Xbox One Will Launch in Japan Next Year

Posted by Anthony Bacchus

Japanese gamers shouldn't have to wait too much longer

Microsoft has confirmed today that despite the Xbox 360's lackluster performance in Japan, they are not being deterred from launching the Xbox One in that territory.

President and CEO of Microsoft Japan, Yasuyuki Higuchi, revealed in an interview with 4gamer that their next-gen console will be available in the country next year, promising that the wait isn't that far behind the November North American launch. Below is the translation:

"For the launch of Xbox One Japan is a Tier 2 country and not a Tier 1 country, so it’ll come with the second wave, that will be delayed a little bit [compared to North America]."

Tier 1 refers to the countries that will sell the Xbox One first and Tier 2 will be the countries that follow afterwards, typically meaning a release in 2014.

Microsoft has previously stated that they are determined to continue supporting and developing within the Japan market even though the Xbox 360 failed to create any sort of impact against Sony and Nintendo. Perhaps things will change this generation but it's clear the Xbox One will have quite the uphill battle to climb.

[via dualshockers.com, 4gamer.net]

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

To be honest, I don't even think the Xbox One will outsell the original Xbox in Japan.

@MrSRArter I would agree with you on that one, and the 360 didn't do well over there at all. Nintendo and Sony, cause there Japanese companies, rule over there.

I remember reading a article where a executive went over there, and they had a special stand with all their games on it, he asked what the sign said and he answered basicly "American Crap". I have a feeling me and Japanese gamers would get along, cause I hate the amount of shooters Xbox releases also.

Except Xbox isn't only about shooters but it's pointless to argue with people who only like Nintendo so I won't bother.

@Gamer83 I like Nintendo and Sony, so don't bother judging. And yea, Xbox is only shooters, that or American RPG's, mainly shooters.

Hetsumani

Hetsumani said:

"Japanese gamers shouldn't have to wait too much longer"
Don't think they are.

@hydeks

You talk the same trash about Sony. The only company I ever see you praising is Nintendo. Which is fine, everybody has their preference, but your statement that Xbox is only about shooters or American RPGs is nonsense, period.

DaveGX

DaveGX said:

"American crap"? Pff! Just shows how ungreatful Japan can be. We buy and have full appreciate all the good they have to offer, and this is what we get in return? Maybe we all should just boycot them and start taking notes. Just saying. :|

@DaveGX

To be fair, I thought Xbox One could be categorized as 'crap' before the policy changes. Some of the stuff MS wanted to do with this system was idiotic.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@Hetsumani
There seems to be fans of MS's consoles in Japan. I tend to see them being drawn in anime and manga at least. So there's SOME kind of audience for it over there.