Talking Point: What Games Are You Playing This Weekend? - Issue Nine

Posted by Dave Letcavage

Titans, snakes, potty-mouthed kids and more!

Spring may have officially arrived yesterday, but that doesn't mean that the Earth has yet to thaw from an exceptionally cold and snowy winter. With many parts of the globe still enduring the seemingly never-ending effects of the fading season, it should come as no surprise that most of our staff is staying locked indoors this weekend with the latest and greatest games.

And wow, there are a bunch of them right now.

The big one, of course, is Titanfall. Grabbing tight hold of our attention with its frantic rock-em-sock-em-robot action, we've already spent many sleepless nights glued to the TV, and that's not likely going to change this weekend. Then how can we forget other great games like Dark Souls II, South Park: The Stick of Truth, and Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, all fighting for deserved time in our Xbox disc drives — or HDD if that's how you roll.

So now that we've addressed a strong portion of the options currently available, it's time to settle in with our staff as we share the specifics of our upcoming gaming indulgences. As usual, be sure to stick around until the end and take to the comments, where you can tell us what games will be inhabiting your consoles this weekend.

Ken Barnes

Titanfall: I just cannot stop playing this. I'm absolute garbage at it and am often the worst player on whichever team I'm assigned to, but I don't care. My kill/death ratio is creeping up over time, and I'm fairly sure that with a few more three or four hour "quick" sessions of play, the numbers will balance out.

Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare: I picked this up on the same day as Titanfall, and haven't so much as even taken it out of the shrink-wrapping. An absolute crime, given what I'm being told about it by seemingly everyone.

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes: From what I'm reading, this'll only taken about two cups of coffee to get through, so it would almost be rude not to see what all the fuss is about.

Dave Letcavage

Like Ken and Anthony, I haven't been able to resist Titanfall. I'm halfway through my second generation and working hard with my 40mm and shotgun to complete the challenges needed to reach generation three. It's utterly addicting, and a total adrenaline rush. We've been so inspired by the game that we may even bring a couple fun Titanfall-related features to pX in the coming weeks — so stay tuned for that!

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes is also on my radar, but I've yet to decide whether I want to get it now for full price, or wait until cheap used copies surfaces in the coming weeks. I have a feeling I'll end up waiting, to be honest. Other than that I may check out Pokemon: Battle Trozei and hunt down a reason to get more use out of my PS Vita, which has been unfairly neglected lately.

Anthony Bacchus

Oh Titanfall, you complete me. You had me at "Your titan is now ready," and now I just can't stop thinking about you. You're just so well balanced, easy to pick up and a total blast whether I'm enjoying your company for 10 minutes or 10 hours. Ahem...

Sorry, I tend to daydream about giant robots from time to time. All joking aside, Titanfall has sucked me in, and I'm someone that hardly plays online shooters anymore. It really must be experienced to fully understand the palm-sweating action of Titanfall and I'll be spending most of my weekend ripping it up on Xbox One.

Over on the aging Xbox 360, I'll be continuing my epic quest in South Park: The Stick of Truth. I've been taking my time exploring the town, wrapping up side quests, making friends, looting junk and laughing hysterically. I wish I was further along in the game but I also don't want to rush my way through it.

Now if you'll excuse me, Titanfall is beckoning me. It's true, I have a hard time saying no.

Eric Santana

This weekend is dedicated to progressing further through Dark Souls II and beginning my playthrough of Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster (that is a mouthful). Dark Souls II has been a wonderful journey so far and I'm a huge fan of the FF games in general so I can't wait to see the improvements on the HD remaster and get to play the content never released here in the states. If I can pry myself away from those two I might give Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes a go and see what Kojima and his new engine can deliver.

Josephine Johnson

Since I polished off South Park: Stick of Truth in one weekend and Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare is now thoroughly broken, I guess I'll finally be getting hands on withTitanfall. From what I played in the beta, it looks like this will be a heck of a game, featuring some of the most fluid movement I've seen in a shooter.

I've also been getting back in to Powerstar Golf (prompted by someone mentioning it in our forums) so, hopefully, I'll be unlocking a few more courses and abilities. I've still got Dead Rising 3 to complete as well, meaning I'm hoping for bad weather to give me the excuse to stay indoors as a sunny weekend will put a serious dent in my gaming time!

Now over to you, valued reader!

Is your weekend shaping up similar to ours, or are you facing an entirely different lineup of games? Maybe you're dusting off retro consoles and reliving classic adventures? What about you PlayStation 4 owners out there — will you be exploring Seattle in inFamous: Second Son? Whatever you plan on playing, we'd like to hear about it in the comments!

SunnyShores

SunnyShores said:

Call of duty ghosts of course. it's clan wars. that and titanfall, it keeps calling my name. and maybe squeezing some infamous ss in there. if I have time. gotta go my titan is ready.

Thrash13

Thrash13 said:

I might have to take credit as the one who mentioned Powerstar Golf in the forum. ;-)

I'll be playing PS3 this weekend (mostly WWE 2K14 with my son), but I'm going to be moving on to the PS4 or One soon. I went to Gamestop last night, but I couldn't pull the trigger. LOL

Generik

Generik said:

I'll definitely be playing Titanfall this weekend. That game is like crack and I'm pretty sad that I decided to purchase the physical copy instead of digital as I realize it should always be available on tap without needing a disk swap. I may pop Thief back in, but I'm probably deluding myself thinking that way. I picked up Bravely Default at the same time I got Titanfall and I've basically stolen my son's 3DS so that I can get some old school style JRPG back into my life. That will most assuredly see a few hours of play this weekend as well.

Tasuki

Well I recently got back into World of Warcraft I have a druid there that I want to get to max level that I have been putting off way to long. Also will probably get some time in on Crazy Taxi on my DC that I picked up a few weeks ago. Such an amazing system the DC is.

@Thrash13 - You're SO indecisive! Haha. Is there anything in particular that is keeping you from choosing one over the other? We might be able to help you make a decision. :)

@Generik - That's funny — I have digital, but wish I would've purchased a physical copy instead. It's extremely, EXTREMELY convenient having the game on the hard drive, though the collector in me hates that a Titanfall case isn't on my shelf. I'm such a dinosaur sometimes.

@Tasuki - So happy to hear you're loving the Dreamcast. I know I say this a lot, but it really was/is a fantastic console. Mine gets played by my wife and I at least once a week. Speed Devils, Rush 2049 and Sega Rally 2 are the ones that keep us coming back regularly.

Thrash13

Thrash13 said:

@DRL- My wife is definitely tired of hearing me go back and forth, lol. She was hoping I'd get a new system last night, so I'd be done with it. If I could get an XBox One with any game I want (I'm not sure on Titanfall or Forza), I'd probably go for it. Also, the inFAMOUS release has me thinking PS4 perhaps. Decisions decisions.. Either way, I'll be pretty well off with whatever I choose.

Generik

Generik said:

@DRL I can't disagree with you about wanting the case on the shelf. The only game I've gone digital with so far on Xbone is Tomb Raider. Although now that I've beaten it I wish I could trade it in..LOL. Part of me also regrets not making that brash decision to splurge on the Titanfall collector's edition with the statue. Now that would look amazing on the shelf!

@DRL Sega Dreamcast is probably my favourite system, original Xbox and the NES being my other top favs :-)

Gears of War 2/3: Will be finishing off story for 2, then moving onto 3.
Halo Reach/ 4: Playing multiplayer, lots and lots of team slayer!!

@Thrash13 - You don't have the Titanfall bundle where you live? And I see how it's hard to choose from the two consoles when we don't know all that much about future releases. From what's available now, though, I think it's a much easier decision. Between Titanfall or inFamous, it's either you want an online-centric game to play with other people, or you want a solo experience. Do you have friends with either system? If you know anyone with an Xbox One, I can admit that Titanfall is incredibly fun when playing with friends and working together as a team.

@Generik - As much as I don't think I could bring myself to spend that much on a collectors edition, I was tempted by that statue. Have you seen one in person yet? It's absolutely epic!

@hydeks - It seems that we have quite the Dreamcast fan club at pX. I love it! :) And good choice on Halo — playing Titanfall has me insanely excited for Halo 5.

Tasuki

@DRL: Totally I am just seeing why the DC is such a loved system. I mean its 2 generations old but I am enjoying it as much as my PS4 lol. In fact I am tore on whether I want to buy games for my PS4 or games for my DC right now. I am purposely keeping away from my local retro store till I have the money to spend cause I know when I go in there I will be walking out with some DC games.

Generik

Generik said:

@DRL I have not seen the statue in person. I think it would probably be best for my wallet if I did not. LOL

Just got inFamous: Second Son so I'll be playing that. Will probably mix in a few sessions of MGS V: Ground Zeroes as well.

BadWolf09

BadWolf09 said:

I am still pusing through Luigi's Mansion but taking MANY breaks for Pokemon Battle Trozei - so addicting!