Pachter Predicts Xbox One Will Sell Out at Launch

Posted by Dave Letcavage

Also shares thoughts on pricing

As we inch nearer and nearer to this year’s E3, speculation regarding the launch prices of next-gen consoles from Microsoft and Sony seem to be a hot topic amongst gamers and industry analysts – and for good reason. With both systems expected to release around the same time this year, many would assume that a competitive price point could be the difference between instant success and a slow start, but everyone’s favorite industry analyst, Michael Pachter, seems to think that won’t matter.

In an interview with Game Zone, Michael Pachter – of Wedbush Securities – predicts the Xbox One will sell for $399.99 at launch, which he expects to be slightly more than the rivaling Playstation 4, retailing somewhere around $349.99. When asked which console will initially garner better sales figures, Pachter proclaimed, “The boxes will both sell out at the above prices.” With the premium Xbox 360 launching at $399.99 back in November 2005, this prediction seems to be realistically grounded, although we must wonder if that price would be for a core model or a “deluxe” version.

So, what do you think? If the Xbox One releases with a MSRP of $399.99, do you find that to be a reasonable enough price for you scoop one up right away, or are you more concerned about what games will launch with each system? Feel free to chatter on the matter in the comment section below.

[via gamezone.com]

I never should've went to school for journalism. I should've instead got a business degree then found something popular, pulled numbers out of my ass regarding whatever industry I chose to focus on, talked about it and then watch the money roll in.

@astroshamu

Yes, this is what Pachter does. I guess he figures if he predicts this for both consoles there's a chance he'll at least be half right, which is better than usual.

Luvbeers

Luvbeers said:

I will get one in December with Forza 5, but not at launch (unless the launch is in December). I would also be interested in playing AC4 on it, but still haven't played III. Anyone have a copy of ACIII they could post me? I will post it back when I am done (while we can still do this).

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

I see Pachter as hopelessly optimistic, unless it comes to Nintendo of course.

I really don't think casuals will suddenly flock to these consoles. Nor will all the "core gamers", because almost each console launch becomes less generally exciting than the last.

He's expecting these consoles (except for the Wii U) to be Wii selling consoles. Wii selling consoles People are already predicting the end of consoles, or even the end of gaming as we know it, and he thinks they'll be Wii selling consoles??

I wish I had that kind of optimism.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

Of course he predicts this. I really think he gets a backhander from Microsoft and Sony.

@Gamer83 yay, I so went into the wrong career path lol Pachter's a moron that gets paid to be an expert, that spews out moronic stuff...I've done that before, where's my money?

Therad

Therad said:

Of course both xone and ps4 will sell out at launch. If you haven't noticed, most high-profile gadgets does this. It has become a marketing ploy. For example, ms surface is a flop, but it still managed to sell out at launch.

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

@Therad They do that by lying about how many units are available. They claim a shortage and get the remainder ready for the second wave.