Talking Point: What Games Are You Playing This Weekend? - Issue Fifteen

Posted by Dave Letcavage

Spikes, Knights, Stryders, & Tykes

Welcome to What Games Are You Playing This Weekend, also known by the uber-popular acronym WGAYPTW. This is a laid-back feature that allows us to share our upcoming weekend gaming plans with all of you. By providing a little window into our personal lives, you can learn what makes us tick as gamers and learn which writer's gaming tastes may align with yours. But it doesn’t only work one way. Once you’ve read through the words we’ve prepared, we’d love if you would head to the comments and tell us about your weekend agenda, as well. Trust us, it's the right thing to do.

With the introduction out of the way, it's time to get this party started.

Dave Letcavage (@DRL)

I need to confess that I'm madly in love with 1001 Spikes. I've already completed the story mode in full and collected all of the skulls, but there are also three arcade modes that I'm looking to milk for all they're worth. It's surprising how well the game plays both in single player and multiplayer, and I can't get enough of its tricks, traps, and challenges. If you can vividly recall the 8-bit days and love yourself a retro excursion here and there, 1001 Spikes gets my highest recommendation. Just make sure that you're ready to bleed a bit, because it will kick your butt up and down the block with zero intention of ever delivering an apology.

Since I've been fortunate enough to get an early look at Shovel Knight, I plan to dig away at that a bit this weekend too. I can't say much at this point because of embargoes and whatnot, but I will say that between Shovel Knight and 1001 Spikes, I feel like the world's happiest child all over again. This is a game to get hyped for, and one that's assuredly going to cause a big stir in the retro-gaming community when it launches next week.

Lastly, taking care of my Mii community in Tomodachi Life has become a regular part of my daily routine. Sure, the game is actually pretty shallow and almost criminally repetitive, but I'm finding it to be such a relaxing experience that I'm hardly bothered by these shortcomings. Plus, it's quite the comical piece of entertainment. When the city is populated with your real-life friends, celebrities, and various cartoon characters, witnessing them enter into unlikely relationships is surreal....and equally hilarious.

Anthony Bacchus (@Anthinator)

Thanks to an unexpected stealth release, I'll be spending some quality time with Outlast this weekend on Xbox One. I love survival horror games and I've been itching to play this one since I first laid eyes on it through various Let's Plays on YouTube. Some people may call me crazy, but I'm going to dim the lights and don my headphones before exploring the mental asylum in Outlast. Wish me luck!

When I need something cheery, I'll get back to burning some rubber in Mario Kart 8. I think this might be the strongest and best Mario Kart I've ever played. And man is it gorgeous. I'm digging the small additions to the kart formula and the remixed retro tracks are all fantastic. I'm thrilled the game is getting the attention and sales it so deserves.

If I have some time, I'll get back to cleaning up some side activities in Watch Dogs. I keep scratching away at it hoping I'll make a dent in my progression wheel. Slowly and surely, I'll make it happen.

Eric Santana (@EricDS)

My home has been bombarded with World Cup activities, so the games I'll be playing this weekend are to entertain others while the festivities are being watched. A favorite of my family and friends is Rock Band 3, and with the ability for 5 of us to play at the same time, it will definitely see some play. (Bass guitar is my position of choice)

Mario Kart 8 will also have more hours and laughs thrown its way. I'm still amazed at how well it plays and how pretty it looks. I'm only missing a 3 more stamps until I have them all, so maybe we can get those out of the way this weekend, too. I've yet to venture much into the online outside of private lobbies, but I'm at the point where I'd like to test my racing skills with other drivers around the world.

If I can find time outside of football and company, the single player of Witcher 2 is primed for a replay. With Witcher 3: Wild Hunt coming out soon, reliving some old adventures of Geralt of Rivia doesn't sound like a bad idea. The alchemy and combat systems are among my personal favorites. If you haven't given it a go, now is as good a time as ever.

Anthony Cadogan (@Ubiquitous_Doom)

Titanfall — I plan to head back to Titanfall this weekend to dig into the new content. As our very own Emma recently reported, Respawn has added Titan Burn Cards, some new aesthetics, and audio customizations for our Titans. The biggest additions of all, though, are the two new game modes—these are 2 vs. 2 Last Titan Standing and Marked For Death. I am a big fan of normal Last Titan Standing, so a smaller version could make it even more tactical, and the V.I.P-style Marked For Death seems to be very interesting. It will also be cool to be able to add a personal touch to our Titans!

Worms: Battlegrounds — I have recently completed the main story, defeated the evil Lord Crowley-Mesmer, and saved the Wormverse (I know — yes, thank you), so now I think I am ready to take my worm warfare online and cause "ultimate mayhem." (it's funny because that's what the last Worms 3D game was called ;))

Emma H. Pira (@PeTitosaurus)

As always, I'll be playing Titanfall. I could probably make Titanpilot my second name and no one would raise an eyebrow. I'm so hyped for the update and to get to play it with friends. They don't know it yet, but they'll be playing it with me.

Then I'll be "playing" Xbox Fitness. I've got some sets to catch up on as I had a dip on Tuesday with headaches and a fever. I'm really starting to get into it though. I've been warned about some of the pitfalls and encouraged to try some things I may not have tried otherwise. And it's also made me want to play some more Just Dance 2014. I've only tried that once and I love dancing, so it doesn't make sense why I haven't played it more. Also I need to practice so that I can beat my niece once she visits.

Josephine Johnson (@MegaKILLScreen)

I'll be sticking with the house favorites this week by playing Battlefield 4 and Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare. I bought the season pass for BF4 but I haven't played it in months, so I really must get back to it — especially since there'll be loads of new maps to try out!

When I'm not shooting zombies with peas, spikes or sunshine, I'll be bludgeoning them with a baseball bat wrapped in razor wire in the fantastically ridiculous Super Ultra Dead Rising 3 Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX plus Alpha. I was so excited that I started downloading this before they got to the end of the trailer in the Microsoft E3 conference - my Dead Rising obsession is getting out of hand!

Brittany Vincent (@MolotovCupcake)

This weekend is my time to take a brief respite from E3's taxing crunch period, even if I only get Sundays off to relax with my work schedule. Yeah, I work and write full-time — it's difficult! But when I get five minutes to myself here and there you can bet I'll be taking in some Tomodachi Life on my trusty 3DS to see if my star couple may finally be ready for a baby. After spending some time as soul mates, I think they're ready. Meanwhile, Sherlock Holmes and Daria are dating. The ensuing drama should be absolutely hilarious.

If time permits, I may get back into Killer is Dead for Xbox 360. I've got some Gigolo Missions to complete, and I don't care who knows it. Now, if only I could get my hands on Suda's next project right about now. That would make my weekend complete.

So you made it this far, huh? That means it's your turn! What games are YOU playing this weekend? Share your plans with us in the comments.

Sponsored links by Taboola

TasukiStaff

Playing Dust: An Elysian Tale. Just picked that up for 5 dollars during GOG's summer sale. Also will probably play around with the Playstation Now beta.

BetweenTheTrees

BetweenTheTrees said:

Mariokart 8 of course, and watchdogs for ps4. i'm obsessed. and maybe some titanfall for X1. maybe. but most likely i'll end up just playing guild wars 2 all weekend.

kingston589

kingston589 said:

Ill be racing somemore in mk8. Other than that i have no idea haha. I guess ill just pick something randomly out of my cabinets.

Batman Arkham Asylum and City (360), wanted to replay the Batman games :-P

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@DRL

I guess your bio explains perfectly why you also work at NintendoLife.

I started coming here after E3 because I felt they had better games than Sony so I guess people may see me more often. I am still surprised at how few comments most articles get here.

Anyway, this weekend I may conclude my Bayonetta playthrough on Hard, and I will be playing some Pushmo World and MK8.

Dohv

Dohv said:

PS4 I'll be playing MLB 14 The Show and maybe some PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate and MGSV Ground Zeroes, since The Phantom Pain gameplay demo has got me wanting to play some MGS.

As for my Xbox One she won't get much action until this Fall/Holiday when games like Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive, Halo MCC, and Ori And The Blind Forest come out. But I still haven't finished Wolfenstein The New Order. So maybe it's time to dust her off.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Wii U- Pushmo World
PS4- Wolfenstein
X1- Killer Instinct
3DS- Mario Golf World Tour
Vita- Borderlands 2

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@sinalefa

Hey what's up! Nice to see you here. I just joined recently myself when I got my Xbox One, and no, it's not like Nintendo Life or even Push Square. Very small membership, but a solid one nonetheless. And most members on this site are multi-console owners like us, so no fanboy malarkey (which is nice). Just guys (and girls) who like games.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@JaxonH

Hi there, Jaxon! I saw your signature and I thought you had the One only preordered, so congrats on yet another backlog, lol! As I mentioned there, the E3 games (specially Kamiya's Scalebound) have me considering a One over a PS4. In any case I won't get it until 2015. I would like to hear your impressions on the system and the games, and how does it compare to Sony's machine. Thanks!

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@sinalefa

Well I don't have any games for it yet besides Killer Instinct, but from what I can tell the graphics are pretty much right on par with PS4. Unless you count frames I don't think there's really much advantage either way. PS4 stands on end and Xbox One doesn't, guess that's something of note to consider. Um, I like the PS4 controller better as far as the touch pad and shoulder buttons go, but I like the X1 controller better for the analogues and ergonomic fit. My only issue with the X1 controller is that it's kind of an awkward reach for L1/R1, similar to the Wii U gamepad if that helps explain it. The L2/R2 are perfectly right there for your fingers though. Oh, and I don't like that X1 controllers still take batteries. But, like the Wiimote, you can buy an official chargeable battery and solve the problem. That's what I did. Don't go 3rd party though. Get the official Play n Charge Kit.

Menus are about equal I'd say, although the Xbox allows you to run your cable TV through the console, which is awesome, especially if you have voice commands to change channels, turn on the TV, etc. I bought the version without Kinect and I'm regretting it now, because I still have to use my remote to turn the TV on/off, change the channel, etc. Only now do I realize the value of the Kinect for multimedia, something I didn't think I'd be interested in when I bought it.

Both consoles fill up that 500gb FAST, even buying physical games. Tomb Raider- 40+ GB, Killzone- 40+ GB, Wolfenstein- 40+ GB. I've already eaten up 160GB on my PS4, and I only own 6 physical games. So the fact the Xbox One allows for external storage is a huge plus, although I wouldn't be surprised if Sony announced something soon.

All in all though, it really comes down to the games. And for me, personally, I'd probably say the scales are tipped slightly in the PS4's favor right now, considering Infamous, Transistor and TLoU Remaster which releases next month. But that's only because I'm not interested in Titanfall, because I don't buy games when they lack a single player offline mode. If you don't mind online-only multiplayer games, then hands down Xbox all the way. Titanfall looks great, it's just not for me. Granted, PS4 has Little Big Planet 3 coming (I personally hate LBP- if I'm gonna play a platformer I'll play Nintendo on my Wii U, even the worst Nintendo platformer is still better than LBP), Bloodborne (another game not for me- I'm getting Lords of the Fallen, a much less gruesome, less gothic game of the genre), and Uncharted 4, while Xbox has games like Halo Master Chief, Sunset Overdrive, Scalebound, Quantum Break, Halo 5, Phantom Dust and Crackdown 3 on the way.

So yeah, it really just comes down to "Which system will have the most games YOU like?" PS4 renders slightly better framerates, stands on end and has a solid controller, while X1 has more interesting exclusives on the way, perfect for channeling multimedia like cable TV, and while the L1/R1 are a slightly awkward reach of the finger, the controller is otherwise much more ergonomic. I say just pick the one that has the most games you're interested in. All the rest is just noise.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@JaxonH

Thank you very much for the kind and in depth reply. As you recommend, I want to wait to see more games on each console and then base my decision. I am amazed at your HD consumption comment, as that makes the 32 GB that Nintendo offers sound about the same, or much bigger if you go physical.

The thing is that I have never had a MS console, so something like the Master Chief Collection is amazing value for a newcomer. And since I have a PS3, then TLOU Remastered and LBP3 don't interest me for a PS4. Same with The Evil Within.

And to end with a funny note. I have seen some of your avatars now, and they all are from Nintendo games. Thanks again!

@sinalefa

As a long time Xbox fan, I'll say the Master Chief Collection is the perfect game to get yourself acclimated to the Xbox experience. At least for me, Halo has always defined what Xbox is about. If Crackdown 3 is anything like the original that's another to keep an eye on, hopefully a 2015 release. And Quantum Break that game looks awesome. I'm probably getting an X1 later this year or early next myself, just so I have it when Quantum Break is finally released. Alan Wake was one of the best 360 games so anything Remedy does is high on the list of games to get excited about.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@Gamer83

I guess that getting Halo is like getting Mario if you get a Nintendo system. And all Halos in the same package sounds even better. I am also very interested in Forza.

PeTitosaurusStaff

PeTitosaurus said:

@sinalefa I hope so too! We're very appreciative of all kinds of interaction with readers; it's very rewarding getting to know you guys so that we know what interests you. It's also nice meeting new people! :)

@sinalefa

That's another great series, I'd definitely recommend Forza 5. Since I'm a bit of a frame rate snob, I can't say I'm looking forward to Forza Horizon 2 but if you can look past the whole 30 frames a second deal, I'd say that's another game to put on your list.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@Ubiquitous_Doom

Hi there! Thanks a lot. I find myself checking the site several times a week, when a year ago I barely knew NintendoLife had a sister Xbox site. This last E3 really put Microsoft's console on my map.