Talking Point: What Games Are You Playing This Weekend? - Issue Twenty Four

Posted by Dave Letcavage

Runnin' with the devil and flippin' balls

Welcome to What Games Are You Playing This Weekend, also known by the uber-popular acronym WGAYPTW. This is a laid-back feature that allows us to share our upcoming weekend gaming plans with all of you. By providing a little window into our personal lives, you can learn what makes us tick as gamers and learn which writer's gaming tastes may align with yours. But it doesn’t only work one way. Once you’ve read through the words we’ve prepared, we’d love if you would head to the comments and tell us about your weekend agenda, as well. Trust us, it's the right thing to do.

With the introduction out of the way, it's time to get this party started.

Ken Barnes (@SuperKMx)

This weekend, I'll be trying to improve my scores on the Marvel tables on Pinball FX2 on Xbox One. Most notably Guardians of The Galaxy and The Avengers. Guardians is seeing several pX team members battling it out for the top spot right now and I have no doubt that the scores will be flying in thick and fast. I'll also be looking to get into Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition on Xbox One after reading Josie's review earlier in the week. I haven't really gotten into any Diablo titles thus far, but this is as good an opportunity as any. I've also neglected my plastic musical instrument obsession of late, so I think there's at least a couple of sessions of drumming in the Xbox 360 version of Rock Band 3 in my future, also.

Dave Letcavage (@DRL)

After an unplanned week away from home and work, I think I need to dedicate this weekend to getting caught up on everything that had to be put on hold during that time — which is, unfortunately, a lot. That doesn't mean that I won't find the time to participate in my most beloved hobby, I just won't have as much freedom to go at it as hardcore as I usually do. When I end up needing a break from computer screens and keyboards, it's Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition and Pinball FX 2 that will be first to get my attention. I'm also interested in adding another game to my Vita library, but I'm not sure which just yet — Stealth Inc. and CounterSpy are being considered. Other than that, it'll be random indulgences if none of the above-mentioned games match my mood. Who knows, maybe I'll be too distracted by the "Every Simpsons Ever" marathon on FXX to care about games.

Anthony Bacchus (@Anthinator)

I don't normally play competitive games online but it looks like some of the pX staff really love their Pinball FX2. It's all in good fun, but I'm really going to hunker down this weekend and try to top the rest of my fellow staff on the leaderboards. Wish me luck everyone!

Now that Telltale's The Walking Dead: Season Two is concluding next week, I'm thinking now is the time to boot it up and experience Clementine's undoubtedly disturbing adventure. I wanted to wait for all of the remaining episodes to be released before tucking in. If it's even half as great as Season One then I'll be more than happy.

If everything works out, then I'll spend the rest of my weekend playing Child of Light on Xbox One. I had played and enjoyed my time with it when it first launched, but I easily got sidetracked with other things. Now, I'm ready to give it another go.

Eric Santana (@EricDS)

This weekend I'm back home and ready to get back into my routine. I've missed out on lots of Gamescom news being away, so when I'm not reading, I'll be working in a few hours of gaming. First, I want to give Hideo Kojima's and Guillermo Del Toro's 'PT' demo a play. The first two Silent Hill games still give me the creeps, and it looks like these two talented men are bringing back the horror that has been missing from survival horror in recent years. (Norman Reedus starring in it is a plus, too) I'm thinking a good scare might be a nice change of pace for me.

I've been invited by some co-workers to be the fourth player in a couch co-op crusade of Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition. I'm partial to the Witch Doctor and Demon Hunter, but since the Crusader looks awesome, I may need to give that class a go. It's been a while since I've played Diablo, so I expect lots of death and laughter as we try to get through to the Reaper of Souls content.

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright comes out next week, so I dove back into Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies to brush up on my courtroom skills. I really am a fan of the mysteries and humor in both series and can't wait to play this crossover.

Josephine Johnson (@MegaKILLScreen)

This weekend I will be fighting my way through Nephalem rifts in Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition. Although I feel this latest edition is a little easy, I've decided to spice it up by going for a hardcore run as I'm fairly sure the horror of permadeath will kick me back into touch. To get over the stress of accidentally killing my hardcore character, I'm tempted to pick up The Golf Club as I'm coming round to the idea that I probably quite like golf games. It snuck up on me, first a little Super Monkey Ball Golf, then some Powerstar, and all of a sudden I'm getting excited about new releases - I don't know how this could have happened!

Justin Gieni (@Headestroyer4)

Last weekend I utterly failed! I did not catch a goose, I did not finish Tomb Raider and I did not fully engage “butt mode” in Shovel Knight. So this weekend I'll change things up by delving into the non-stop arcade frenzy that is Siesta Fiesta. This pinball/pong/brickbreaker-like title is at the least addictive and at the worst sleep depriving in nature (ironically).

My second and only other commitment this weekend is to play some Titanfall and Peggle 2 with pX readers I missed last weekend! Oh, and we sort of have this pinball thing going on at pX, so i'll try my best to best the editors scores in Pinball FX2.

So you made it this far, huh? That means it's your turn! What games are YOU playing this weekend? Share your plans with us in the comments.

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

Diablo 3 has finally been released so Ill be playing that for this weekend and then rotate between diablo and metro redux.

Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition (One) I'm addicted to it again, absolutely love the the crusader, but I too am finding that the game seems easier (or I'm just getting good at it, I don't know) cause it's my first play through with him and I needed to put it on expert and that just so I had some kinda challenge....still really fun though.

BadWolf09

BadWolf09 said:

I will definitely be getting into Pinball FX2... I'm curious, what table has PX been battling for and who is in the lead?

Sir_JBizzle

Sir_JBizzle said:

@BadWolf09

"I'm curious, what table has PX been battling for and who is in the lead?"

That's what I want to know... I want to get in on some of that action! As far what I'm going to play, probably knock off the rest of my Madden 15 trial, play a few Mario Kart 8 tourneys and (try to) shoot down some Titians (I'll be looking for you @HEADESTROYER4)

EDIT: Though I do have family and friends in town and then preseason football is on, so I may not get around to playing all that I want...

@Sir_JBizzle @BadWolf09 We've mostly been focusing on Guardians since that's the latest and greatest table — last I checked I had the high score, which was around 74 million, I believe. If you guys want to compete with us, keep an eye on the site over the next two weeks (not sure exactly when) because we're going to get something new in motion. :)

mitcHELLspawn

mitcHELLspawn said:

@Emanouel haha you took the words right outta my mouth. Picked up Diablo on Tuesday. . This is the first time I've ever played a Diablo game in my life.. I'm really enjoying it actually. My wife and I have been running through it coop which has been sweet. We just finished the second act.... and as for this Tuesday I can't freaking wait to grab metro redux especially because I've never played them so it will be like a brand new experience for me. Loving it... the games are just gonna start rolling out now and not letting up for months haha.. excited like a child.

HEADESTROYER4Staff

HEADESTROYER4 said:

@Sir_JBizzle

For sure! Still finding it difficult to make those Titans fall?

At last glance I hold the lowest score in PBFX2, this is what weekends are for!

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

@mitcHELLspawn, glad you hear you and your wife are enjoying the game. Im still on the first Act, but I'm having a blast with the game as i go along. It will be hard to juggle between diablo and metro. I haven
t played either Metro but i was interested in the franchise. After reading about all of the added improvements it makes me want to play these games more. Im hoping metro redux sells well so the developers can work on a third game.

Its been a long time that a shooter focused on single player instead of multiplayer.

You are right, the games are finally starting to arrived which is always good.

Sir_JBizzle

Sir_JBizzle said:

@HEADESTROYER4 I think I just don't know the maps and techniques as well as some of the more seasoned folks. Mainly due to the lack of practice. Also I haven't really found a play style or load outs I'm comfortable with yet. Though I'm getting better. I just need to put in more time than I do on the weekends.

Actually I'm not too bad at taking down Titans, as my tactic is to get them from afar as a pilot lol. My problem is 8/10 times, I'll lose in a firefight with other pilots, as they they tend to be deadly quick and seem to get me out of nowhere. Though I'm sure most of my woes would be assuaged if I paid more attention to my map and surroundings. Haha.

mitcHELLspawn

mitcHELLspawn said:

@Emanouel yeah I was interested in the series as well, and I even picked up the second game (last light) but didn't play it longer than a half hour because I had so many games going at that time.. so now that they've done so much work to them I'm really excited to jump in... they're really setting a standard on how remastered versions should be handled.. they've done so much more work than say the tomb raider or last of us remaster...

And I also want to see them do well on this.. they've had a really rough go as a studio because they were based in the Ukraine so it's been pretty difficult for them to run a studio.. but I just read that they've moved and are excited to start working on new games.

HEADESTROYER4Staff

HEADESTROYER4 said:

@Sir_JBizzle

This is how I feel in any COD game since they made it a smaller map experience! In Titanfall your load-out must be tailor fitted to your playstyle. The most important piece of advice I give is to change your control scheme to "Bumper Jumper" moving jump from (A) to the left shoulder! This allows you to traverse walls while still rotating your head and aiming, it takes some time to get used to especially if you're new to it but is absolutely a game changer.

As for trigger happy pilots, try the EV-8 as your main, and the auto-pistol as a sidearm. Use radar vision to get a good bearing and possibly see them first! The Auto (not smart!) acts as a close range sub-machine type weapon but can also be lethal at a distance

If that applies to your style! Try those out for a few matches.

I should be on tonight so just fire off an invite or vice verse and we'll see if I can pass on any knowledge or skill lol If not, Saturday i'll be devoting fully to T-Fall!

Sound good?

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I will probably play Tappingo (as the sequel hits next week), continue with the extra levels in Bike Rider DX2 and play some Pokémon White 2 (level up to take on the Elite Four) or advance the story on X.

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

@mitcHELLspawn, I also read that same article about that studio and there issues setting up a studio. Its great hearing about them over coming there barriers and they plan on work on more games. They deserve all the support for the Metro Redux as i also believe they will start a standard for what remastered games should be like. Hoping they will release a 3rd metro game in the near future.

On a side note another great remaster will be the halo collection as you get a total of 4 games, which is a great value for everyone.

TasukiStaff

Well with the vid card going out on my PC and it being awhile till I can replace it my choices are a bit limited.

So it looks like I will be sticking with the consoles this weekend.

PS4 — NBA 2K14 with my son of course

Wii U — Mario Kart 8 I recently have the itch to try online mode again. Even though I am not the best I do enjoy online mode.
Super Mario 3D World — Finally got a chance to play this great game one of the best Mario games I have played in a long time.

3DS — Warioland II I got this as my Club Nintendo elite prize and I must admit its an addictive game.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@DRL

I just made it. I beat the Extra stages for Bike Rider DX2. All that stands before me now is the two hard DLC worlds. 12 hours in and the little game keeps on giving!

@sinalefa Awesome! And it sure does keep on giving. I haven't even made my way though the DLC yet. Oh, and I played Tappingo for the first time last night and had lots of fun with it. Such a clever and addicting little game.

@Emanouel @mitcHELLspawn Glad I'm not the only one stoked about Metro Redux. Haven't touched the series yet, so this should be a great place for me to get started. :)

mitcHELLspawn

mitcHELLspawn said:

@Emanouel yeah I'm definitely picking up the halo MC edition as well.
@DRL ohh yah I've actually got pretty high hype for this! I'm really up for a good single player first person shooter. I loved wolfenstein. I like how the first game of this series is more on the side of survival with limited ammo and stealth approaches and then the second has lots of action, I feel like I'm getting 2 games with 2 different play styles both of which I really enjoy.

Here's to hoping that the metro redux comes with 2000 gamer score ! 1000 per game. That would be sweet !

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

@mitcHELLspawn, glad to hear you are getting that MC collection too, maybe we can play a online co op campaign game, i know parts 1-2 are two players co-op while 3-4 are 4 players.

@DRL, You are right this redux version is the best place to start. too bad they don't have online co-op that feature alone would be such a great bonus. do you plan on reviewing the Metro Redux?

HEADESTROYER4Staff

HEADESTROYER4 said:

@sinalefa
The X/Y story has an odd pacing to it I found. It ends in a bang, and that's a good thing, also there is some wonderful post-story content to be had for the collector and the battle enthusiast alike! Once you finish the story a plethora of Pokes not available before hand become prime for dexing! The entire catalogue, I believe!

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

@mitcHELLspawn, i just added you via xbox.com mines is Mr Chimps 2008. Ive been meaning to change it over the years, but its stuck with me for a while now

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@HEADESTROYER4

Good to know. I have been playing the game for short whiles and I think I have just like 2 badges. As I mentioned there, I also have both White 2 near the end and HeartGold at the beginning of Kanto, so I am juggling too many Pokémon games. Another reason why I won't get OR/AS at launch.

Nice to hear you are enjoying Siesta Fiesta. IMO one of the best indie 3DS exclusives.

HEADESTROYER4Staff

HEADESTROYER4 said:

@sinalefa
Pokemania is a real thing! Beware! :S Three time periods, three regions, seven billion 'Mon's! One could easily loose themselves.

You and I are certainly in concurrence over Siesta Fiesta! It's such a rich and vibrant visual experience, not to mention the completely novel gameplay!

HEADESTROYER4Staff

HEADESTROYER4 said:

@Emanouel
Look to Josie's @MegaKillScreen review and the comment section for quite a few active Diablo 3'rs! I just realized that.

EDIT: A couple, active players. :p

Remember many people will read WGAYPTW every week so if you're looking to party up toss that in the comment section Friday mornings!

@Emanouel I don't think I'll be reviewing it, but someone should be. I'll know more in a day or two.

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

@HEADESTROYER4, thanks for the idea, ill see who's up for a game.

@DRL, cool i look forward to reading the review.

How are review copies send to you? they are on disc? or do they provide you with a gold mastered digital download??

@Emanouel Sometimes physical, sometimes digital. Since the Xbox One has released we've been seeing more and more download codes for full retail games. I imagine codes will start to become the norm moving forward.

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

I guess thats cool having codes, you probably have a huge 4TB Hard drive storing all the games you've gotten so far.

I also would assume going forward more games for review would be digital.

Vincent294

Vincent294 said:

This site's gotten so much larger than how it was when it started, good to see. The forums are a bit desolate though. Almost enough for a horror game setting.