Incoming! Halo 5: Guardians Confirmed for Xbox One in 2015

Just what the doctor ordered.

343 Industries has confirmed the title and rough release window for the next title in the Halo series.

Halo 5: Guardians will launch in 2015 for Xbox One.

343's General Manager Bonnie Ross said:-

Halo 5: Guardians is a bigger effort than Halo 4. That applies to the content and scope of the game, as well as the technology in what’s now a brand new and more powerful engine. Certainly there are some core elements carried over from prior games, but we’ve invested a huge effort in retooling our tech to take full advantage of the Xbox One’s hardware and ecosystem to create worlds and experiences worthy of next-gen.

It’s a game that will hopefully demonstrate the talent, learnings and abilities of the 343 Industries team. A game that will incorporate the things we learned from Halo 4 about technology, aesthetics, performance and scale – and perhaps more importantly, understanding and embracing a community of gamers who love what lies at the heart of this game, and the limitless potential of the Halo universe.

And 2015 won’t simply be the year of Halo 5: Guardians, it will also be a year that offers us a unique opportunity. The opportunity to invite old friends and new audiences into that universe through the Halo television series, launched as a unique collaboration with Steven Spielberg and some of the finest creative minds in the business. A series that will stand alone, as well as complement and enrich the game experience. We’ll have more to share on the Halo television series as we near its projected fall 2015 release.

The company also confirmed that the title will be shown - unsurprisingly - as a part of the Microsoft E3 presser, which we'll be liveblogging for you on June 9th.

There's also the suggestion that something will be going on THIS year, potentially along the lines of Kinect Sports Rivals Preseason, where a portion of the game was released early and your progress continued on into the main game. Bonnie said:-

Many fans noted that I was very deliberate with my phrasing on stage at E3 last year. I spoke about a 'journey,' rather than a destination – and that journey definitely begins in 2014 with a giant leap, rather than one small step. We’ll give you much more information about our plans for this year at the Xbox E3 2014 Media Briefing on June 9, and we’re confident that “Halo” fans will be pretty excited about the special plans we have in store.

We. Cannot. Wait!

Sponsored links by Taboola

AnthinatorStaff

Anthinator said:

Really interesting poster. I wonder what it all means? Is that Cortano in a suit?

Super excite! I thought 343 did an exemplary job with Halo 4 and I can't wait to see what they can accomplish on more powerful hardware.

Knux

Knux said:

Now we just need that Halo 2 remake and everything will be gravy! ;)

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

So, my only concern is that they will try to follow in the footsteps of games like Titanfall, Destiny, and Plants vs Zombies. I don't do online-only. I NEED my offline single-player campaign. Nobody thinks that would actually happen with Halo, right? I mean, they WOULDN'T... would they?

Had a slight bit of hope for 2014 but Halo 3 didn't come out until nearly 2 years into 360's shelf life so I'm not too surprised. Definitely looking forward to learning more about this game though and am expecting E3 to be a good one for Halo fans.

Have to admit, I'm starting to regret not going with an Xbox One over PortStation 4 first.

@JaxonH
It'd be a pretty sh*tty move but given the success Titanfall has had it wouldn't surprise me if 343 does eventually go that route. Or do like Bungie is with Destiny where you can play singleplayer but have to be connected.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

343i has already taken that first step. Anyone remember Spartan Ops? Multiplayer-mode completely locked away-online only-paywall/Gold etc.etc.. No offline/local/SystemLink whatsoever. I don't think they'll pull a TitanFall, but I wouldn't put it past Microsoft.

As for this picture for Halo 5. Maybe MC is in a completely new set of armour since she mentioned 343i was rethinking aesthetics.

Eventually they should release a 360 version of 5.

@ThreadShadow

That's a good point. I actually liked Spartans Ops as a side activity but I prefer a full offline singleplayer campaign. If Halo goes away from that, eventhough it's my favorite franchise it will join Titanfall on my 'nice, but, not for me' list.