Gamescom 2014: Rise Of The Tomb Raider A Timed Xbox Exclusive

Posted by Wayne Davies

Star of the show

Microsoft have announced that Rise of the Tomb Raider will be an Xbox exclusive, at least for a little while.

The news was revealed on stage at the Microsoft Gamecom media briefing, where Darrell Gallagher, Head of Product development at Crystal Dynamics, took to the stage and announced the game will release "Holiday 2015, Exclusively on Xbox".

After some confusion regarding if this would be a timed exclusive, Crystal Dynamics went to confirm that the Rise of the Tomb Raider is not a timed exclusive, but a genuine Xbox exclusive title via their official Tumblr.

Check out the E3 reveal trailer for Rise of the Tomb Raider, below.

Update: Microsoft has now clarified that what they meant by "Coming Holiday 2015, Exclusively on Xbox" was "it will be available for Xbox One and Xbox 360 but will then likely be released on other formats in 2016." Which isn't all that surprising.

[via tombraider.tumblr.com]

sakanakami

sakanakami said:

This was a huge announcement. Major Nelson kept saying that they had some big announcements for Gamescom and this was big.

MS is serious but this is a d**k move by SE and CD. Time for Sony to wake up though.

eaglebob345

eaglebob345 said:

@Gamer83 Pretty smart move, in my opinion. Sony needs to learn the hard way that competing with Microsoft where money is concerned is a VERY bad idea. Of course, none of these things from SE interest me. I just want KH3, whether it be on XB1 or PS4. Also, if it is a timed exclusive, Microsoft should stop doing those. It would be better to just buy the exclusivity outright, like Titanfall or fund the entire project like Scalebound.

TasukiStaff

Well Microsoft has to do something to get people to buy their systems after their E3 blunder last year. Its a shame that they have to play dirty though.

@eaglebob345

It's a smart play by MS, it's dumb on SE's part. Until I see cold, hard numbers, I refuse to believe the money MS paid them will make up for the lost PS4 sales, and the Definitive Edition sold better on PS4, there's a bigger TR fanbase on PS4. SE isn't hard up for the cash and it's a move that really doesn't benefit anyone except MS. That said, the only party that shouldn't be getting crapped on in this case is MS. When you're behind you need to do what you can to catch up. We'll see how this pans out, I have a hard time believing that if Titanfall, a highly hyped FPS couldn't get MS on even footing with PS4 then Rise of the Tomb Raider will have a hard time doing it. But I also believe it's not a single exclusive that moves a console but multiple and MS has their ducks lined up in a row right now, and it's looking very nice for 2015. I think we can bank on Halo 5 and Tomb Raider. And there's no reason at least two of Crackdown, Quantum Break and Scalebound shouldn't be out.

Dear PlayStation people: please tell me again which console sucks? :-P

Xbox is getting all the games, I'm so happy I bought the Xbox One, and I can't wait for this and all the other exclusives.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@eaglebob345 I agree. If they're going to buy exclusivity, make it permanent. Otherwise it means little. For instance, if TitanFall came to PS4 this holiday season, how many people would then buy an X1 for Tomb Raider? Knowing the likelihood that it would be ported within a year or so?

In any case, looks like I'm buying this game on Xbox.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Gamer83 It makes sense when you consider that it's going to be timed. That way, they're not losing a single sale. But they're gaining a whole truck load of cash from Microsoft. Only downside for them is dealing with crazed fans for the year in between the port announcement. I mean let's be honest here, it would take an awful lot of money to make up for lost sales on other platforms. And we both know they're not going to do that unless they come out benefiting.

It's a timed exclusive and they know it, they just can't say so. But what does all that mean for us? Well for me, it means I'm buying this game on Xbox when I would have otherwise been buying it on PS4.

@JaxonH

Still not convinced its timed-exclusive. MS has to know that that's not a good long-term strategy. I guess if we're talking timed like Mass Effect 1 was timed for six years then fine but if we're talking 6 months it's money poorly spent.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Gamer83 If I had to take a guess, i'd say 12 to 18 months exclusivity. But I could be wrong, maybe it's a permanent exclusive. I really don't think so though...

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

Its probably going to be timed for 1 years then hit PC and then 6-8 months after the PC version it will arrive to PS4/PS3.