Talking Point: What Games Are You Playing This Weekend? - Issue Eighteen

Posted by Dave Letcavage

WGAYPTW becomes an adult

Welcome to What Games Are You Playing This Weekend, also known by the uber-popular acronym WGAYPTW. This is a laid-back feature that allows us to share our upcoming weekend gaming plans with all of you. By providing a little window into our personal lives, you can learn what makes us tick as gamers and learn which writer's gaming tastes may align with yours. But it doesn’t only work one way. Once you’ve read through the words we’ve prepared, we’d love if you would head to the comments and tell us about your weekend agenda, as well. Trust us, it's the right thing to do.

With the introduction out of the way, it's time to get this party started.

Ken Barnes (@SuperKMx)

Ducktales Remastered — It was in the Xbox Ultimate Games Sale this week, and I had to take the plunge. I really and truly don't know why I didn't buy it when it first came out. I guess I was just snowed under. I guess it was one of the bad luck tales that they talk about in the intro.

Titanfall — Every day, I get the feeling that I should load up Titanfall and play a few rounds. Every. Single. Day. Until earlier this week, I hadn't played it for about two months. Looking to correct this oversight this weekend by more than likely propping up the leaderboard in every single round that I play. As usual.

Parodius — It's the weekend. It's me. Therefore, there has to be something retro involved. I'm taking a break from the Metal Slug series for a weekend, and I'll be practicing my shooter skills with Parodious, an often funny side-scrolling arcade shooter that is a real skill test.

Dave Letcavage (@DRL)

This weekend, when I'm not working, I plan to spend time with my Vita. I haven't been giving it the attention it deserves lately, and I fully intend to rectify that. Luftrausers will be at the top of the agenda considering I'm already hooked on it. I've also been slowly working my way through PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate and Sound Shapes, and I'd be ecstatic if I could wrap both of those up. Normally I wouldn't mind dragging them out a bit longer, but since I have Dragon's Crown and Injustice in transit to my house, I desperately need to clear a few unfinished games that have been lingering for a while. It's also hard for me to boot the Vita without playing Super Stardust Delta, so just assume that will get a little love too.

Anthony Bacchus (@Anthinator)

This weekend I'm looking for something to play that my girlfriend can enjoy with me. She isn't much of a gamer but has, in the past, liked watching me play story-driven games. Since I've yet to really give The Wolf Among Us a proper play past episode one — and now that the final episode is out — I'm thinking now is the perfect time to experience the whole thing in one fell swoop. So far, I thought the first episode was excellent but I've heard the rest of the series is even better.

I'm also very tempted to check out the Whistleblower DLC for Outlast. As terrified as I was playing Outlast for review, I'm still strangely interested in what Red Barrels has crafted and maybe this extra bit of playable content will shed some light on the games' story, which in my opinion, left a lot to be desired.

Rounding out the weekend, I'll probably kick back with some Borderlands on PS3 and try to wrap up some of the add-on content I missed back in the day. On a side note, Battleborn from Gearbox is looking pretty cool so far, isn't it?

Anthony Cadogan (@Ubiquitous_Doom)

The Wolf Among Us — It turns out that I completely missed Episode 4 of The Wolf Among Us. That means, with the conclusion having just released, I'm an episode behind everyone else. I'm not quite sure how that slipped past me considering I've really been enjoying the series. I think the episodes have improved with each entry and, since the first was so good, that in itself is impressive. With the ending of Ep. 3 being crazy, I can't wait to get back into the action — you don't mess with the Sherrif! It's time to find out what's going on in Fabletown and show the villains why they should be afraid of The Big Bad Wolf.

Brittany Vincent (@MolotovCupcake)

This week, I've been trying something a little different and have been primarily working through some iOS titles while I'm caught in limbo between apartment-hunting and settling into a future that's going to be a lot pricier than what I'm used to. In the interim I've been playing the Perfect Worlds MMO, Swordsman, and have been having a surprising amount of fun with it. While it's generally quite the generic grindfest, I was gifted with a bonus package for review so I've been strutting around on a fire horse and colorful samurai-esque regalia. It's been a lot of fun to blaze through the first few levels and accumulate new powers — plus, I'm part of the Wu-Tang teachings, so effectively I can just say I'm part of the Wu-Tang Clan. And I think that's something special. I'll play more over the weekend!

So you made it this far, huh? That means it's your turn! What games are YOU playing this weekend? Share your plans with us in the comments.

SunnyShores

SunnyShores said:

I'll be playing some titanfall, i forgot about the dlc and haven't touched it yet.
and some MK8 online, all the while eagerly awaiting Destiny beta on ps4

kensredemption

kensredemption said:

I got into the PlayStation Now beta so I'll be giving it a try this weekend. Aside from that, though, I picked up How to Survive on my Wii U. Wanted to play that as well.

Dohv

Dohv said:

MLB 14 The Show (PS4)-My go to game for the longest time. Love it. I'm like 36-21 on my current franchise.

Pixel Junk Shooter Ultimate(PS4)- This game is a lot of fun to play. I prefer it more than Resogun personally.

Forza 5 (Xbox One)-Just got it a couple days ago. And so far I feel pretty "meh" about it. I can only do about 3-4 races before I get bored. No big deal since I only payed 20 dollars for it.

@Dohv I've been playing PixelJunk Shooter on my Vita like crazy this past week, and now that I'm halfway through the game, I've decided to go back and 100% everything because I'm enjoy it that much. There are a few design choices that I don't particularly like — how easy it is to die, no checkpoints, having to play through multiple stages back-to-back — but I'm coming to terms with them now. What area are you in?

Dohv

Dohv said:

@DRL I'm not that far into the game. I'm about on the 3rd or 4th level I think ? And the fact that there's no checkpoints really annoying.
That game seems perfect for PS Vita. I really need to get me a PS Vita. But first I also need a Wii U too. Can't decide which to get first. Lol.

Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition (One) So much fun!

Ducktales Remastered (360) for the price, I wanted to play it again :-)

Assassin's Creed (360) I never played it, and I managed to find a brand new copy, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Dead Rising 3 (One) I'll be going through the story some more. Mindlessly killing zombies is so much fun lol

@Dohv I suggest the Wii U, I've had both consoles and the Wii U has better, more enjoyable games available for it now. But no matter what you get, both systems have their perks.

kingston589

kingston589 said:

Im playing:
Katamari forever
Mario golf world tour
Super mario sunshine
And sonic 06. I hope my 360 doesnt die from it

Dohv

Dohv said:

@hydeks Thanks I'm definitely leaning more towards the Wii U. It has a strong enough library to warrant a purchase. And a lot of exclusives on the way too.

@Dohv It feels great on the Vita! Perfect fit, honestly. I spent majority of the night playing, and I'm almost finished with world five. I'm hoping to wrap up the game tomorrow morning/afternoon before Dragon's Crown arrives. :)

@kingston589 Why are you subjecting yourself to such horrors?! :p I've heard nothing but worse-than-terrible things about that Sonic, so I've stayed far, far away.

SunnyShores

SunnyShores said:

@DRL
i haven't touched pixel junk shooter yet, it's just sitting on my PS4. what is it even? I have far toO many games in my back log

@DRL Sonic 06 does really suck lol The Sonic campaign is the only tolerable part of the game, its terribly buggy, and the load times are freakin ridiculous!

heyzeus002

heyzeus002 said:

Titanfall.didnt play it for ages after launch and got back into it of late.the odd race of mk 8 and zelda wind waker hd are doing the rounds at the moment for me

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@Dohv

Add another vote to the Wii U team. Unlike the Vita, Nintendo is putting their AAA titles on it, so it has a great present and a bright future. And since you already have the other two consoles, you are not missing any third party games either.

heyzeus002

heyzeus002 said:

@Dohv id definitely recommend the wii u right now.some great games available now and more on the horizon. Like sinalefa says, with the wii u you're at least going to get nintendo's triple A stuff guaranteed. And the off tv play is genuinely awesome and a great option to have depending on your situation with family watching tv etc.i own all 3 8th gen consoles and for my money the wii u off tv play is the best feature out of all 3. The ps4 touchpad thing would be right at the bottom of that list incidentally, bloody pointless..