Talking Point: What Games Are You Playing This Weekend? - Issue Twenty Three

Back once again....

Welcome to What Games Are You Playing This Weekend, also known by the uber-popular acronym WGAYPTW. This is a laid-back feature that allows us to share our upcoming weekend gaming plans with all of you. By providing a little window into our personal lives, you can learn what makes us tick as gamers and learn which writer's gaming tastes may align with yours. But it doesn’t only work one way. Once you’ve read through the words we’ve prepared, we’d love if you would head to the comments and tell us about your weekend agenda, as well. Trust us, it's the right thing to do.

With the introduction out of the way, it's time to get this party started.

Ken Barnes (@SuperKMx)

This weekend - inspired by Blake Harris' great book Console Wars (which has just hit the bookstores in the UK) - I'm going to be revisiting the Mega Drive/Genesis Sonic The Hedgehog titles. I seem to remember that to this day, I never completed Sonic 3, so my goal is to beat all of them...and maybe even Knuckles Chaotix on the 32X. I'm going to blast through the Battlefield 4 single-player campaign with my shiny new EA Access subscription on Xbox One too, and I think there might even be time for a little visit to the pool hall for a bit of Pure Pool on PlayStation 4, given that it hasn't reached the Xbox One yet for some apparently unexplainable reason.

Dave Letcavage (@DRL)

I don't anticipate spending much time at home this weekend, so Vita and 3DS will be my primary gaming devices. Gravity Crash Ultra, Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds, and Dragon's Crown are at the top of the Vita list, while my unfinished business with Siesta Fiesta and Steel Empire should keep me busy with my 3DS. If I do find the time to kick back on the couch at home, finishing my current playthrough of Strider and spending more time with Pinball FX2 are what I'm most looking forward to.

Anthony Bacchus (@Anthinator)

I'm pretty swamped this weekend with work and getting preparations made for my return to school in a few weeks, but there's no way I'm going to let a weekend fly by without some form of controller in my hands. As recommended by my fellow Pure Xbox staff, I'm finally going to give Pinball FX 2 a try. This series never caught my interest the first time but it seems like everyone I talk to about the game seems to rave about it excessively. I guess we'll just have to see what the fuss is all about.

I also snagged Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes this week because of Deals with Gold. I swore to myself that I wouldn't spend full price on what I think is a fairly shallow experience but it seems that the 50% cut was enough to persuade me. Plus, with all the impressive Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain gameplay footage revealed at Gamescom this past week, it's hard not to be tempted by this prologue.

I won't risk trying to squeeze in a third game this weekend, but I do want to talk about my experience this week playing the Silent Hills playable teaser, or P.T. (aka the coolest game announcement ever!) on PS4. I wouldn't quite call it a game but rather a terrifying slice of horror entertainment. Admittedly, I jumped way more than I should have for a 2-hour teaser and some of the "puzzles" in the "loops" range from creative to downright frustrating. I still recommend everyone to try it out for themselves and to go in with as little information as possible. You won't regret it.

Emma H. Pira (@PeTitosaurus)

This weekend will be dedicated to nostalgia. First up Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. I just finished a re-run with a party constellation I've never tried before and had so much fun with it I might just try another run with a completely new group of merry adventurers. I find it incredible that they still do updates and working on the game; even now, 16 years after initial release! But it is, hands down, one of my absolute favourite games of all times and genres so I'm not complaining. Would love to see a game like that released on console — I've yet to experience that kind of attachment to a console game.

I will also most likely be playing Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag multiplayer as a friend of mine just got it for next-gen and we've been having some good fun while totally wrecking lobbies of high levelled players. Being a pirate is too much fun and the multiplayer ladies are just gorgeously designed.

I might sniff a little bit at the EA Access app. The whole idea is very forward-thinking and appealing, but I'm still a bit hesitant to hop on it now as the games available aren't really crying out to me yet. But a trial run would suit me just fine at this stage.

Josephine Johnson (@MegaKILLScreen)

I have only seven achievements left to get on Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare, so I'll be spending my weekend playing my least favourite game type: Gnome Bomb. I love PvZ, it's replaced Battlefield as my favourite shooter, but Gnome Bomb is easily the weakest mode and I would rather be spending my time on the new Suburbination map. I'll also be playing some Diablo III in preparation for Tuesday's release of the Ultimate Evil Edition. I've held off playing Reaper of Souls on the PC as I enjoyed the console version of Diablo III so much more and I wanted to experience it as a complete game rather than as a port of the PC version. I'm hoping I'll still be able to import my character from the Xbox 360 version but it doesn't look likely (I sold my Xbox 360 but I saved to the cloud so this may be possible through some MacGyvering). Birthday celebrations will call for some real life, actual physical tabletop gaming so I have Cards Against Humanity, Zombies! and a poker set on hand for the more social aspects of my weekend.

Justin Gieni (@Headestroyer4)

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition - I will be backtracking into the island to wrap my mind around the optional tombs before (hopefully) reaching the finale. I love this new Lara, possibly to much?

Shovel Knight - After finally finishing the game and acquiring all feats, I shall now engage the infamous “Butt mode”, and be laughing all the way.

Titanfall - As my goose chase continues (I got one pilot by mistake using the new environmental traps last weekend and that was my only "goose") I am finding more and more new friends online that are providing me with a wealth of tips and strategies to GET THESE GEESE!

Goat Simulator - After hearing this was coming our way in the ID@XBOX program I must whip out my sticky goat tongue and mess with innocent civilians. Fear the goat!

So you made it this far, huh? That means it's your turn! What games are YOU playing this weekend? Share your plans with us in the comments.

Sponsored links by Taboola

@EternalDragonX

The DLC style EA has gone with on PVZ is "impressive, most impressive", sorry I've been star wars pinballin' allot this past day and a half!

Friend me up, HEADESTROYER4 ... I could definitely break out my fire peashooter this weekend! I may break it out right now!

heyzeus002

heyzeus002 said:

@EternalDragonX did you get my msg on xbl? Not been on for a bit so not checked, hope you got it anyway. There's a decent ubisoft sale on wii u so I downloaded splinter cell, child of light and rayman so will probably spend some time on that and obligatory Battlefield 4 multiplayer on ps4 in between. Other than that, the football season starts again this weekend (hell yeeeaaahh) so gaming may take a bit of a back seat

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I have a long weekend, so since today I have off I will have plenty of gaming time. I will beat Shovel Knight, which has been amazing so far. Probably will go back to Pokémon X and Bike Rider DX2. I will also get Xtype Plus and Soon Shine off the eShop.

HEADESTROYER4 said:

@sinalefa Nice list! Shovel Knight is such a great game and does not disappoint!

I do believe there is a distribution going on in Pokemon X/Y right now so you may want to jump in and check that out today! (Vivillion with a special paint job and some crazy moves)

Soon Shine, must look into that one!

Dead Rising 3 (One): Great game so far, will be putting alot of time into this so I can move on and start playing Watch Dogs eventually.

Diablo 3 (PS3): Getting back into this before I buy Ultimate Evil Edition on X1

NFS Rivals (One) there is alot of things I really hate about this game, but it's still a NFS game and I'm determined to beat it!

BetweenTheTrees

BetweenTheTrees said:

i will be playing watchdogs and titanfall on x1.

and the p.t. demo on ps4 which looks incredible.

but mainly titanfall, there is just something about blasting through pilots, grunts, specters , titans, and shooting aimlessly at wildlife that makes my heart smile.

WINGNUT

WINGNUT said:

After finishing Wolfenstein last weekend I started it on Uber mode in the week,so gonna finish that to get 1000/1000 cheevos. Pinball FX2 will be played a bit,as will Titanfall,as always 😜 my other focus this weekend will be movies,got RAID 2,Cap America 2 & Spiderman 2 if it is out on digital download. Have a good weekend people!!

heyzeus002

heyzeus002 said:

@hydeks wondering if you could answer a question about diablo. Is the combat like dynasty warriors where its just mashing or is their more skill involved like evading/parries and whatnot? never played it before but am interested in this 1 but the reviews/videos I've seen don't seem to answer it in any informative way..

Sir_JBizzle

Sir_JBizzle said:

Hmmm I'll probably end up playing some Last of Us Remastered. Followed by some Madden then NFS Rivals and Titanfall (yea, I'm all over the place lol)

I was thinking of downloading Ground Zeroes while it's on sale for 15 bucks. Do you guys think it's worth it for that price?

heyzeus002

heyzeus002 said:

@JQuest it most certainly is.I love mgs so im biased tbh but on a serious note, I paid full price for it when it released and ive enjoyed it a lot. A lot more than something like infamous which looked great but the actual gameplay left me cold.i would also say that your enjoyment of mgs:gz will probably rely on what type of gamer you are. For instance, if you're the kind that likes to replay missions or dont mind the length of a game as long as the quality is there then id certainly recommend it without hesitation. However, if you tend to play a game through only once for the story then you are probably better off getting physical then just trading it when done because if you don't replay it and/or take your time to soak it all in then you'll be done with it in about 3-5 hours tops. What there is though is really good, high quality stuff. Just get it on disc tbh so at least you have the option to keep it or get rid.hope that helps

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@HEADESTROYER4

Thanks. I recently got two Vivillons, a fancy pattern that got distributed because of 100 million trades and the PokéBall pattern one.

I am not expecting much from Soon Shine. NL gave it a 6. It seems like a cheap game to play between other game sessions.

@sinalefa
Oh good, the second "pokeball" one was what I meant... you have him or her, awesomeness.

I was sure i'd read of all Ninty releases this week but apparently I missed one? If our friends over at NLife gave it a six... it's likely a six :) I'll definitely check it out nonetheless!

@sinalefa
Have you been taking part in online tournament play? I tried to take my stable of rockstar pokes into ONE tourney and got by buttocks kicked by most everyone. I had trained these little monsters and customized 'em just for tourney gameplay....no... not a chance for Justin (who's played the darn games since he was fifteen?) It's become a real science!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@WINGNUT

That is a game that I am somewhat interested in. I have always had a soft spot for Wolfenstein, and I have read that the game is mostly single player oriented, so that works for me.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@HEADESTROYER4

No. I avoid online competitive play like the plague, not just for this but for any other game. I don't have so much time to play at those skill levels, and my ego does not take beating that nicely. I am just happy filling out my Dex.

Sir_JBizzle

Sir_JBizzle said:

@heyzeus002 Ahhh thanks, that helps! I may download it then. I'm definitely the type that plays a game more than once, especially if it's really good. That combined with my initiative to go all digital (since I rarely trade in games anyways) It sounds like a good investment at that price.

@HEADESTROYER4 wow, how did I miss that video?? That was nothing short of amazing! Thanks for the share. That was inspiring indeed. :-)

Sir_JBizzle

Sir_JBizzle said:

@sinalefa that's me all day! Lol. My collection of Pokémon is pathetic so I wouldn't even dare take them into battle with anyone else. Haha. I also don't get a lot of time to hone skills in anything, so I'm sure I'll pretty much get creamed in Titanfall this weekend. I excel in fighters, so maybe I'll just play some Ultra Street Fighter instead :-/

WINGNUT

WINGNUT said:

@sinalefa yeah it's all single player,with secrets & collectables to find. I've really enjoyed battling through,there's actually 2 timelines to the campaign aswell. Definetly give it a blast 👍

@sinalefa
Wolfenstein is purely single player as WINGNUT said, sounds like a good one for you! I've unfortunately only been able to play bits and pieces but we reviewed it at an 8, I believe? Likely only due to the lack of co-op or multi play and that's of no concern for you.

After training and customizing and breeding and trading... I got squashed over and over and... yeah. My ego certainly was bruised and I only play unranked rounds against friends now! Filling the dex itself takes determination.

Never again. Lol

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@HEADESTROYER4 @WINGNUT

Thanks again. I just ordered the game on Amazon along with Ultra SFIV.

@JQuest

I think I just suck at any competitive game online. I would rather try something co op like evolve or Monster Hunter, and even then losing connection or not finding people just turns me off online too.

Sir_JBizzle

Sir_JBizzle said:

@HEADESTROYER4 will do! I gather your gamertag is the same as your screen name here, yes? If it is, be on the lookout for Sir JBizzle (you know, just so you don't think it's some rando lol)

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

This week it will be a mix for me between the XBOX One and my Wii

XB1: Dead Rising 3

WII (SNES Virtual Console): Zelda - A Link To The Past

@JQuest
Yup, all caps to get inside peoples HEADS!

I will friend you as well, those rando's can be dangerous!

Anyone who wants to join us for Titanfall this weekend, please, friend away!

It'd be great if we could get a whole team! Who's in?

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

@HEADESTROYER4, it is my first time playing it as i never owned a SNES console, I had a blast on the 3DS game Zelda a link between worlds and noticed that the game is in the same world as the SNES classic

HEADESTROYER4 said:

Not just in the same "Hyrule" but a true continuation, I loved that game as well, played right thru on 3DS until my thumbs were sore!

You're going to love it!

TasukiStaff

So hopefully I wont be sick this weekend although I have to work (figures the one I get off I am in pain in bed for the weekend).

So with Thursday's announcement of the next expansion for World of Warcraft hitting November 13th I reckon there is alot of work I need to do before then so I will be starting on some of that this weekend.

On the PS4 front probably a bit of NBA 2K14 with my son while we wait for Diablo III to hit on Tuesday.

If I get some time I am thinking of tackling Mega Man Unlimited on PC. Which is a fan made Mega Man but it really feels more like a true old school Mega Man game more then a fan game, it's done that well.

@JQuest

Very well put! Precisely, if you see "KiTtenChiUaUa" coming at you... you aren't afraid whatsoever! I strike fear, before I strike! (Batman should have said that, beat him to it)

I know at least one other pX member Emma who knows her T-Fall is bound to join us.

TITANFALL, anyone in for teaming up this weekend fire off a post and i'll add you and JQuest will add you and you'll add us and the whole world will live in harmony!

Sir_JBizzle

Sir_JBizzle said:

I figured I'd change my screen name on here to reflect my XBOX gamertag Sir JBizzle. So if anyone searches for me, just be sure to omit the underscore!

EDIT: I was just JQuest on here, just for clarity... :-p

HEADESTROYER4 said:

Don't worry, your previous posts will be changed to your new name (it's a good idea to use your proper gamertag for ease of friending!)

I actually just corrected mine earlier today... and, I think I sort of work for this site so... I likely should have done that earlier :P

@Sir_JBizzle
Adding you now Mr Bizzle!

Is that a reference to the classic "X-Bizzle, it's low scrill, yo!" adds that the Hudson bay company aired here in my home of Canada and I believe Target aired within the United States? For... the OG Xbox!

Because that would be totally bad-assizzle...yo! ;)

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

@HEADESTROYER4, Thanks I'm looking forward to playing it, only probably is Diablo 3 is out next week and i can see my time going to that game for the next month or so.

PS4: MLB 14 The Show
Xbox 360: Getting back into some Halo, mostly Reach and 4.

MegaKillScreenStaff

MegaKillScreen said:

@Tasuki - Thanks for the link, this is the guide I was planning on using but I'm concerned that the fact I don't have an Xbox 360 to export my save from will be a problem. It IMPLIES that it won't but then, why ask you to export from 360 in the first place if it isn't actually required? We shall wait and see...

SuperKMxAdmin

SuperKMx said:

I have SO MUCH work to do...but I think it might be about time to forget all that and start playing through Sonic 1 on the Mega Drive like I said I was going to...

Beat Phantom Breaker and Age of Zombies and now I'm about halfway through Dead Nation. So much love for Vita! :)

HEADESTROYER4 said:

I think I'll need to outsource my "goosing" in order to get beyond Gen5 in T-Fall! It's so bad that I have ten epic and comedy rich moments recorded for every one goose... being, one goose... that I hit by accident. 😒

Sir_JBizzle

Sir_JBizzle said:

@PeTitosaurus @HEADESTROYER4 if the earth was flat, I'd feel kind of sorry for the ones that live on the edge. They may fall off or something... Lol

Oh and about the JBizzle name. The answer is yes and no. My old work mates gave that moniker to me and it just stuck... I found out years later at a work function that the nickname did indeed originate from that commercial. Strange enough, I had never seen the commercial in question to this day. Haha

@Sir_JBizzle
Wow, I just tried to find you a link and failed hard!

It was an infamous add here in Canada aired by ZELLERS, I don't even think it did air in the U.S For the OG Xbox that went viral before... things did that.

That makes me happy, also, life on the edge is always a dangerous game to play. :p