Vertical Orientation Not Supported on Xbox One, Could Damage Console

Posted by Anthony Bacchus

Cites slot loading drive as a factor

If you've been wondering why we haven't seen any pictures of the Xbox One vertically since it's reveal back in May — and you may want to sit down for this — the truth is that the new console won't be supporting it.

The news broke during the Tokyo Game Show when Albert Panello, the senior director of product management and planning at Xbox, told Gamespot that the Xbox One won't support vertical orientation and that it could potentially damage your console.

"We don't support vertical orientation; do it at your own risk. It wouldn't be a cooling problem, we just didn't design the drive for vertical. Because it's a slot loading drive, we just didn't design it for both. We found, interestingly enough, that 80 percent of people, believe it or not, have their Xbox [360] horizontally"

So technically speaking then, the Xbox One COULD stand vertically; it just isn't the smartest idea due to the slot loading drive. We can't help being a little bit puzzled by Panello's words, however. Both the PS3 and PS4 have slot loading disc drives and still support vertical orientation, so why is it any different for Microsoft's console?

Does this news strike you as a bit odd? Are you part of the 80 per cent of Xbox 360 owners that sit the console horizontally, or the 20 per cent that like to stand it up? Early on in its lifespan, many reports of 360 consoles being knocked down and damaging game discs arose. Perhaps this is just Microsoft covering all of their bases? Leave your thoughts below.

[via gamespot.com]

Generik

Generik said:

I used to have one of my 360 consoles vertical but now they are all horizontal. I actually have no place to put a vertical console in my entertainment center so this news doesn't really affect me.

Tasuki

I never stand my consoles vertically. Even thought they should it alot with systems like PS2, Wii and the Xbox 360. For one thing I have a bunch of cats and I am afraid that standing it up like that would make it too easy for them to knock it over and break it. Also I just do like the look of consoles standing on their ends like that.

So for me that news doesn't really effect me.

I'm not a fan of standing my consoles vertically, anyway. I don't like the way it looks. Now that I think about it, my Wii U is standing upright, but that's only because there's no more room on the TV stand.

Was never comfortable with the idea of setting a console up vertically so this doesn't effect me much either. I think it's actually a good call by MS.

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

I don't have any of mine vertical anymore because I'm afraid they will get knocked over and break ever since it happened to my original PS2 years ago