Talking Point: What Games Are You Playing This Weekend? - Issue Twenty

Posted by Dave Letcavage

Team pX is on a date with Destiny

Welcome to What Games Are You Playing This Weekend, also known by the uber-popular acronym WGAYPTW. This is a laid-back feature that allows us to share our upcoming weekend gaming plans with all of you. By providing a little window into our personal lives, you can learn what makes us tick as gamers and learn which writer's gaming tastes may align with yours. But it doesn’t only work one way. Once you’ve read through the words we’ve prepared, we’d love if you would head to the comments and tell us about your weekend agenda, as well. Trust us, it's the right thing to do.

With the introduction out of the way, it's time to get this party started.

Dave Letcavage (@DRL)

Like many others, I expect to spend a fair amount of time exploring whatever I can within the Destiny beta. One of my buddies finally got around to getting an Xbox One, so he'll be adventuring with me. From what I've played so far, I can say that I'm definitely intrigued by the game. I'm having an issue with how much unused space and isolation there seems to be within the worlds, but this could just be because I haven't ventured all that deep into the beta yet. I can't wait to get back into the boots of my Hunter and kick some Fallen butt!

As I was debating last week, I've came to terms with chasing the platinum trophies in Rayman Legends and Hotline Miami. Those are both going to take a bit of time, but I'm chipping away at them daily. Also, if the wife is up for it, I'm hoping to get caught up with The Walking Dead: Season Two. The first episode didn't quite grab us the way the Season One did, so we haven't felt much of an urge to return for the rest...until now.

Because of the glowing review that it earned over at Nintendo Life, there's no way I'll be able to resist downloading Siesta Fiesta at some point this weekend. I haven't played a block breaker game in ages, and from the sound of it, this one does cool things to distinguish itself from its predecessors. I'm very excited to try it out.

Anthony Bacchus (@Anthinator)

I'm completely enamoured with the Destiny beta right now, and I'll be playing it until the servers go offline this weekend. I had some skepticism about the game before, and I still do to an extent, but the beta has alleviated many of my concerns. First and foremost, the gunplay feels incredibly tight. It reminds me of Halo but far more refined. I'm also enjoying the huge amounts of customization options for my female awoken huntress. I'll have a lot more to say about Destiny coming soon, but as of now, it's definitely won me over.

I'm about halfway through Batman: Arkham Origins, and you know what? I'm actually having an awesome time with it. Sure, it may not reach the highs of its predecessors, but this is still an Arkham game through and through. The boss encounters are intense and memorable, especially against Deathstroke and Copperhead, and the story has taken me by surprise many times already. I probably won't be finishing it this weekend, but I'll be getting pretty close.

I'll wind down the nights with some Peggle 2 when I need something a little more cheerful before bed. I love Peggle and the sequel is everything I want it to be. Even better, it's a game that my girlfriend has no problem picking up and playing. Dare I say, she may even be better than I am at it. Just don't tell her I said that, alright?

Wayne Davies (@WayneDavies89)

This weekend there will be a lot of Hearthstone and Battlefield 4. Blizzard recently released the first part of their Curse of Naxxramas adventure pack, and it made Hearthstone unplayable from the amount of players trying to participate all at once. Now that it has died down a bit and normality is resorted, I will be playing to unlock the new cards and see what silly gimmick decks I can build around them. I haven't had a chance to play the latest Battlefield 4 expansion pack yet either, so I plan on spending some time with that to see how the new Ballistic Shield from Battlefield: Hardline plays in BF4.

Anthony Cadogan (@Ubiquitous_Doom)

I shall be continuing to play the Destiny Beta on Xbox One. I feel like seeing it in videos doesn't do the game justice. I was quite skeptical about it until I had played for myself, and now that I have, I feel like I am sold on the overall premise and style of the game. It seems to be a nice mix of Halo, Mass Effect, and Borderlands, which are all games that I happen to love! Even though it would have been nice to have an extra area to explore, there is enough content to give you a good feeling of what's to come in the retail release. I will definitely be playing until the Beta ends as Bungie have said that if you play on Saturday you receive items or rewards that will carry over to the full game.

One of the really nice things about Destiny is that you have MMO-style "Emotes" on the D-Pad, so you can only do positive or neutral actions, such as sitting on the floor, dancing, pointing, and waving. In my experience, every time I traveled back to the Guardian's Tower, I was greeted by players waving or dancing. This also happens when in the open spaces of Old Russia. You and your teammates can be struggling in an intense fight when, out of nowhere, another Fireteam appears, helps you out, and then you all dance together to celebrate. It's just cool and relaxed.

Josephine Johnson (@MegaKILLScreen)

I've had to have a few weeks off gaming unfortunately as my workload at my job has become overwhelming, but I won't stand for it any longer. I am back! I picked a pretty good time to return too, with the Destiny Beta in full swing demonstrating that shooters really can be visually beautiful without losing any of their edge.

Hearthstone: Curse of Naxxramus has me pulling my hair out in frustration at the heroic difficulty, but has delighted me with new cards and challenges. I still haven't won more than four keys in arena, but my priest is coming along nicely in ranked mode.

World of Warcraft. I've started listening to the Rooster Teeth podcast from episode 1. There is a lot of Warcraft talk. I am also playing Hearthstone...I'm just going to give in now and assume that by the end of the weekend I will have resubscribed to WOW as this is what always happens. I imagine that until Diablo III gets its Xbox One release, WOW will be on this list weekly.

So you made it this far, huh? That means it's your turn! What games are YOU playing this weekend? Share your plans with us in the comments.

Sponsored links by Taboola

Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations (360) Really love the combat in these games, the story mode in this one is kinda lacking though.

Killer Instinct (One) Just had to pick up the Ultra Edition for $30 with deals with gold, such a awesome game!!

Diablo 3 (PS3) Getting back into it before the release of Ultimate Evil Edition, which is gonna be weird to have to start my characters all over again (buying it on Xbox One :-P)

Destiny (One) Giving the beta a try since its open to gold members now.

BetweenTheTrees

BetweenTheTrees said:

i will not be playing destiny. i've played through the beta quite a bit and i want to wait for the full release. instead i'll be playing some titanfall, that's about it probably.

Dohv

Dohv said:

Destiny Beta (PS4)- Was just doing missions in Old Russia for the whole time, but I might fire up some PvP.

MLB 14 The Show (PS4)- Just finished the All-Star game. I hit a walk off HR to give the win to the AL. Now the AL will have home field advantage for the World Series

Wolfenstein (Xbone)- Might have to fire up my Xbone and get this game out of the way before The Last of Us Remastered drops next week.

@SunnyShores How long did it take you to get through the beta? How many missions were involved? I've been hearing it's shorter than anticipated.

heyzeus002

heyzeus002 said:

Mario kart 8 and Battlefield 4 (ps4) will probably be doing the rounds for me. I do have the destiny beta (ps4) but after being initially impressed with some satisfying and meaty gunplay and excellent lighting ive grown a little bored.it felt quite repetitive to me after a while and I probably won't be getting the full version.

I'll mostly be working this weekend but if I find the time to game... As usual MLB 14 The Show and the Destiny beta one more time before it ends.

@Dohv

Off topic but if you're a big baseball fan like myself I have to ask what you think about the All-Star game deciding home field for the World Series because to me in a sport that goes 162 games it is absolutely absurd to have what is essentially an exhibition decide who gets to be at home for the majority of the championship series. If ever there was a sport that the team with the better regular season record should get rewarded it's baseball.

BetweenTheTrees

BetweenTheTrees said:

@DRL
sadly it was short, about 5 missions I believe, I ripped through it in one sitting.
but it does leave you wanting more, waiting for September is going to be the end of me.

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

Im looking forward to playing mostly some Destiny (Beta) on XBOX ONE as well as some Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (Xbox One) as well.

Just had a blast finishing tomb raider definitive edition this week. I've had my XBOX one for less then a month and i've finished 2 games (Dead Rising 3 and Tomb Raider)

I had been having a blast with the xbox one, i know people may complain with the storages of games, but I'm happy as i have time to finish each game before the next one's out.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I have been waiting forever to get Siesta Fiesta, so of course I got it as soon as I got home (after taking my dog for a walk, as it was a beautiful Thursday afternoon) and as anticipated I am having a blast. A very original, cheerful and colorful offering.

I also got Bike Rider DX2 since I heard it was good, so I am juggling both games. Maybe I will beat Guacamelee and if possible, Flowerworks HD.

BadWolf09

BadWolf09 said:

@sinalefa I just started Siesta Fiesta yesterday, seems good so far. And... thanks to your mention of Bike Rider DX2 I may have to get back to it and beat the last few levels that have me stuck.

@SunnyShores I ended up playing through all of it with a buddy last night. I definitely had fun, but I do have some concerns — which I'll address next week in a feature we're working on. Either way, I'll be buying Destiny when it releases. At the very least it should offer me a few solid weeks of entertainment.

@sinalefa @BadWolf09 I also need to finish up Bike Rider DX2! I was a good way into the extra levels when I got distracted by Guacamelee and totally forgot about it. It's no walk in the park anymore, that's for sure.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@DRL @BadWolf09

I am getting every single medal and gold crown before moving on. Currently in Stage 10. What I am not sure of is if I should get the first one. I love this one, but maybe it will be a downgrade after playing 2?

And for the record, I beat Guacamelee like an hour ago. Did not get 100% though.

@sinalefa I'd say the original Bike Rider DX is worth checking out when you're looking for something to play between new releases; it has the same solid core gameplay. And nice job on Guac! If you go back and aim for 100% and locate all orbs, you'll earn an alternative ending. How do you feel about the game as a whole now that you've wrapped it up?

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

I'm trying to not hop between so many games, and just take it one (or two) game(s) at a time.

PS4: nothing
Wii U: nothing
X1: nothing

Vita: Rayman Origins
3DS: nothing

Wii: Zelda Skyward Sword

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@DRL

Thanks for the advices. Overall I am very pleased with Guacamelee. The aesthetics are awesome, the game has a lot of charm and humour (plus tons of Spanish and Easter Eggs), and the game is very fair. I liked the abundance of checkpoints, how your life is replenished whenever you touch an altar and falling on a bottomless pit won't kill you, so you are not afraid of experimenting.

Hard to fault you for beating it so many times. Is there anything new if you beat the game on Hard?

@JaxonH I started doing the same thing this past week. It's hard to focus on so many games at once. Just finished all trophies for Runner 2 and Surge Deluxe, so now the wife and I are catching up with Walking Dead Season Two, and then it's onto Rogue Legacy and I'm not sure what else. I'd love to go back and replay Rayman Origins on the Vita, like you're doing, but I'm still chasing the last trophies in Legends, and I want to finish that first.

@sinalefa Yep, those are all great design decisions. The game is challenging in the right ways, and forgiving where it needs to be — I love that about it. Hard mode changes up the number of enemies and their toughness, and it turns some of that green lava to red lava, which makes for insta-deaths. You also take more damage when getting hit, I believe. Outside of that, I don't think much changes. If you do give Guac a play on hard mode, you're best utilizing the alternate costumes. They can really help in certain situations.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@BadWolf09 @DRL

I just beat the main game (DX2) with all the medals and gold crowns. Now I just need to beat the DLC. A very addictive game, never really frustrating.

AnthinatorStaff

Anthinator said:

@DRL You seem to be on a trophy-kick as of late. Not sure if you knew this already, but if you got the platinum for Sound Shapes already on Vita, you'll get all the trophies unlocked when you boot up the PS3 version too. 2 separate platinums for one game!

@sinalefa All of the extra stages, too? They basically double the game's length, and that's where the challenge really intensifies.

@Anthinator I totally have been! It's allowing me to squeeze something extra out of a few games I love (Rayman Legends, Guacamelee, Hotline Miami) so I'm loving it. And thanks for the Sound Shapes tip. I'll have to give that a shot. I actually just hooked my PS3 back up so I could check out Vessel while it's still free through PS+. You have great timing!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@DRL

Nope, just the twelve regular stages. I had no idea there was extra content beyond the DLC. Then the game is an even better value.