Batman Leaps to Next-Gen With Arkham Finale

Batman: Arkham Knight Confirmed for Xbox One

The finale of the Batman: Arkham series is in development with Rocksteady and will play out exclusively on next-gen platforms, Warner Bros. has confirmed today.

Batman: Arkham Knight is the title of the last game in the series, and skips the Xbox 360 this time around, debuting exclusively on Xbox One, PS4, and PC only. Initially, the title was outed by UK retailer GAME this morning, but it has since been revealed that this month's Game Informer cover does indeed feature the new game. On top of that, Warner Bros. have released a trailer entitled "Father to Son" which gives players a sneak peek.

Arkham Knight will release in 2014, and will feature an open-world Gotham City, complete with driveable Batmobile. Those that preorder the game will receive a code that entitles them to play as Harley Quinn, and they'll pick up a bunch of exclusive challenge maps for their trouble, too. Penguin, Two-Face, and Scarecrow are confirmed as being included in the game, which features Batman at "the peak of his powers" according to game director Sefton Hill.

Game Screenshots

I've been down on both PS4 and X1 lately but I have to say this announcement has me more than hyped and I think this will be the kind of game that absolutely justifies the jump to the new generation. Really hoping for a 2014 release, we'll see if it happens but great news that a new Arkham game is on the way. Some really good news too is the Batmobile, Rocksteady developing the game and it's new gen only so the game won't be held back by PS3 and 360. Unfortunate news for PS3, 360 and Wii U owners but I think this was kind of inevitable. Good news for the Sony and MS crowd that hasn't upgraded yet, the game will always be there when they do make the jump. I do feel bad for the Nintendo only guys and gals who enjoy the Arkham games though. This has to be a tough one to swallow even if some will pretend like it's not.

SuperKMxAdmin

SuperKMx said:

@Gamer83 Some will indeed pretend like it's not a big deal. I've seen the topic over at NL that proves you right!

@SuperKMx

LOL, to be fair though, the reaction there wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. More people than I expected acknowledged while they may not care about the game themselves it is a big deal.

I just wonder if a down port would be considered later on? WB Montreal has done some good work on Wii U, let Rocksteady focus on making this game for the new gen now then after it's been out, get Montreal started on a Wii U version? It's not an ideal situation but it's better than nothing for Nintendo gamers. I guess it would really come down to if WB thinks it's worth it from a financial standpoint.

SuperKMxAdmin

SuperKMx said:

@Gamer83 I would imagine that Montreal would be working on the next game (if there's going to be one) after this. Seems that they're heading toward a "Rocksteady one year, Montreal the next" kind of pattern. I know this is the end of the "Arkham" franchise, but I imagine that spin-offs and new franchises with the Batman name will be worked on after this. I dare say it isn't in their financial interests to get a Wii U version out there, as sad as I am to say it.

@SuperKMx

You're probably right about it not being in the best financial interest of WB to port Arkham Knight. And yeah, I'm thinking we'll be getting plenty of spinoffs going forward. It'll be interesting to see if the spinoffs get put on Wii U. Having a PS4 I'm not too worried about being able to get the future games and even if I had a Wii U as well and the games did show up there I'd go with the PS4 versions. It just seems like a really crappy situation for Wii U owners. This is why when I was making the decision to make the jump to next-gen I held off on the Wii U, because I had a feeling the third party support would be questionable at best.

Tasuki

Really excited for this one. I feel bad for Wii U owners but I can understand why at this point there is no Wii U version. Still this is great news for PS4 and Xbox One owners.