Talking Point: What Games Are You Playing This Weekend? - Issue Nineteen

Posted by Dave Letcavage

Keepin' it casual

Welcome to What Games Are You Playing This Weekend, also known by the uber-popular acronym WGAYPTW. This is a laid-back feature that allows us to share our upcoming weekend gaming plans with all of you. By providing a little window into our personal lives, you can learn what makes us tick as gamers and learn which writer's gaming tastes may align with yours. But it doesn’t only work one way. Once you’ve read through the words we’ve prepared, we’d love if you would head to the comments and tell us about your weekend agenda, as well. Trust us, it's the right thing to do.

With the introduction out of the way, it's time to get this party started.

Ken Barnes (@SuperKMx)

2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil — Yes, I know the World Cup is over. Yes, I know England didn't even get out of the group stages. No, I don't care. I'll still be trying to get my plucky Faroe Islands team out of the European qualifying rounds and into the finals proper. I've only attempted it approximately 800,000 times so far without success.

Mega Drive Platformer — I don't know which one just yet and am open to suggestions, but I'm in the mood to go back and fire up a platform title or two from the Sega Mega Drive / Genesis. I'm thinking that the likes of Aladdin and Rocket Knight Adventures will at least make the shortlist...

Another World — I've got the review duties for this one, so I'll be diving in to see if its even possible for this HD remake to even think about reaching the heights of the Commodore Amiga version that I loved so much.

Dave Letcavage (@DRL)

Since my relationship with Vita has been rekindled, I've been spending my free time doing a bit of trophy hunting. I've already 100%'d Guacamelee and its DLC, and I'm only an achievement or two away from earning the platinum in Sound Shapes, so I'll need to find a new game to keep me busy. I've been considering going back to Hotline Miami and tying up loose ends, but I'm worried that earning an A+ on every chapter may be much more time consuming than I'd like. For that same reason, I've been reluctant to chase the last couple trophies in Rayman Legends, which would require me to compete online daily. I have feeling I'll roll with Mutant Blobs Attack and Surge Deluxe. They're sounding like the right speed.

When I'm looking to shift my entertainment to a bigger screen, I'll be playing through Abyss Odyssey for review. With platforming, deep and quick combat, and RPG elements, I expect it will be right up my alley. What the developer has done with procedurally generated stage design, which is said to react to player skill levels, sounds genuinely interesting. So let's hope this one delivers!

Anthony Bacchus (@Anthinator)

Last week I know I said that I was going to finish all of The Wolf Among Us, but I did get a little bit sidetracked. The good news is that I just finished episode three and I intend to wrap it up THIS weekend. I do have to say that I'm immensely impressed so far with the storytelling and mystery Telltale has created. While I don't think it tops The Walking Dead, I'm still incredibly invested in every decision I make Bigby do, and there are some pretty BIG ones. I'm really looking forward to seeing how everything ends.

I love everything about the Arkham series, but I never found myself eager to play Batman: Arkham Origins — until now that is. I ended up picking it up for a pretty decent price and, with the delay of Batman: Arkham Knight into 2015, I'm thinking now is a good time to jump back into the bat suit. I'm not expecting Origins to top Asylum or City, but I'm ready to feel like Batman and take down some bad guys again.

When I'm not at home, I'm going to play Monument Valley on my iPhone. I've heard nothing but excellent things about this unique puzzler, and having played through a few levels now, it's already shaping up to be one of my favourite iOS games this year.

Eric Santana (@EricDS)

I, like most other gamers, have been waiting to get my hands on Destiny. The Beta starts this week on PlayStation platforms, and I can't wait to join some friends in some co-op missions. Still haven't decided what class I want to play as, though, but I've been leaning towards the Titan build. I will be playing on both consoles, but need to wait a bit more for the Xbox One/360 Beta.

Some of my fighting games have also had the dust blown off after being inspired by Evo this last week. Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition was a Games With Gold download last month and it's getting some play. Since I'm pretty bad at Street Fighter, I plan to put lots of time into training mode so I can challenge my co-workers and participate in online matches.

Outside of those two titles, I'll be continuing to level my Dark Souls 2 character to prepare for the new DLC coming out later this month. With new bosses and equipment, I want to make sure I'm ready for the challenges to come.

Emma H. Pira (@PeTitosaurus)

Since I'm away on vacation at the moment, my game library is very much limited to iOS games played on my iPad or iPhone. So while flying back home this weekend, I'll be playing Monument Valley, which is currently on sale in the AppStore. It's a very pretty puzzle game seemingly influenced by the 2D pixel game Fez, as well as lending aesthetics from PlayStation 3 hit Journey.

I will probably also be aiming for total chaos and the pandemic apocalypse of Earth in Plague Inc. It's a game I've had for a very long time now and keep coming back to. Slightly morbid, yes, but still relaxing, and your inner evil mastermind will laugh when you succeed.

Other than that I'll continue to hunt high-scores in Threes! as per usual. I wouldn't say I'm addicted, but... yeah, maybe addicted is the right word after all. I'm completely addicted.

So you made it this far, huh? That means it's your turn! What games are YOU playing this weekend? Share your plans with us in the comments.

heyzeus002

heyzeus002 said:

Will try to get as much time on destiny beta as I can .played it last night a little (after a lot of problems on psn trying to dl the thing) pretty impressed so far but still not sure about getting it so will try make my mind up. The new bf4 map pack has made me fire that up again and some rage inducing mario kart 8 online with the wife will be doing the rounds for me. Also I have a code for that zombie driver game on xbox 1 if anyone wants it. I won that comp here last week but judging by reviews im not gonna like it so id rather give oit to someone who might enjoy it as opposed to leaving on my hdd to die a slow painful and lonely death.if anyone wants iit message me on xbl my tag is 'heyzeus003'.first one gets it.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I will finish Armillo and will probably try to play some more Pokémon X. I could start Wind Waker HD, but I will leave it for next week, as there is a holiday for me.

kingston589

kingston589 said:

Im gonna finsih ep. 2 of wolf among us. Also gonna play some cod ghosts online and kick it old school with a bit of yoshis island. Might dable in some pokemon y and train my ampharos.

CoD Ghosts (One) Playing some Team Deathmatch multiplayer, even though I really suck and I'm basically everyones target practice in the game lol

Ryse Son of Rome (One) I love the combat in this game, but I can tell alread this game is way too short, which is too bad cause I really love playing it.

Assassin's Creed (360) never played it before, it's pretty fun so far.

The Simpsons Tapped Out (Android) I'm a sucker for anything Simpsons related lol

kingston589

kingston589 said:

@hydeks try using the mtar with a silencer. Dont use a second weapon or grenades or combat knife. Then fill up with good perks. Trust me i sucked to but i used this combo and i got wayy better. Also put a grip on it.

@kingston589 ok thanks I will! I'm also so use to playing Halo where I can easily run up to people and punch them and I have a shield so I don't instantly die, I find in CoD you gotta really get into the hiding and covering before you can get any good at it.

heyzeus002

heyzeus002 said:

@EternalDragonX ive just checked and it seems you are the first so congratulations. Either post your gamertag on here or send me a msg on xbl at heyzeus003 and ill send the code.

TasukiStaff

Destiny, Destiny, and more Destiny. Oh and maybe a bit of World of Warcraft for good measures.

heyzeus002

heyzeus002 said:

@EternalDragonX ive sent the code to you.at least I think I have anyway, there was no notification to say msg was sent on my end.hope you've got it iff not just let me know ill resend it

EternalDragonX

EternalDragonX said:

@heyzeus002 Yeah mine either I sent 2 messages from my xb1smartglass with no confirmation. I never got your message. My email is marklindsayfernandes@yahoo.com or just send it to me from your xb1. Thanks again

EricDSStaff

EricDS said:

Glad to see all the people playing Destiny :D Really has pulled me in.

Dohv

Dohv said:

Destiny Beta (PS4)-Good guy Sony where kind enough to send me a beta code via email even though I didn't even pre order the game yet.

MLB 14 The Show (PS4)- Of course I'm playing The Show.

Wolfenstein The New Order (Xb1)- Almost finished got about 3 or 4 more chapters.

MLB 14 The Show (PS4) and... the Destiny beta. From what I've played, September can't get here quick enough.

@hydeks
Just camp, unfortunately that seems to be how most people play CoD these days.

It's only Friday night and I've already unlocked all trophies in Mutant Blobs Attack, and I'm one bronze away from completing Surge Deluxe. Can any Vita owners here recommend a downloadable game with fun and not-crazy-hard-to-get trophies?

@heyzeus002 Such a nice person, you are. :)

heyzeus002

heyzeus002 said:

@DRL thank you very much.olli olli and bit trip runner2 are along with stardust and guacamelee my best dl games.cant remember the difficulty of tropies however. More to the point, dont be a trophy fiend and just play a great game man, c'mon!!! Seriously, olli olli especially is brilliant, highly recommended

@heyzeus002 You're welcome. And the trophy hunting has nothing to do with bragging rights, nor would I buy a crappy game just because it's easy to 100%. The reason I like chasing trophies/achievements so much is because they extend the life of a game and add more challenge into the mix. I have a better sense of accomplishment when I beat a game AND unlock all trophies, as opposed to simply playing through a campaign — which is rarely a challenge these days.

But anyway, to respond to your suggestions: I already have OlliOlli and had to stop playing it because it was putting the hurt on my left joystick — played it SO, SO much for a couple weeks. I've knocked out Runner 2 on Wii U, and I'm waiting on a better sale or PS+ promotion to reacquire it for Vita. I have/love Stardust, and I'm slowly working at those trophies. And as far as Guacamelee goes, yeah, I've 100%'d that. I hate to admit it but, between Xbox One and Vita, I've beat Guac three times in the past three weeks. Seriously can't get enough!

heyzeus002

heyzeus002 said:

@DRL too true, do feel it adds llongevitybut I only get the trophy/achievement bug with a select few games as im not really skilled enough to acquire loads. With regards to olli olli, funnily enough thats exactly the reason I stopped playing it too, I noticed the vita left stick making a noise and upon closer inspection it turns out out it was crying from the pain of olli olli sessions

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

I finally finished Dead Rising 3 with the S ending and I'm taking a break from it and i just started with tomb raider. Im enjoying the new tomb raider game, ill be playing that until the Destiny Beta goes live next week. Who else is getting in destiny next week??

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@DRL

It is the second time that you say that you hate to admit that you beat Guacamelee three times. I don't get it because it is a great game. You should feel proud instead.

@Emanouel Nice work! I haven't played a ton of DR3, but what I have played was pretty tough, so I imagine that was a satisfying win. And as far as the Destiny beta goes, I think majority of the pX staff will be checking it out. After seeing a couple Push Square friends rave on Twitter about the PS4 alpha and beta, I'm getting crazy eager for the 23rd to get here. Should be a blast!

@sinalefa Haha. Yeah, I'm proud, but I'm reaching the point where I feel guilty for replaying the same game when there are plenty of things I need to catch up on. It's just so ridiculously good that I can't stay away! I'm even thinking about getting another playthrough started if I can convince the wife to get involved. If I still want more after that, well... then it might be time to consider an intervention.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@DRL

Don't feel bad about it. I beat the Wonderful 101 four times because I loved the gameplay and the humour so much, and I had a ton of untouched games too. That is the mark of a great game.

Emanouel

Emanouel said:

@DRL, i got hooked on DR3 and i put 3-4 hours daily into it for around 2 weeks. finished the game with the bad ending, started again and it was a lot easier. The game gets easier after your first play through. I ended 1st one at level 32. i was at level 50 by the 2nd so it made things very easy.

I had a blast playing destiny on the Ps4 when it was in Alpha state, very good game. The hard decision is if i should pass on Diablo 3 as its out in a month while destiny is out in 5-6 weeks. I know ill enjoy diablo, but i lose interest once destiny is out.

@heyzeus002 I caved and (re)bought Runner 2 last night. I even purchased the Character Pack so I could play as Quote from Cave Story. :)

heyzeus002

heyzeus002 said:

@DRL I've lost count of the times I've rebought certain games over multiple platforms. Though entirely understandable in the case of guac and runner 2. Two of the very few memorable indie games for me personally