Talking Point: What Games Are You Playing This Weekend? - The 25th Issue

Posted by Dave Letcavage

Primed for pinball, professors, and pink...spaghetti arms?

Welcome to What Games Are You Playing This Weekend, also known by the uber-popular acronym WGAYPTW. This is a laid-back feature that allows us to share our upcoming weekend gaming plans with all of you. By providing a little window into our personal lives, you can learn what makes us tick as gamers and learn which writer's gaming tastes may align with yours. But it doesn’t only work one way. Once you’ve read through the words we’ve prepared, we’d love if you would head to the comments and tell us about your weekend agenda, as well. Trust us, it's the right thing to do.

With the introduction out of the way, it's time to get this party started.

Ken Barnes (@SuperKMx)

This weekend, I'll probably still be trying to decide whether I should just stick with my EA Access Vault copy of Madden NFL 25, or take the plunge and buy Madden NFL 15. Aside from that, I'll put in some time with the NHL 15 demo, and also with The Walking Dead table for Pinball FX 2, as well as trying to set some decent scores on the Vengeance and Virtue table pack that I just picked up this week. I'm feeling that I might have to fire up the always-excellent Resogun on PS4, given that the recent announcement of Geometry Wars 3 has peaked my interest in neon things, and finally....FINALLY....I'm going to start The Banner Saga on PC. I've only bought it about a billion years ago, and it always ends up at the bottom of my list. Not this weekend, though!

Dave Letcavage (@DRL)

This weekend, like the last, is going to be about finishing up the many games I've been slowly working through. That list consists of Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition, Strider, SteamWorld Dig on Wii U, and Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. I'm trying to wrap these up and get back to a clean slate before starting anything new. When it comes to review duties, my sights are locked on Pinball FX2's latest table, The Walking Dead. So far, I'm loving it. There are a couple frustrating aspects of its design — the kickers tend to fling the ball to the outlane — but outside of those it's a table that I think will satisfy skilled pinball players and fans of Telltale's The Walking Dead.

And lastly, after years of putting it off, I've finally gone ahead and purchased Shadow Complex thanks to this week's Deals With Gold offers. I don't plan to start it until I clear at least a couple games from my schedule, but you better believe I'm super eager to get my Metroidvania on.

Anthony Bacchus (@Anthinator)

This weekend, I'm tasked with reviewing Stick it to The Man after it quietly launched on Xbox One this week. I honestly don't know too much about the game going in except that many people agree that it's quite good and wildly funny. Based on what I have seen of the game, it looks to be another solid indie puzzle-platformer. Look for my review real soon.

My girlfriend loves 2D platformers and she picked up Rayman Legends on WiiU a while back at a steal of a price. We both cherished Rayman Origins and had a blast with it, so naturally, we're going to make some time this weekend and tackle it together. I've already played through a good chunk of it with friends on other consoles, but this will be the first time Murphy will be controlled by another person.

I'll be kicking' it old-school too this weekend. I've been thinking a lot about Chrono Trigger lately and the urge to relive it is simply too strong to ignore. I'm going to dust off the ol' Nintendo DS and give the game another spin. I've lost count how many times I've played through the game already and I'm sure I've purchased it across many different consoles and platforms. In case you were wondering, Chrono Trigger is in fact, my all-time favourite RPG. I often compare it to comfort food or seeing an old friend after many years apart. So yeah, it sounds like I'll have my weekend cut out for me then.

Anthony Cadogan (@Ubiquitous_Doom)

FIFA 14 (Xbox One) — I think the last FIFA game I owned was FIFA 2009 (it could have even been 2007, actually). Thanks to EA Access, I am able to lace up my boots and give the latest version a spin. I'm not really that big on football, but I do casually support Man United since most of my family do. Fun fact: my cousin used to play for Man United — after idolising them as a youngster — and currently manages Oxford United. I think you can appreciate the advancements for a game like this if you wait a few versions, as I'm certainly having lots of fun with it right now and plan to play it regularly for a while.

I will be playing more of the Pro mode where I have created an in-game version of myself-ish. I am playing for Manchester United as a striker but, despite being a top performer, I have been loaned to other teams twice — this makes me very sad. Why won't my parent (club) love me? David Moyes is a harsh father! There's also this Kinect thing where I get threatening emails from my manager about swearing and aggression, which doesn't seem to stop even though I am the best player in the league. Right now I have to use the Kinect for speech so it is a bit annoying. I shall earn Moyes love by getting Coventry City promoted and beating Manchester United senseless, and then he shall want me; then it will be "the beautiful game."

Justin Gieni (@Headestroyer4)

Before Destiny launches, and I get carpel tunnel to the point that I'm playing with my feet, there are a few things I’d like to complete. I'll be on a Metro Redux marathon, and since this is my first experience with the franchise, I'm planning on turning out the lights, turning up the volume, setting it to hardcore, and really letting my trigger finger fly. The other shooter I must finish before I'm all shot out is Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, which means I have a date with Miss Croft this weekend.

Because I'll be traveling on a couple long bus rides, my trusty 3DS shall of course be in hand for the majority of that time. Thorium Wars : Attack of the Skyfighter looks to be a fun new release this week and tugs at my old Star Fox affinity, so I'll take the helm and blow up everything in sight. Honourable mentions will go to Mario Golf : World Tour, and Pinball FX2 on the Captain America, Civil War, and Walking Dead tables. Have fun, everyone!

So you made it this far, huh? That means it's your turn! What games are YOU playing this weekend? Share your plans with us in the comments.

mitcHELLspawn

mitcHELLspawn said:

I'm loving metro redux !! This is the first time I've ever played the metro series and I'm super glad that I've waited this long because the redux is just great. I'm very close to beating 2033 and will be jumping straight into last light when I finish. I've also fallen in love with diablo. I think it's just great.. but I don't seem to like to play alone so I've been only jumping into that game when my friend is able to play. We're almost through act 2 and my guy is level 44 already it's great.

PS4 - MLB 14 The Show and inFamous: First Light.

And Madden 15 for the Xbox One, it's great being back on Xbox. :)

@mitcHELLspawn Stop it...stop making me want to buy Metro Redux IMMEDIATELY. ;)

Is there another shooter that you can compare the pacing/atmosphere of Metro to? I'm still concerned that it might be too survival-horror for me. Sometimes I'm a wimp.

mitcHELLspawn

mitcHELLspawn said:

@DRL oh man you know what from everything I've seen of the original metro 2033 it was much more of an atmospheric jumpy game than the redux.. the redux is so much more well lit so it's not so creepy, and you can change the settings to make it more survival horror or go spartan which makes it more like a wolfenstein the new order shooter. The story is great, the remastered graphics are incredible for a 2010 game I can't believe just how good.. but yeah resource management isn't even a worry if you play spartan so no worries there. It's got great weapons and customization as well. In my opinion it's an all around awesome shooter.
I'm yet to play last light so I can't give any details on that yet but I hear it's also quite good. Very well worth supporting the devs for this one they did an outstanding job and it's a great price as well 50 bucks for 2 full games plus all dlc. I say get it for sure lol

@mitcHELLspawn Thanks for the info — I'll probably pull the trigger soon. From what I've seen of Last Light, I think I'll prefer that to 2033, actually. But I'm happy to hear that there's an option to play the games more "casually." I think resource management is what worries me more than anything. That sense of fear when you're nearly helpless kicks my anxiety into full gear. Obviously that means it's serving its purpose; however, I don't like to endure those moments of intense stress. It's mentally taxing! Haha.

like last weekend, my time will be spent playing Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition (X1) until I go crossed eyed from lack of sleep :-P

mitcHELLspawn

mitcHELLspawn said:

@DRL haha yeah man I actually played 2033 on the normal mode and I was never once in need of anything I didn't have. Maybe it's my style of play but yeah I had no problem with resources at all. I'm really blown away looking at the original and this side by side. They really did a lot of work.

@hydeks I finished up my first playthrough last night! I was surprised by how lengthy the adventure was. Maybe it's because I was exploring everything I could and making sure that I uncovered every portion of the map. My only real complaint is with how much time is consumed by dealing with weapon pickups. So much of it is junk and it's a pain to constantly clear room in the inventory. Outside of that, though, I had a great time. I'm going to wait a few weeks and then rip into adventure mode. Maybe actually play online this time.

WINGNUT

WINGNUT said:

Well I started this afternoon with an hour on MK8 to try out the Mercedes add on,meh. Bought the DLC pack while I was there too,Link in Mario Kart!! Roll on November.
Got a busy one this weekend so might not get as much gaming in as I'd like,ordered Metro Redux just for the ridiculous price of £22.99!! Didn't give it much of a chance on 360 so looking forward to this. When I do get on it'll be in spurts so Titanfall & PinballFX 2 will be my games of choice,not that you can really have just 10 mins on Pinball (an hour later) haha. Have a good one people 😉

mitcHELLspawn

mitcHELLspawn said:

@DRL I totally agree! I hate that the inventory is only 60. It drives me crazy and I don't even know where all of that 60 goes to be honest lol I'll look through my gear and see barely anything yet my pack will be full. It's so annoying having to stop and go through your stuff every room just so you can pick up stuff in the next part. And I'm ocd so I have to pick up everything just in case it's something awesome I don't want to miss out lol... so tell me how many hours did it take you to beat the game? I've put in easily 20 hours now and I'm just at t he end of act 2. I'm playing the whole thing coop with a friend so we kind of have to pick and choose when to play. I don't find the game as much fun when you're playing alone.

@mitcHELLspawn I had the same problem — could never figure out how 60 spots were filled. I think your companion's slots may be counted toward that number, along with the spaces being consumed by items where health is stored (I forget what it's called). And as far as length goes, I have zero clue how long it actually took me. I'd say between 20-30 hours would be a decent guess.

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

@mitcHELLspawn, thanks for the info regarding Metro Collection, i also want to get into it, but Ive been playing Diablo 3 and I'm still hooked on Diablo.

I also which i had more people to play online with let me know next time your up for a game, I'm also almost finished act 2 at Level 54.

@DRL, regarding the 60 item limit on the characters, you need to look at the potion area on your inventory. Every Jewel type counts as 1 on your /60 max. I usually keep a max of 2 of each jewel type the rest i just drop / sell. if your up for a game of diablo let me know, my gamer tag is Mr Chimps 2008.

mitcHELLspawn

mitcHELLspawn said:

@Emanouel oh shoot really ! I didn't know gems count towards your item limit! That explains it then because I have way too many of them that I won't be using. Awesome. So yeah I've added so many people recently I'm not sure what Gamertag is yours? I have 2 characters.. a monk at 24 and a wizard at 45 I believe and I haven't finished act 2 yet I'm very close though. I usually play with one of my good friends but It would be great to get a third player.

As for metro yeah if you've never played them like me they really are a great collection to pick up. Can't wait to start last light tonight.. and ya can't beat that 2000GS haha

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

@mitcHELLspawn, my gamer tag is Mr Chimps 2008. i sent you a legendary item that i found while playing. lots of items including potions can take up inventory space as well.

I have a barbarian at level 54, i usually play at night. ill send you a message next time I'm online.

I look forward to play the Metro collection, after reading what you said about it. I'm even more excited.

mitcHELLspawn

mitcHELLspawn said:

@Emanouel ohhh ok yes I know now. Yeah thanks for all the gifts it was great. I don't know how to give gifts like that yet.. the odd time I'll find an item named "gift for" and then a Gamertag but I don't know how to gift specific items to people

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

@mitcHELLspawn, on the inventory items with the potion icon, its under the treasure icon. you select the item and then press a to send it.

let me know if you got any gifts for my character, it should be labelled as mr chimps 2008.

another suggestion would be to increase the games difficulty as you will earn more XP and gold so you can level up faster :)

TasukiStaff

This weekend I have Saturday off but work Sunday so not too much gaming.
My computer is still dead and now I have hit some financial problems so no new games for me for awhile (Had to cancel my Destiny and Smash Bros preorders) but lucky for me I do have a huge backlog and with the free games from XBL and PSN I should be ok till I can get back on my feet. Anyway enough rambling.

Xbox 360 — Well I picked up Left 4 Dead as part of the Games with gold sale and I have to say I am really enjoying this one even more so then the second one.

PS4 — Probably NBA 2K14 with my son

Wii U — Mario Kart 8 and Dungeon and Dragons Chronicles of Mystara which I picked up for $1.75 (Thank you Deluxe Digital Promotion)

3DS — Warioland II

I am thinking that maybe I can clear out some of my backloggery and then trade those games in to get some newer ones.

@Tasuki

If by true colors you mean just go where I think the games are, then yes. :)

But don't worry I'm still buying plenty, possibly more games for PS4 since the multiplats are pre-ordered on that console, so I will continue to bring my positive, non-cynical outlook on the gaming landscape, and the PS brand in particular, to PushSquare. ;)

TasukiStaff

@Gamer83: I know you will but I had to give you a hard time. Heck if I had the money right now I would pick up an Xbox One too. Still maybe not having the money right now might be a good thing and I can score a sweet deal on one this Holiday season.

@Gamer83 So you're enjoying your new console, eh? With all these updates the Xbox One has been receiving lately, I'm starting to get that great feeling that I had when the Xbox 360 started coming into its own. Believe it or not, I think the social features are what appeal to me the most. I like checking the feed to see what all my friends have been up to game-wise. I don't feel so disconnected from the world when gaming anymore, and I really like that. :)

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

@DRL, i also agree the xbox one social features are cool as you can see your friends progress as well as if they have recorded any new clips.

@DRL

Oh yeah I'm definitely enjoying it. I feel like since Phil Spencer has taken over the Xbox has become 'cool' again, kind of like back from 2006-2009 when the 360 was in the prime years of its run. I like the social features, that was a cool aspect of the 360 as well, but what has me most excited is the lineup. Forza Horizon 2, the Halo Collection, Killer Instinct Season 2, Halo 5, Sunset Overdrive, State of Decay Year One Edition, Quantum Break (my most-anticipated game headed to any system, ), Crackdown. Things are looking good for the Xbox One early on. You should add me on XBL: NYYanks3621.

@Tasuki
I think MS has done a good job with the bundles so far. It's not a price drop but with the Madden bundle I bought or the upcoming Sunset Overdrive bundle, you essentially get the game free with the purchase of the console, that's a pretty sweet deal. Only negative I can think to it is if you absolutely detest digital downloads as that's the way the game is given to you. I'd prefer physical copies but can't complain about a free download. You should send me a friend invite too, I don't use my 360 as much anymore but still take it out from time to time and like to see what other people are playing and achievements they've racked up.

TasukiStaff

@Gamer83: I would but I don't have a Gold membership anymore only my sons account is Gold since the Xbox 360 is in his room since he used it slot for YouTube and Netflix.

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

@mitcHELLspawn, I also just noticed that you can leave the crafting materials in your stash instread of the inventory. I wa able to bring down my on half items down to 14. So I have over 40+ slots for extra items. The same for the jewels as well keep them in the stash

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I got Ultra Street Fighter IV so I am playing that. I have issues because the life bars are not showing and when I go to options to change the HUD settings the game seems to freeze, although the music keeps playing. Not sure if my old Super files are causing a conflict or if my disc is faulty.

HEADESTROYER4Staff

HEADESTROYER4 said:

@Gamer83
I also believe Phil Spencer is doing an amazing job at making the XB1 "cool"!

When I see the Sly Stallone - "That's how winnin' is done" add nowadays I'm like "Yeah, we did get hit with a sucker punch in the first round... we sort of went down... we sure as shooters got back up and hit 'em even harder!"

This being said, I love the big 3 and competition only raises the bar higher!

@Emanouel @Gamer83 Sure, I'll give you guys an add next time I boot up the ol' X1. Keep in mind that I don't really play online all that often, though. When Rainbow Six: Siege comes out, however, oh man, I'll be online EVERY DAY. SO want. :)

@DRL

I don't play online too often either but I like to see what other people are playing and achievements they're racking up.

@HEADESTROYER4

In the end, as long as X1 sells well enough so it's not a total failure and gets good games, that's all that matters. If the brand had continued down the road it was going at E3 2013, it was finished for sure. Most of what's going on may be more of a company waking up as a whole and not just Phil Spencer himself, but regardless the X1 at this point in its life is starting to resemble the Xbox 360 at the same time, like @DRL mentioned, so that's a very good thing. And if the console takes off in China that could be huge given the size of that country, if it makes a major impact we could maybe see a lot of new, interesting games from talented developers over there that haven't really had a chance to put their games on consoles.

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

@DRL , i usually don't play online either, but i have always enjoyed online co-op. I did spend many hours playing Dead Rising 3 online, now I'm having a great time with Diablo 3. you never know what loot you;ll get next time you play