Talking Point: What Games Are You Playing This Weekend? - Issue Twenty Two

Posted by Dave Letcavage

Fire Emblem, Road Not Taken, Tomb Raider and more!

Welcome to What Games Are You Playing This Weekend, also known by the uber-popular acronym WGAYPTW. This is a laid-back feature that allows us to share our upcoming weekend gaming plans with all of you. By providing a little window into our personal lives, you can learn what makes us tick as gamers and learn which writer's gaming tastes may align with yours. But it doesn’t only work one way. Once you’ve read through the words we’ve prepared, we’d love if you would head to the comments and tell us about your weekend agenda, as well. Trust us, it's the right thing to do.

With the introduction out of the way, it's time to get this party started.

Ken Barnes (@SuperKMx)

The Last of Us: Remastered (PS4) — I completed the game on PS3 in launch week, then traded it in for the PS4 version and am about halfway through. Work has put paid to me completing it this week, but the weekend isn't far away. I was truly surprised as to how much of the game's intro that I had entirely forgotten. Really gave me a kick in the heart the second time around, as much as it did on the PS3.

TRON Legacy Pinball (Arcade) — I will go straight out and admit that this is going to be running on my arcade cabinet in the excellent Future Pinball software, but I think I can get away with it being counted as a videogame, given that the table isn't a recreation. It's a brand new homebrew table that's been created by a very talented and dedicated guy, and is only available in game form. And...well...I'm the boss so...shush. Multiball!

WWE All Stars (Xbox 360)
I'm getting far more excited for WWE 2k15 on Xbox One than I ever really should be at the grand old age of 33, and I realised last week that I'd never really played this traditional fighting game/wrestling game hybrid before. I found it cheap at a local store and my first hour with it was really fun, so I'm looking forward to playing through it this weekend.

Dave Letcavage (@DRL)

Oh man, I don't even know where to begin this week! Hmm... My wife brought home Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition last Friday, and I'm about halfway through that — my sights are set on 100% single-player completion. The PS Vita has remained a vital part of my daily routine, and with The Swapper, Proteus, Table Top Racing and a secret game that I can't mention (oops!), there's no shortage of handheld goodness to keep my eyes wide and fingers in constant pain. Steel Empire for 3DS is sure to prolong the hand cramping if the Vita needs to rest on the charger.

As you can see, an influx of games has found its way into my possession recently, and I'm trying to work through the stack diligently so it doesn't tempt and distract me throughout work days. Rogue Legacy interfered with productivity last week and this week it looks like The Swapper is the main culprit — I'm LOVING nearly everything about it so far. Who knows, maybe a game will release for the Xbox One soon enough and I'll be able to jump on some review duties. It could happen, right?

Anthony Bacchus (@Anthinator)

Okay, I'm serious this time. Batman: Arkham Origins will be wrapped up this weekend. As I've stated before, I've been immensely surprised how much I'm enjoying it, considering how many close friends of mine have disliked it. No, I don't think it tops its predecessors, but it still feels like an Arkham game through and through. I'm also enjoying the story quite a bit, and the stuff with Joker caught me by surprise. I probably won't toy around with multiplayer, but I may give it a try if I have some time.

Over on Vita, I'm currently playing Doki-Doki Universe which just so happens to be one of most "feel good" games I've played in a long while. The art style is wonderfully charming and the core gameplay has you fulfilling tasks for people on an alien planet to make them feel better. Sure, it may sound a little childish but it's a refreshing change from the usual mature games I've been surrounded with.

Thanks to Games with Gold, I'll boot up Crimson Dragon and give it a spin. I was always curious about it when I heard it was a launch title for the console, but after reading reviews, I refrained from buying it. I'm not expecting much from it but perhaps with lowered expectations, I may end up enjoying my time with it.

Eric Santana (@EricDS)

I'm heading to Florida for a family vacation this weekend, so mobile games are what will help pass the time during the drive down. That means that the 3DS and Vita are going to be getting more attention than usual. I'll be continuing my Fire Emblem: Awakening file that I started last weekend. I'm about 10 chapters in and just got to the point where I can recruit units from previous games in the series, which makes the fanboy in me very happy.

I also picked up some downloadable titles for Vita that I've wanted to play. Spelunky is one that I have seen played and been interested in, but never got around to purchasing. According to reviews it's a pretty difficult game with a ton of cool mechanics to help make every run feel different. The second game that I downloaded from PSN was Thomas Was Alone. When I learned that it won a BAFTA, I decided to look into it. It appears to be a pretty relaxed game in comparison to both Spelunky and Fire Emblem, and I think the change in pace will do me good.

Emma H. Pira (@PeTitosaurus)

I'll be grinding Titanfall — back into the old habits. The new maps that launched with the latest DLC are just my cup of tea, completely. I really like the fact that they seem to truly have taken pilot movements into consideration, creating pretty small maps with levels upwards rather than expanding outwards. The new maps are just pure parkour fun for me and (this will come back to bite me, I'm sure) I feel pro at times.

The Minecraft server I used to play on was scrapped and is getting a face-lift, so I'll most likely be getting into that again, as well. You'll find me in the jungle biomes scouting for ocelots — I'm serious about those cats. I am getting those cats!

Josephine Johnson (@MegaKILLScreen)

At last! The elusive weekend without plans, a rare and fabulous beast indeed. To celebrate, I have made plans..to meet up with site regular emanouel for some Dead Rising 3 co-op action. Since he's the only person I know whose love of destroying zombies is greater than my own, I'm sure we'll have a blast!

I'll be delving into the adorable looking Road Not Taken on PS4 too as I sank an embarrassing amount of time into Triple Town by the same developer and this looks like a much more fulfilling puzzle experience. I didn't know much about this title other than 'oh my god-are those the Triple Town bears?!' (My cry as we scrolled through the PSN store), so I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

The usual suspects will be cropping up of course; Hearthstone, Plants vs Zombies and Don't Starve, but these titles have become such a constant in my life, I hardly consider them worthy of mention. Asking if I am planning to play these at the weekend would be as redundant as asking if I was planning to eat or breathe. Gaming, it has been too long, but rest assured, I am yours once more.

Justin Gieni (@Headestroyer4)

This weekend I become unstuck!

The new content in Titanfall update V5, as well as the vibrant and environmentally-hazardous maps of Frontier's Edge, have me back “chasing geese” in a renewed attempt to bypass GEN 5. It's great that my burn cards aren't gong to waste anymore as I squeeze through this bottleneck. Any tips on “goosing”, (taking down an ejecting pilot) for me from the community are more than welcome!

I'll also be tapping away frantically at my D-Pad in Guacamelee: STCE and Shovel Knight, since these two titles have reignited my love for difficult games. With higher difficulty and harsher penalty systems comes the inevitable choke point, that time when we cast our controllers recklessly out the window and proclaim “this *%$@ is hard!”. This weekend I will be symbolically climbing out the window, dusting off my poor gamepad and conquering these most challenging moments in the more difficult games on my roster… Then some Mario Golf: World Tour for stress relief!

So you made it this far, huh? That means it's your turn! What games are YOU playing this weekend? Share your plans with us in the comments.

Sponsored links by Taboola

mitcHELLspawn

mitcHELLspawn said:

This weekend for me is going to be me really trying to get into sniper elite 2 on Xbox one.. I played it for about a half hour and haven't gone back to it since but I feel like I haven't given it a fair shake so I'm going to try again today... If that doesn't work out, I'm thinking on buying some dead rising 3 dlc since I beat the game and haven't gone back into it. I just hope it's worth the money !

BetweenTheTrees

BetweenTheTrees said:

besides schoolwork and workwork i will be playing titanfall, the last of us remastered and i was thinking about downloading something from psnow.

WINGNUT

WINGNUT said:

Hoping to get Wolfenstein finished, I'm about ¾ the way through Sniper Elite, so should get that tied up and of course some Titanfall will be squeezed in at some point 😜

peckfeckler

peckfeckler said:

Thank goodness I read this, did not know titanfall had a new update, time to call up my brother and get back into the mech suit. TITAN ONLINE!

Dead Rising 3 (One) Absolutely loving this game, which is a surprise cause I hated the other 2 games in the series :-P

Need for Speed Rivals (One) good game, but I'm pretty mad that I can't use manual transmission, play the game offline without others, and the big one, PAUSE THE D@MN GAME! ><

Diablo 3 (PS3) I'll be getting back into this before getting Ultimate Evil Edition on Xbox One. I'm so happy I found out you can transfer my PS3 characters to my Xbox One Ultimate Evil Edition, I was afraid I would need to start from scratch.

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

This weekend ill probably get back into some Dead Rising 3, i took some time from the game to play other games.

Im also looking forward to Diablo 3 on xbox one, i held off getting it last year when it arrived.

Maybe we should have a group of people who want to play diablo and we can all meet and play together

@SunnyShores Boo to school work and workwork! :P

@WINGNUT How far into Wolfenstein are you? Are you finding ammo to deplete too quickly and enemies to push you into a corner all too often? I wanted to love that game completely, but there were moments that I found to really degrade my enjoyment. And I'm no wuss when it comes to shooters, either.

@hydeks Recently, I've put some thought into buying Rivals, but I'm thinking I should wait for Forza Horizon 2 and The Crew, instead. Do you think Rivals is worth getting considering those other games are speeding into view rather quickly?

Probably doesn't need to be said at this point but MLB 14 The Show for PS4 and when I manage to pull myself away from that game, I play some TLoU Remastered. Hoping to have the latter completed by the end of this month so that when Destiny comes out I'll be able to give that the attention it deserves.

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

@DRL,

Im also interested in getting rivals as well, i have a feeling Rivals will be added to EA's Vault in the coming months as well as plants vs zombies.

I recently got Forza 5, its the first froze game i've played. Im not really enjoying it, i keep losing control / spinning out too much. I've played a lot of racing games, but this Forza 5 feels more difficult. Im assuming Forza horizon 2 will be more arcade?

WINGNUT

WINGNUT said:

@DRL just towards the end of the moon level, I've not found it too bad as far as ammo is concerned but then I'm only playing it on "bring it on" difficulty. I'm finding the enigma codes & gold a pain to find though, not sure what you get for finding them all but I'm a sucker for hunting round the areas for collectibles :-)

@Emanouel I don't have an answer to that question because I've spent very little time with the Forza series. Maybe @SuperKMx can enlighten us as to whether or not the Horizon games are supposed to be more arcade style?

@WINGNUT I'm usually engrossed in collectible hunting, too, but I became so frustrated with the odds being stacked against me at certain points in that game that I gave up looking for them. I think it all started around a stage that took place on a bridge. I recall barely being able to peek my head around corners without chewing on bullets. Outside of those situations I did really like the game, though.

SuperKMxAdmin

SuperKMx said:

@DRL @Emanouel Forza Horizon 2 is definitely more arcade style than Forza 5, yeah. The only thing I can suggest with Forza 5 is to turn on all the driving assistance and the racing line - it should help with stopping you spin out! :)

SuperKMxAdmin

SuperKMx said:

@hydeks The "forced online play" thing is my problem with Need for Speed Rivals, too. I gave up after I was halfway through driving toward a race and it decided to boot me out of the game because everyone else had left. Just seems weird you can't play it in single player!

EternalDragonX

EternalDragonX said:

Crimson Dragon...so far I hate it. Typical though, I always disliked Panzer Dragoon so I dunno what I was expecting.

@DRL the game is sorta worth it if you like Burnout, but with Forza Horizons 2 and The Crew on the way, don't bother with this game unless you pick it up cheap (I bought it for $30 new). The graphics and everything are great, but it's all the small things in this game that will annoy you (being online all the time, being booted and waiting for a new host just to play the game, can't pause at all in the game, if you wanna pause you gotta go back to the safehouse) Honestly, I would recommend any old NFS or Burnout game before playing this mess of a game.

@SuperKMx I did the tutorial at the beginning (racer and cop) then was put into the game, and in less then 5min it kept going in and out like 3-4 times trying to find a new host. It's incredibly retarded, and I can't believe EA thought these things where a good idea -_-

@EternalDragonX I really disliked the first 30 minutes that I played last week, but I might boot it up and give it another chance this weekend. I'm a Panzer Dragoon fan, so I'm very disappointed.

@hydeks Good deal. I'll probably just hold off. If I buy both The Crew and Horizon 2, that's already LOTS of racing action. Almost too much! Haha.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I got a bunch of Wii U eShop games yesterday, so I will be playing those. Namely Shovel Knight and three smaller titles (Chubbins, Shut the Box and Kung Fu Rabbit). Haven't tried the latter yet, but obviously I am enjoying the first one a lot.

If I have time, I may continue my Kalos journey in Pokémon X.

TasukiStaff

@SuperKMx: For my arcade racing fix on the Box you can't go wrong with Project Gotham ;). Nice choice on WWE All Stars btw I love the game it heck of reminds me of the old WWF Arcade games in the early to mid 90's.

@DRL: Here I am just like I said last week man :D. So nice to see what everyone is playing and I have to say your wife seriously rocks, wish my wife did that when I was married lol.

Ok well with that said I will be playing World of Warcraft so close to getting another maxed level character in that game as well as an achievement that I can taste it lol.

On the PS side of things might play a few games of NBA 2K14 with my son, we are both really hooked on that game, I haven't been this hooked on a basketball game since NBA Live 98 on the Playstation, yeah its been awhile.

Also might have a few friends over tonight so that means some couch multiplayer madness with some Mario Kart 8 and NSMBU on the Wii U and some Fist Puncher on the Ouya.

Happy gaming weekend everyone. :)

HEADESTROYER4Staff

HEADESTROYER4 said:

@peckfeckler Update 5.0 brought us the black market as well as insignia, this new content along with the new DLC maps (if you partake in those) should get you back into the game!!
Make sure your bro is a Pure Xbox reader, you'll get an achievement in my books.

@Emanouel
Just as SuperKMx said, turn on and up all assistance and hug that racing line like she's your mamma! The rewind feature in "offline" play will help you master the more difficult turns, just keep on rewinding until you've got 'em down.

Pichuka97

Pichuka97 said:

I just ordered component cables for my Wii and PS2 so I will be playing RE4 for Wii and Sonic Unleashed and COD 3 online on my PS2. This will be a fun weekend!!

@Tasuki Welcome back! And yeah, my wife's pretty cool sometimes. It helps that she actually likes games — both playing AND watching. I can't complain about that. :)

@sinalefa Let me know how you like Chubbins when you hop into it. I tried and tried but just couldn't warm to it. I really disliked the visuals and the level design.

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

@Headestroyer4 @DRL & @SuperKMx thanks for the info and advice on forza 5. ill see what the tweaks do. I feel as if rewinding is cheating. lol i haven't had issues like this on other racing games.

I wonder how Rivals plays on xbox one. has anyone hear played Rivals and if so whats your opinion on the game?

I loved the Burnout series, i don't know if EA will ever release another Burnout Game

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@DRL

I am at World 3 now. The game is not nice looking but that does not bother me. The worst for me is that you have to beat the whole World in order to save, hence you cannot save between levels. For a game that hard it is a real hassle.

When I asked the dev about it on Nintendo Life, they said that the priority was getting Soon Shine ready for release next week, and depending on its success they may not go back to Wii U if it fails.

@sinalefa I'm not a graphics snob or anything, there's just something about the style and use of colors in Chubbins that I find unsettling. And that's interesting about the dev. Is it weird that I could see Chubbins performing much better sales-wise if it had a 16-bit look? I honestly believe it's the visuals that turn people away.