Greenberg: "Kinect Launch Will be Bigger Than Wii"

Posted by James Newton

Tough talk indeed

Cast your mind back four years to the launch of Nintendo's Wii console: it was quite a success, you might recall. It obviously made an impression on Microsoft bigwig Aaron Greenberg, who's got the other white console's sales in his sights.

We haven't given any projections beyond this holiday, but this will be the largest launch we've ever had as a business. We'll definitely sell more sensors than the Wii sold when it launched or the Xbox 360 sold when it launched.

According to Nintendo, over 600,000 Wii consoles were sold in the first eight days of availability Stateside, quite a yardstick for Microsoft to measure itself against. Let's just hope that recent reports of stock shortages don't get in the way of the sensor delivering on this sales promise.

[via eurogamer.net]

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

I like this guys style, he's basically a gaming pimp isn't he?

Bigger than Wii though? Pull the other one sunshine! :-p

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

I'm guessing they're somewhat artificially limiting the stock to make it seem like it's super popular, because it's sold out everywhere (not saying Nintendo didn't do that). It's a pretty popular sales technique around the holiday season especially. When parents can't find something they promised their kids for Xmas, they have to buy 2 things - one to have under the tree immediately, and the thing that was promised eventually.

I don't see it happening, but either way, it's still not a fair comparison. The Wii was a whole new console. The Xbox currently has had 4 years to build up a fairly large install base that only needs to get a peripheral that's CHEAPER than the Wii is (makes sense, because again, the Wii was a console, not a peripheral). When the Wii came out, most people didn't even know they wanted motion gaming. If Kinect sells that well, it's because the Wii paved the way and made people want that experience.

CommonSense64

CommonSense64 said:

It should outsell Wii because it is cheaper than Wii was at launch and most people who will buy Kinect will already have the system.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

The hell is this guy. I don't doubt Kinect's power to shift units, but still. The hell is this guy.

Cipher

Cipher said:

...The hell...?

I agree, Kinect should sell more than Wii over a short-term period (if it doesn't, Microsoft's blown its chances straight away). But over a long-term period, I doubt it.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

I dont think so either. I think it has a good shot at outselling Move in the long run, but I dont see it ever outselling Wii!

mjc0961

mjc0961 said:

@2: That was stupid when people said Nintendo did it and it's stupid now. No company wants to purposefully have low retail stock because it means they are making less money.

I mean, come on. They are business. They are here to make money. Anyone who thinks they would say "Hey, you know what! Let's make less money by not keeping stores stocked!" needs to get their head examined.

AlexWideScreen

AlexWideScreen said:

The fact of the matter is that MS says that this device will outsell both the Wii and XBox 360 on their respective launches, so IF they are limiting stock (which is very possible), they will still need to make more Kinect available than what the Wii and XBox 360 had on their launches. So if they pull this off, they obviously worked for it.

Magi

Magi said:

My dilemma is: open my Kinect immediately upon arrival and marvel at the awesomeness...or sell it on ebay for a ridiculously insane markup. Supply and demand...mmmmmmmmmmm

Hokori

Hokori said:

Umm Kinect isnt a new system, so... how can it be better than the wii ??

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

There is a chance because if the Kinect is as popular as the Wii, I'm sure they won't have any shortages of the product like the Wii did at launch.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@Otaku

Because it's a good product? I'm just speculating of course.

Now if you mean "How can it sell better than the Wii", that's a different story, and a very good question.:|