anywhere title.

But, there was a little tidbit of information that the publisher didn't share.

It turns out that - much like with Gears of War: Ultimate Edition - if you purchase Gears of War 4, you'll get the complete Gears series for free via backward compatibility. So, that's Gears 1, 2, 3, and Judgment. That's a nice deal if you're missing any of the set, for sure. The offer is good for a "limited time" but there's no confirmation on how long it'll last. If you're picking up GoW4 on day one though, you're set for sure.

The information was confirmed by The Coalition's Rod Fergusson via Twitter:-

742758348689264640

Gears of War 4 launches October 11th on Xbox One and Windows 10. As an Xbox Play Anywhere title, if you buy it on one platform, you'll be able to download and play it on the other, carrying over your achievements and save progress. Niiiiiiiice.

Sponsored links by Taboola

From the web

Tasuki

Wait, I thought they already had a GoW 4 come out? Did I miss something?

VanillaLake

VanillaLake said:

The "1" that they are offering for free is the old one or the remake/remaster?

EDIT: After being a Nintendo fan all my life, now I realise that Microsoft is so generous compared to Nintendo...

Cyberbotv2

Cyberbotv2 said:

@VanillaLake : Yeah, I used to see you all the time on Nintendo Life. I bought an xbox one last year, and it's been the best console purchase I've made in a decade. They cater much more to the gamer. For that, I've pretty much moved on from Nintendo.

VanillaLake

VanillaLake said:

@Cyberbotv2 Glad that you remember me! I'm still on Nintendo Life and also on PushSquare (I bought a PS4 in 2014). I also bought an Xbox One (Elite) recently, thus becoming a multigamer this generation (for the first time). I agree with you about Xbox One, I feel that the company that has given me the most for my money this generation is Microsoft with the best lineup, deals and controller.

Tasuki

@VanillaLake I agree with ya MS is being very generous this gen, though I can't help feel that's due to the botched launch of the Xbox One. Part of me is wondering if they would have been this generous if they didn't lose so many 360 owners in the beginning to Sony. Then again I also wonder if it's due to Phil Spencer running things now instead of Mattrick.

VanillaLake

VanillaLake said:

@Tasuki Yeah probably both answers are right: Mattrick and faulty Xbox One launch, which are connected somehow. Still, Wii U sales have been worse than Xbox One with less than 13 millions and Nintendo is not being generous at all but rather stingy. Sony is doing good but I want more PS2 classics.